Is it worth it getting a 2 1/2" pintle receiver over a 2"?

/ Is it worth it getting a 2 1/2" pintle receiver over a 2"? #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
There is quite a bit of difference in price in the mounts, but I don't want to get cheap where it may count. I'm not going to get into discussions about how much I tow on my trailers on my property, but for the sake for figuring, let's just say that I'll be pulling a total combined weight of around 22,000 pounds.

My current pintle hitch is rated for 15 tons. However, the 2" pintle mounting plate says it's rated for 10,000 pounds and is only a 2" insert; which requires me to use a sleeve. Thoughts?

/ Is it worth it getting a 2 1/2" pintle receiver over a 2"? #2  
When I think pintle, I think heavy duty and therefore would go with the 2.5".

Is your pintle one of those with the four bolt pattern that allows for different height settings on the part that slides into the receiver? I have seen grade eight bolts fail with those. Criss crossed safety chains are a good thing!

Been too long to remember what size receiver that was on.

/ Is it worth it getting a 2 1/2" pintle receiver over a 2"?
Yes, height adjustment is allowed via different attachment points. I think grade 8 is standard hardware. I don't think I want the 'weak link' to be the pintle receiver plate.

/ Is it worth it getting a 2 1/2" pintle receiver over a 2"? #4  
If in question I would not skimp. I have broken a hitch and its no fun.

Chris

/ Is it worth it getting a 2 1/2" pintle receiver over a 2"?
If in question I would not skimp. I have broken a hitch and its no fun.

Chris

I've not, and would prefer to keep it that way. Sold. I'm going with a 2 1/2' insert with a 15 ton rating.

/ Is it worth it getting a 2 1/2" pintle receiver over a 2"? #6  
i recently was in the same predicament. i asked a welder friend what his thoughts were and he forwarded the question to an engineer at the shop he works at. the engineer ran some numbers and i ended up having a custom 3" receiver built for my truck. the weak link was in the pin that holds the sleeve. with the 2 1/2" receiver pin i was right at the limit for sheer strength. to try to use a larger pin in a 2 1/2" sleeve comprimises the sleeve by making the wall smaller around the pin hole. overkill was fine to me in this situation and when it was all said and done didn't cost much more than going 2 1/2".
good luck,

/ Is it worth it getting a 2 1/2" pintle receiver over a 2"? #7  
What kind of vehicle are you planning to use to pull it Dargo?