Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion #1  

ITHINKICAN

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota
Cargo with implements is approx 10,000 lbs - tow vehicle bumper pull F250...

New Big Tex trailers approx $3500 or more - 20' - 12,000 gvwr @ 83" wide
New Big Tex trailers approx $3900 or more - 20' - 14,000 gvwr @ 83" wide
Neighbor said would sell me his used Big Tex $3400 - 20' - 12,000 gvwr @ 102" wide
(Cosmetically - looks about average - looks 'used' aka weathered. Tires look ok)

- Will I appreciate the 102" width vs the 83" width
(It is the only reason I would buy this used one - for the width)

- Do I need to go 14,000 gvwr - or can I get away with 12k?
(Haven't found any used - 14,000 gvwr's)

- If used - anything in particular I need to look for?

Thank you for your assistance!

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion #2  
I have owned two Big Tex trailers, performance wise I had no issues. I was however not that impressed with the paint durability on either one and I also did not like the way the wiring for the lights was run.

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion #3  
You can not get away with a 12K trailer. I would pass on the used one unless you could get it for about 60% of the price of new. Thats how I always buy.

A 12K or 14K trailer is going to weigh 3,000# or so empty so there is just no way. Order what you want in the length, width, and GVWR and don't look back. Yes, its going to cost you a little more but do it right the first time and you will not have to redue it.

Chris

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion
Thank you for the feedback.

The used trailer is a 2006 - it had recent paint to cover the wear and tear and rust - it had many drips from spraying too close and too heavy.

I let my friend know I'd be interested in his used trailer - but we'd have to get the numbers down.

I emailed the local Big Tex dealer too - to see if they could match a Big Tex dealer from up North that advertises lower prices.

The only other major manufacturer is Texas Bragg - but they are expensive. I think the smaller dealers are no name places with their own stickers on them...

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion #5  
You can not get away with a 12K trailer.

Why not? A trailer with 12k worth of axles under it, that has a tare of 3k should be able to legally carry 10k, as 10-12% should be tongue weight,(factored into vehicle capacity, not trailer). Granted it will not leave a large margin of error in weight, but it is still quite possible, and legal in Texas.

Something you might consider looking into. Most 10ply 235/80r16 or 235/85r16 tires should give you a max load rating of 3042# each. That's the same tire on a 12k trailer or a 14k trailer. So if you happen to be one who get's hung up on the weight limitations, you might have to price upgraded tires( g rated) to fully utilize the capacity of 7k axles.

A 20' bumper pull with 2-6k axles and 235/80r16 tires rated at 3042# is a pretty well matched trailer.

I just placed a new trailer on order last week, and I will be selling my 2009 model that is in these pics. I am located about 45 minutes from you, and my asking price on my 20' 12k trailer is less than any that you posted above. If interested pm me.
IMAG0069.jpg

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion #6  
you might have to price upgraded tires( g rated) to fully utilize the capacity of 7k axles.

i thought big tex was one of the manufactures that gets "creative" with its GVWR and axles/tires. ie 14K GVWR would be based on a 2000lb tongue weight so the actual load carried by the trailer was 12K and in line with standard 3042 rated tires and 6K axles.

to the OP.... do you care about deck over vs between fenders? I thought 83" is "low boy" between fenders and 102" is deck over (higher CG), i know for some it matters.

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion #7  
SCHMISM,

You may be correct about Big-Tex and how they play their numbers. I did not consider that. seeing 12k and 14k, I just assumed that they are based off of axle capacity.

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion #8  
there was a post not to long ago about someone shopping new trailers and wondering how manufactures were putting "huge" GVWR on axles that were quite a bit short of it. The talk was that they were pushing some of that GVWR weight off to the tow vehicle.

It was a new one to me but makes sense if your wanting to play the numbers game.

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion
It's our first go around so we really aren't sure what we need to focus on. We are only guessing that either the 83" (between the fenders) or 102" (over the axle) should work. We intend to keep the tractor in storage and travel it back and forth to the ranch - while we have structures built. We believe once structures are built the tractor will be at the ranch 95% of the time. Earlier today we stumbled upon Gator - their trailers look real nice. Honestly we arent sure we'll get our money worth either way - so we are primarily shopping for a good deal.

/ Big Tex - New vs Used & Need opinion #10  
ITHINKKICAN, do you have to have a bumper pull? You aren't that far from Bryan. Drive on up to Gooseneck and take a look at some of their 'gooseneck' trailers and how they build 'em. You may be surprised that the money difference isn't really that great when you factor in the quality. They don't compete with their local dealers so look at the website and see who might be close but a trip up there might be worth it to you.