GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #11  
Look into what it cost to registure it too. I've heard that there are some pretty significant jumps in priced by the various States on commercial vehicles.

Eddie

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #12  
Recently I was asking someone why you don't see more people owning these cab over styles and he said plain and simple they are ugly. Frankly I'm glad there are perceived that way......keeps the price downhehehehe. I'm not trying to be cool just want the most truck for the buck. And those trucks IMO have way more value and practicability than a PU. I mentioned a few months ago about how Europe and the Middle East use nothing but cab overs. It was mentioned they ride bad but the guy who showed me his claimed it didn't ride any different than his Dodge Cummins he had. Only difference was it was 1/10th the price.
Had a guy show to my place yesterday with a Dodge dually Cummins with 165K mi and plenty of wear and tear on it he felt good to have bought it for 10K. Those things are just tooooo high for me. Maybe I should have been a pilot instead of a mechanic..........

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #13  
Cab overs in the line haul field have disappeared due to mileage concerns. You can't make a brick aerodynamic.
You cant make the very same brick aerodynamic either, when putting another brick (hood) in front of it...
If there was money to be saved on fuel cost due to aerodynamics, why would you see less than 0.1 percent of the European truck fleet being non COE ?? In Europe fuel is about double the price than in North America. I actually think our bricks, are more aerodynamically than the North american brick-behind-a-bricks because of just that fuel price ;)
In fact, they are experimenting with full sideskirts on trailers because the wind drag from the open side under the trailer and around the wheels, is creating so much drag.

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #14  
i am with Renze on this one. as far as medium duty trucks go these Isuzu perform as good as any with the diesel. the only downside seems to be towing ability. they seem to have the horsepower but not the gearing. they would do fine for city driving but not perform as well on the interstate. if not travelling through too many mountains or hwy. i would definitly go this route. i will also be replacing a 1 ton truck with one of these in the future for lighter work.

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #15  
As to the European use of COE designs, I can only guess. I would think the need for shorter tractors would be required for better maneuverability. Also, would there be less long distances traveled at a sustained speed? If that were the case, less benefits would be derived from aerodynamic designs.

IIRC, drivers here prefer COE trucks for the better ride and when the permitted length was extended (or the way they measure it was changed) the COE trucks fell out of style for most industries.

Aaron Z