Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #2  
Great test! It really shows just how close these trucks really are. I really wish they had waited until the 2011 RAM HD's were released though...

A few interesting notes: The Cummins which does not require Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) was constantly within 1mpg of the GM/Ford diesels which require $2.99 per gallon DEF extra. So much for DEF adding big fuel mileage increases.
Also, the Cummins with almost 100 lb.ft less power constantly kept right with the "power kings" of the diesel war and was over $8000 cheaper MSRP.

The "gas guzzler" HEMI was 2-3mpg better than the Ford/GM V8 gasser's and made the same or more power from a smaller 5.7l block.

With the changes coming to the RAM HD for 2011, I bet it would be on top considering the 2010 models came within a fraction of first place in each category. I would still take a tried and proven RAM with a proven drivetrain any day. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #3  
Great read, I'll have to read more of it when I have time. Two things that jumped out at me, how well the Hemi did, since some people on this board say its a lousy truck motor;). And why did the 1 ton Ram perform worse than the others in terms of loaded, unloaded, and the hill climb? The 3/4 tons were all very close as were the gassers. I looked at gear ratios and they were all the same. Is the 1 ton Ram that much heavier?

Like you said, it shows how close they are and I'm not sure you can go wrong by a new heavy duty pickup from any of the big three.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #4  
I just read this from front to back. They all seem pretty close. The biggest difference was features which Dodge seemed to lack over the GM and Ford offerings.

The biggest area where one truck shined in my eyes is the speed and time for the hill climbs on the diesel trucks. Ford had a real advantage there which is what I do hauling heavy loads up and down serious steep grades many times from a dead stop or at low speeds.

I will give GM credit on its brakes. The ones on my 05 Dmax sucked compared to the Ford diesels I have owned. It seems they now have best in class breaking in the 1 ton diesel segment. Another area they improved on was the crummy interiors. Looks like they may have a winner. While they have done some things right I will not be buying any GM products for all they have done wrong.

Cant wait to see how Dodge comes back at the competition. While I am a Ford HD guy I would buy a Dodge diesel if they could make a product that beat them out.

At the end of the day they are all very close. Some do this better than others but each have a strong point. My dream truck is still a F-350 SRW 4x4 with a Cummins that makes 400HP and 800 FT LB TRQ with a 6 speed Torq-Shift tranny. I guess I will have to hold my breath.

Chris

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #5  
From an area of the oilfields of Alberta where P/U's are working trucks traveling mostly gravel and mud roads I hear the Fords limp in with sick transmissions and the Chevy and Dodge come in with broken front suspension parts.:)

The most popular and has been for some years now are Dodges.:)

Don't know if the Fellows out there pay much attention to Magazine Reports.:confused:

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #6  
D.P., if you look at the gear ratios Ford uses in their transmission, that most likely explains why they won the hill climbs with the 1 ton trucks. Kudos to Ford for building them that way. I don't know why Chevy and Dodge wouldn't gear theirs the same way. With six speeds, why not gear the first 4 gears for acceleration and pulling power, you always have 5th and 6th gears for fuel economy on the highway.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #7  
D.P., if you look at the gear ratios Ford uses in their transmission, that most likely explains why they won the hill climbs with the 1 ton trucks. Kudos to Ford for building them that way. I don't know why Chevy and Dodge wouldn't gear theirs the same way. With six speeds, why not gear the first 4 gears for acceleration and pulling power, you always have 5th and 6th gears for fuel economy on the highway.

Yea, I noticed that. I have no experience with a Cummins so I can not commit but pulling the same load with my 05 Dmax was night and day difference from my 06 Powerstroke. The Powerstroke seemed to have the gearing right while the Dmax seemed to be missing a gear ratio. It was really noticeable when downshifting.

What really caught my eye was the way the Ford was geared it had the least percentage of loss when towing. I know the Dodge was handicapped by the older motor with less power so it will be interesting to see how they strike back.

Chris

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #8  
anyone else notice all the "heavy duty" trucks are still LT trucks?

as i clicked the link i was hopeing for a show down of F450,F550,F650 and similar trucks.

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #9  
anyone else notice all the "heavy duty" trucks are still LT trucks?

as i clicked the link i was hopeing for a show down of F450,F550,F650 and similar trucks.

The class 4,5, and 6 trucks (F450, F550, F650, RAM 4500,5500, etc...) are "Medium Duty" trucks. It makes sense to me... :laughing:

/ Heavy Duty Pickup Shootout #10  
I found the article really interesting to read. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about how close the three manufacturers really are in almost every area. I've owned trucks from all three but they've varied in the model year and specifications.