Convert landscape trailer to dump trailer

/ Convert landscape trailer to dump trailer #1  

jeffah

Tractor
Kubota BX24
First of all, since this is my first post, I want to say thanks for all the great information I got just by hanging around here for a few months.

After months of research I purchased a BX24 with under 200 hours, and I have been loving it.

My current project doesn't directly involve my tractor though.

I have a 7x16 landscape trailer that I would like to convert to a dump trailer. It needs a new deck and to be rewired anyway so I figure now is the best time to do it anyway. I have an 07 Silverado 2500HD gas so I know that I have to be careful about how heavy I make this thing or I am going to run out of truck before I fill up the trailer.

So my question is whether a typical trailer has a strong enough frame to support a dump body?

I would consider shortening the trailer, but I dont think the BX24 will fit on anything smaller than 16' which is a tight fit already.

I don't need the dump trailer to be 16' so my other consideration was to buy one of those 800 dollar 5x10s that I see on ebay and convert that to a dump setup, but that is more tags and titles and inspections - 3 things I hate to deal with.

I am not a welding or automotive expert by any means, but I have friends who can help me out and am not in a rush to have this done. However if I am going to better off just buying a 5x10 dump trailer just let me know.

Thanks so much in advance.
Jeff

/ Convert landscape trailer to dump trailer #2  
First of all, since this is my first post, I want to say thanks for all the great information I got just by hanging around here for a few months.

After months of research I purchased a BX24 with under 200 hours, and I have been loving it.

My current project doesn't directly involve my tractor though.

I have a 7x16 landscape trailer that I would like to convert to a dump trailer. It needs a new deck and to be rewired anyway so I figure now is the best time to do it anyway. I have an 07 Silverado 2500HD gas so I know that I have to be careful about how heavy I make this thing or I am going to run out of truck before I fill up the trailer.

So my question is whether a typical trailer has a strong enough frame to support a dump body?

I would consider shortening the trailer, but I dont think the BX24 will fit on anything smaller than 16' which is a tight fit already.

I don't need the dump trailer to be 16' so my other consideration was to buy one of those 800 dollar 5x10s that I see on ebay and convert that to a dump setup, but that is more tags and titles and inspections - 3 things I hate to deal with.

I am not a welding or automotive expert by any means, but I have friends who can help me out and am not in a rush to have this done. However if I am going to better off just buying a 5x10 dump trailer just let me know.

Thanks so much in advance.
Jeff

Dont do it. First thing is the axles on the standard landscape trailer are 7,000# total, 3,500# each. A standard trailer like you have weighs about 1,500# leaving 5,500# for cargo. Also the frame is not up to the task. By the time you beef it up and add the dump box, pump, cylinder you are pushing 4,000# and now have 3,000# for cargo. You would not even be able to haul your tractor.

You really need to get a second trailer. Keep the current trailer for toting the tractor and pick up a 12' dump with two 5,200# axles for a 10,000# total load. Again it will weigh about 3,500# empty and leave you able to carry about 3 tons which will keep you legal with your truck.

I have been in the trailer business for about 20 years. I have never been able to make a trailer cheaper than I can buy one. I have 3 welders, plasma cutter, band saw, torch, ect and even with all the tools the materials have always worked out to more than the cost of a trailer that is pre made by someone else.

Chris

/ Convert landscape trailer to dump trailer
That all makes sense. If it was so easy everyone would just buy a cheap trailer and convert it I guess.

I do enjoy projects, but maybe this just isn't the one for me.

Thanks

/ Convert landscape trailer to dump trailer #4  
I agree with Diamond Pilot (again) that converting the landscape trailer is not the way to go.

If you want to play with hydraulics and convert a dump trailer, buy an old pickup bed trailer and convert that. I've always wanted to do that. There are a lot of ready made kits for converting a pickup bed to dump. Be wise about your dump hinge point. Ask a lot of questions here. There are people much more knowledgeable than me about it.

/ Convert landscape trailer to dump trailer #5  
Dont do it. First thing is the axles on the standard landscape trailer are 7,000# total, 3,500# each. A standard trailer like you have weighs about 1,500# leaving 5,500# for cargo. Also the frame is not up to the task. By the time you beef it up and add the dump box, pump, cylinder you are pushing 4,000# and now have 3,000# for cargo. You would not even be able to haul your tractor.

You really need to get a second trailer. Keep the current trailer for toting the tractor and pick up a 12' dump with two 5,200# axles for a 10,000# total load. Again it will weigh about 3,500# empty and leave you able to carry about 3 tons which will keep you legal with your truck.

I have been in the trailer business for about 20 years. I have never been able to make a trailer cheaper than I can buy one. I have 3 welders, plasma cutter, band saw, torch, ect and even with all the tools the materials have always worked out to more than the cost of a trailer that is pre made by someone else.

Chris

Very true, alot cheaper to buy one already made than doing it yourself.....