Adding Trailer Brakes, another question

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question #1  

Estif

I've read through the other thread about adding trailer brakes, and I have a question. I've never had or used a trailer with brakes, so I found the whole electric v. surge comparison very interesting. Especially since I'm starting to shop for a trailer...

But am I correct in getting the idea that brakes can be added to a trailer without brakes by just bolting some sort of assembly on to the axles and then running wires or hydraulic lines? From an admittedly limited understanding and examination of a few catalogs/websites, I would have thought adding brakes would mean changing the whole axle assembly (or assemblies) to ones with brakes? Ahh the many things I learn as I blunder along...

Steve

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question #2  
Brakes can be added to a lot of axels, by installing the appropriate backer plates, and brake drums, as well as shoes etc.
By the time you add in the cost of all parts, and labor to install them, it would usually be cheaper to change the whole axel.

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question #3  
Trailer brake axles are just trailer axles with brake assemblies. There might be some axles like some of the stubs I use that are made for such light duty that they don't have the flanges for brake backing plates.

If you're looking at a used trailer without brakes and you're thinking you'd like to have brakes on the trailer (you're a smart cookie thinking like that) then a trip to your trailer manufacturer supply store will be the place to go. You bring the numbers off the tag on the axle. If you can't find numbers on the axle bring the hub with bearings. They can take it from there.

If you're going to change to brakes and you'd like your trailer wheel pattern to match your tow vehicles now is the time to do it.

Brakes on a trailer is important if you're towing one with any weight at all.

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question
Thanks, guys. Clears up that question just fine.

I hadn't actually gotten so far as finding a trailer I liked and thinking about putting brakes on it. More like I've decided a trailer would be a good thing for several tasks. The most strenuous of these tasks would be hauling the tractor. Not very often, and not great distances, but still. And it's obvious to me that brakes are needed for that. I forget the exact rule of thumb, but something about when the trailer weight is comparable to the weight of the tow vehicle...and that certainly applies here. I've borrowed a 16' a couple times to pick up loads of steel. No brakes, and that bothered me even though the load I picked up was only in the thousand-pound class. No incidents, either, so I don't know if the bother was all in my head or real. But if it's my trailer, it'll have brakes, and then that worry won't be there.

Steve

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question #5  
In Ohio a trailer over 2000# gross or net MUST have brakes!
I haved pulled trailers w/o brakes before but if ever in an
accident the ambulace chasers will be seeing $$$$$$$$$$$.
It isn't worth it to me not to have brakes.
If u buy new trailer pull out BMV book and ask what the
GVW of trailer is make them put brakes on it.
The new trucks are pre-wired, just add controller and plug in.

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question #6  
I have more miles in front of trailers than some folks have driving, and have towed a zillion different ones. BY FAR my favorite brake system is electric, and I like the Kelsey-Hays unit for actuation. The KH is easy to dial from heavy to light and that keeps you from sliding trailer tires when the trailer is unloaded. Here is my rule on braking: "The pickup and trailer combination should stop slightly better than the pickup does empty." That is to say that the trailer should be a positive braking force, even when unloaded. With the same foot pressure on the brake pedal, you should stop better WITH the trailer than without. I've also never liked the idea of putting brakes on only one axle of a tandem axle trailer. To me, that's foolishness, and is asking for trouble. I've bought a few trailers which had poopy brakes, and there is nothing like spending a day really getting things RIGHT. CLEAN up the mechanisms and PAINT the parts; ADJUST each brake perfectly; SOLDER all electrical connections, and the next time you push on that brake pedal it will pay you back; and the next time, and the next time, and the nex.....well, you get the idea. CJDave (Mr trailer)

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question #7  
In NY any trailer weighing over 1000 lbs must have brakes. I don't tow very often myself but have talked to several that have. Most claim that they prefer dual axle trailers to only have brakes on one axle. Their reasoning is that in the event that the brakes on the trailer lock up under hard braking the trailer will tend to stay behind the tow vehicle better if one set of wheels on the trailer keep rolling. I thankfully don't have any personal experience with this condition, just repeating what I have heard from others.

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question #8  
it's a self-fullfilling prophecy......by having brakes on only one axle that axle locks up easily, especially when the trailer is unloaded, so they feel like the unbraked axle is their lifesaver. In about a gazillion miles of towing, I have never had a trailer lock up unless I was too lazy or too distracted to dial off the actuator after I unloaded, and in that case, it was shame on me. These "urban myths" are easy to propagate sometimes especially if no one really analyzes them. I bought a used pickup once that had the brake actuator connected to the DISC BRAKE side of the master cylinder. The guy I bought it from had nothing but bad words to say about electric trailer brakes, and since he was an "expert" he knew when something is just no da-m good. I noticed that he had a slew of unnecessary resistors on the inner panel of the fender and checked to see if the line was hooked up wrong, and sure enough. I told him that there was no point in me trying second-guess an "Expert" like him. I bought the truck and chuckled all the way home. Dave

/ Adding Trailer Brakes, another question #9  
Steve,something to look in to....some states do NOT allow surge brakes.didn`t relize this untill i recieved my Boat US trailering mag....had quite a write up elect vrs hyd(surge ) brakes.Appears surge brakes in order to back up you must lock out the brake assy...thus no brakes then.i believe electric is the easyiest and most efficent assembly there is...as you can control the amount of braking by the reostat on the controller. Sid