Wheel Spacers for Trailer?? Opinions?

/ Wheel Spacers for Trailer?? Opinions?
Wow, this thread is picking up steam and I thought it was about done. DP, Willl, J J, thanks for the info on removing and replacing the studs. Don't have a 2lb hammer, but I do have a 3lb'r :thumbsup:

K7LN, I did think about the possibility of wobble at speed causing rubbing but with the spacer on, I can see a good bit of daylight between the tire and the skirt. The axle with the drums had enough clearance without the spacer, but looking from underneath, it'll be close if the tire spins out of round a bit. Time will tell.

J J, before I'd spend money on new rims, then have the hassle of remounting the tires, I'd just find a shop to make me up and install new skirts. That would have to be less money I would think, but I'm down the rabbit hole now, so might as well keep going. :D

Renze, if I follow your question, the wheel centers via the studs or bolts. The hub is considerably smaller in diameter than the inside of the rim. Besides, the spacers fit snugly and are the same diameter as the hub.

Basically, at this point, I will measure and order new studs for both sides before I start on fixing the skirt on the other side. After that, might hook up the brakes and give her a new coat of paint.

Thanks for your help.

/ Wheel Spacers for Trailer?? Opinions? #12  
Too late now unless you wanna start over but new sheetmetal pre-made fender backs are less than $10 each-

Tandem Fender Back - 18 Guage - Backs - Trailer Fenders - Trailer Parts On-Line Store | Nuera Transport

Shipping to me for 2 is $8.50, your location will be different. I've had great luck with the Nuera trailer supply...have bought a good bit from them lately for several trailer projects:thumbsup:

If you don't weld then you could pop rivit them in.

Interesting. Are these galvanized? or is plain steel the norm? Pop riveting is another interesting though. I guess I could send the wheel spacers back and eat the cost of the PT plywood. I'm sure I could find a use for the rest of the 4x8 sheet.

/ Wheel Spacers for Trailer?? Opinions? #14  
Did you check to see if the axel is centered it could off center by a little and if centered you would not need spacers.

/ Wheel Spacers for Trailer?? Opinions? #15  
Renze, if I follow your question, the wheel centers via the studs or bolts. The hub is considerably smaller in diameter than the inside of the rim. Besides, the spacers fit snugly and are the same diameter as the hub.

I worked at a custom trailer shop where we used wheels of Iveco and Mercedes vans to get the lowest floor heights possible. We found out that we had to put 2 bushings over the studs to fill the space between bolt hole and stud, because the inner dual rocked between the brake drum and outer wheel, when the trailer braked. the outer wheel was held by the conical wheel nuts, but the hub centering wasnt enough to hold the inner wheel..
You can get into a lot of trouble with wheels, studs, etcetera.

Also, a guy that used to work at my company, way before i got there, had a Ford Granada with spacers, so he could use wide tires. More than once, he saw his rear wheel taking him over on the highway on-ramp because the entire axle shaft broke... :p
Same with a contractor around here, that has a tractor carrying a 3pt power harrow, air drill, packer combo. They used to have 18.4 duals under that tractor, but the offset weight caused the halfshafts to snap. They changed to 800mm wide rear tires to get the same footprint but with less offset. As long as they take bumps at walking pace, they are allright.
I would avoid wheel spacers at just about any cost. When talking 10 bucks per side, for me it would be a no-brainer... ;)

I decided to send back the spacers. Tried loading my tractor to see what would happen to the tire clearance. Drove around a bit and there was tire rubbing noise on and off, especially in turns.

So, change in plans. I ordered those fender skirts Skyco posted a link to above. I'll probably pop rivet them on as he suggested. I did look on line for skirts but the only ones I could find included the fender with it. Lesson learned - should have posted here fist before going the plywood route.

/ Wheel Spacers for Trailer?? Opinions? #17  
I decided to send back the spacers. Tried loading my tractor to see what would happen to the tire clearance. Drove around a bit and there was tire rubbing noise on and off, especially in turns.

So, change in plans. I ordered those fender skirts Skyco posted a link to above. I'll probably pop rivet them on as he suggested. I did look on line for skirts but the only ones I could find included the fender with it. Lesson learned - should have posted here fist before going the plywood route.

You made a very good decision. I would skip the pop rivets though, well maybe a few to hold it in place, but then have it welded up. Should not cost you much at all if you have it all prepared. I would worry about the rivets busting loose if you were hauling sand or mulch.

So did you end up going though all the trouble and money of changing out the 10 studs?

Just remember, if you are going to do it do it right.

Chris

So did you end up going though all the trouble and money of changing out the 10 studs?

No, I changed course before ordering/buying new studs so I avoided that extra expense. I may have the new skirts welded in - will see - I do have a guy that does welding for me, but he's not exactly down the block. As far as mulch, etc., I made up some 2' plywood sides that I line the trailer with using U-bolts around the vertical rail members except for the tailgate. Works pretty good as I can drive my BX up the ramp and scoop most of the material off the wood deck.

Question for you DP, or others. Having taken the rear wheels off and seeing brakes mounted to the axle with two green wires sticking out the back side, am I safe to assume I would just need to wire them up to a 7-way plug in place of my 4-way? The brake controller came with the truck, so I think I'm good on that end. Anyway to test these brakes before I spend the time/money to wire them up?

The guy I bought it from said he had some "stuff" for adding brakes but when I picked it up, the "stuff" was at his office. He was suppose to get it for me but never called me back, so I didn't even figure it had the actual brakes on the back axle. Kind of a nice surprise.

/ Wheel Spacers for Trailer?? Opinions? #19  
There is an electric brake controller for the electric brakes. Some are manual, and some electronic. You have to set them up for the load you are carrying.

/ Wheel Spacers for Trailer?? Opinions? #20  
To test those brakes just hook up 12 volts to them... It does not matter which wire is positive or negative and try to move the wheel while jacked up. If you want to add brakes you will need a 7 pin plug, and a break-away kit, about $35. Very easy to do.

Chris