Diesel pickups?

/ Diesel pickups? #1  

Rob-D

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Hi gang,

I have a great diesel tractor (JD3320, TLB) and now I want a diesel truck to go with it. I'll be towing an RV 3,000 to 4,000 lbs. (fifth wheel) and my trailer for the tractor. (under 5,000 lbs. total for short distances)

I don't want a new truck but I do want 4x4 and probably an auto over a stick for the RV.

Love diesels!

Have at it!

Thanks,
Rob

/ Diesel pickups? #2  
I hate to try to talk you out of a Diesel, because I'd love to have one also, but look at the $$$$$. I'm just guessing here, but I'd say you will pay a minumum of $10,000 more for a used diesel truck in good condition. You don't need a 3/4 ton diesel truck for towing 5000 lbs.

That said, all big 3 make pretty good trucks. I know there are some Fords you want to stay away from, 2003-2004 ???? As you can guess from my name, I'm a little partial to Dodges. I own a 2007, 1/2 ton Quad Cab with the 5.7 hemi, but I would love to have a turbo Cummings diesel.

Good luck in your search. In my area it seems diesels are very hot sellers and command a premimum at the moment.

/ Diesel pickups? #3  
For that load, I would stick with a 1/2 ton pickup. Cheaper, rides better, and can easily haul that load.

Diesel is an expensive option. Diesel, and 3/4-ton and up are more expensive to maintain. Brakes, tires ect all jump in price when you jump to 3/4 ton(even in a gasser...).

I like my Ram CTD, but would look at a 1/2 ton if it were'nt for my larger 5th wheel, and previous 10' cabover camper.

Last edited:
   / Diesel pickups? #4  
I'm with the others. I've got two. I'm selling one (almost sold) and I'm keeping the other due to not wanting to take on another payment right now. I think these will be my last diesel trucks. Yes, they have their advantages but for occasional pulling and small weights you're wasting your money. With your set up I couldn't justify it.

/ Diesel pickups? #5  
I would not get one too old. My 98 Cummins doesn't like the low sulfur diesel that is made now-a-days. I've heard the same from friends that have older models. We live close to the border, so most of them drive to Mexico for their diesel. Myself, too scared to go to Mexico. I just make biodiesel. No problems with it.

4x4, if you have a lot of mud, I recommend gas. That diesel engine is HEAVY. I've gotten stuck in mud that my 4-cylinder Toyota would make doughnuts in. Oversized tires work fine though, that's what I had to do. Got tired of getting stuck.

I still wouldn't trade my Cummins. Have almost 250,000 miles and don't plan on getting another truck until my engine dies.

/ Diesel pickups? #6  
With a diesel truck you can fill up the tank & then come home & siphon what you need into your tractor.

/ Diesel pickups? #7  
Hi gang,

I'll be towing an RV 3,000 to 4,000 lbs. (fifth wheel) and my trailer for the tractor. (under 5,000 lbs. total for short distances)

I

I think your weights are light for the 5th wheel RV. I am thinking 9,000 lb plus dry weight. Even the ultra light bumper pulls are 5,000 plus pounds.

/ Diesel pickups? #8  
What 5th wheel RV do you have that will only be 4-5k lbs? That sounds awful light for a 5th wheel. If it really is that light when full as in with all your gear and liquids if self contained then you could stick with a 1/2-ton but when that weight adds on it could tend to be a little heavy on the payload side for a 1/2-ton.

A 3/4-ton may suit you better especially if you want a diesel. Post your budget for the truck then we will have a better idea of what your looking for.

You sound like a prime candidate for the 1/2-ton diesels that the big three may or may not be working on. :cool:

/ Diesel pickups? #9  
Agree with several posters that you do not need a diesel, but needs and wants are often at odds. If it were me and I wanted a diesel I would look at finding a good clean used one hopefully with lower miles prior to 2007 model year. That said I have a 2003 Duramax that I really like and may never sell. I only use it when I need it and it has 26,000 on the clock now.

/ Diesel pickups? #10  
I don't like reading the advice not to get a diesel. I recently rented a dump trailer and hauled some sand with a 1/2 ton Tahoe. It was horrible. I underestimated the amount of sand I put in, and between the trailer and the sand, it was about 9,000 pounds. I could barely make it up the hill I live on, and I expected my transmission to just fall onto the road and crumble into debris. When I made it home, I declared to my wife that I'd be getting a 3/4 ton diesel. In reality, it's unnecessary, I realize. But it's annoying hearing rational thought that opposes an impulse decision.