Goose neck trailer on 3-point

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have read a number of threads about 3 point receiver hitches, but I always wanted the ability to move the gooseneck horse trailer around the yard or down the road a mile or two.

While searching the web, I found these:
Tarter Gate (tartergate.com) and Freedom Hitch (freedomhitch.com).

Not being able to weld - I am leaning toward either buying the Tarter Gate model, or better yet, having a local fabrication shop duplicate one of the several excellent examples that have been posted here, but adding the gooseneck capability.

After looking at these hitches and reading the information, the big thing I noticed was they are to be used for empty trailers only. While that is the only way I would use it, and have no problem with it - I began to wonder.

Is this a safe method to shuttle a gooseneck? My concern is for the side-to-side and push-pull forces exerted on the top link. While I dont think any trailer damage might occur, what about the tractor. It's not exactly a compact, but it is a Cat 1. I know there is enough lift capacity. The tractor is a Kubota L3650. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or recommendations are appreciated.

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #2  
This is nothing more than a gut reaction here. That having been said, I have to say my first reaction is not positive. First I wonder how much torque is put on that upright when starting, stopping or hitting a chuckhole. Second, I didn't see how much weight this thing is supposed to handle or if it's all based on tongue weight vis-a-vis the lifting capacity of your 3PH.

I'm sure people smarter than me about this kind of thing can give you better info. As I said, this was just my first reaction to the concept. Let us know what you decide. Good luck with whatever you choose. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #3  
L3650
The tartergate model looks good.
How heavy of a trailer are you going to move? Moving an over 30’ fifth wheel travel trailer may be too much to handle on rough ground. Even for a L3650.
Pulled this note off the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tartergate.com/3point/3pt-16blade-tillage.html>tartergate</A> site.

<font color=red>Notes:
· Movement of Empty Trailers Only </font color=red>

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #4  
It doesn't appear that the Freedom Hitch product will work with a gooseneck trailer. It doesn't look that it can get high enough. Plus it requires buying the tractor side Freedom Hitch piece.

The Tartergate product looks like it would work, but I'd be concerned about the 'tail wagging the dog' effect. The ball sits pretty high up in the air and it looks like you might be able to get into a situation much like pulling something by attaching it above the rear axle level. Any ground irregularity that would cause the gooseneck to move up and down would appear to be able to move the tractor? Although, at the speeds you'd be moving the trailer, perhaps that's not likely to happen.

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #5  
Save yourself the money. I just have one welded on my hay fork mover. I pull my roundbale trailer with it, move my horse and cattle trailers etc. As long as your front wheels dont come off the ground you are fine. I also have one for my skid loader bucket. Again I just welded it on too.

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #6  
I put my hitch on my boom pole so I could pick it up high. Using this I can park a trailer where it can't be easily stolen by just a truck. Careful that whatever you put it on it must be pretty high or you'll have to adjust the goosehitch down on the trailer everytime you use it.

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #7  
I welded a ball to the top of my LP quick hitch to move a 22' lowboy around. works good just go slow and very little added weight on the trailer

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #8  
Could you possibly build a dolly for the trailer. Similar to the dollies semi haulers use for 2nd and 3rd trailers. That way the dolly supports the trailer and it just hooks to the drawbar of the tractor.

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #9  
Cowboydoc has the idea. Everybody does it that way around here.

/ Goose neck trailer on 3-point #10  
How about welding up an inverted 'T' for your 3PH and welding your ball on at the top link end? You could even weld on a ball mount or receiver tube at the center bottom for moving coupler style trailers. That way you have something to move any trailer you want in one attachment. I'd use a convert-a-ball on the lower so you can use it on anything without any tools involved changing balls.