Trailer Tires

/ Trailer Tires #1  

budman72

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 mfwd
A friend of mine has had a couple of blowouts on her 8 horse trailer lately, we're trying to figure out why. One thing I noticed is that the tires on the trailer are heavy duty truck tires, 235x16 radials. Any experience with trailer tires? Should this type of trailer use tires specifically designed for trailers? I know that the boat I used to have had "trailer tires" on its trailers. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Bud

/ Trailer Tires #2  
A friend of mine just had a blowout Friday coming home from Chicago. He said the tread was fine but the tires were checked from age. The vehicle had been his mother's winter vehicle (she has a 5.0L Mustang convertible for the summers) and she didn't drive it much. It's possible you have good tread on your trailer tires but that they are old and failing for that reason. It might be worth checking out.

/ Trailer Tires #3  
A few thoughts... make sure the tires are not rubbing on the fender. In other words the sidewall of the tire is rubbing on the inner part of the fender. Also make sure the tires are inflated to the prpoper pressure. I think I have a booklet at work the explains the difference between regual tires and trailer tires. Mostly I think trailer tires are more rugged (not more plys) and have stiffer sidewall construction.

I know there are some trailering experts here that have more to share.

/ Trailer Tires #4  
Morning Bud,

There are some trailer tires out there. I've seen some from Goodyear on a bud's dump trailers. The only difference I could see between them and regular tires was the tread pattern, more straight inline with less grooving for water deflection.

Blowouts usually come from heat build up. Air pressure has a lot to do with that.

Age is probably the other biggest factor. I've heard blowouts are a real problem with RV's because they don't get many miles over the years and the rubber has a tendancy to dry up and then the tire fails.

So I'd guess your friend's problem has a lot to do with the age of the tires and her not maintaining the tire pressure in the range suggested by the manufacturer.

I don't see any advantage to having "trailer tires" except for the costs to the trailer manufacturer. But if you get a chance do a check of tire pressure and proper ply rating on your friend's trailer tires. There should be a plate on the frame near the tongue from the manufacturer that gives the GVW and date of manufacture. It will also have the suggested ply rating of the tires.

/ Trailer Tires #5  
I've heard that trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls and are less susceptible to UV damage. Supposedly the sidewalls have an additive in the rubber that protects it.

/ Trailer Tires #6  
The manual for the axle I bought states that the load capacity of non-trailer tires is 90% of tire rating. Maybe the tires are overloaded.

Ray

/ Trailer Tires #7  
Are the tires on the right rear. I am not sure if the trailer repair shop was blowing smoke, but after we had 2 blowouts on the right rear in about 2 months, when we had it serviced
we asked and was told that the reason was the trailer was not sitting level enough. We just bought a new 4x4, 2001 GMC which sits about 2 inches higher than the old pickup. Bought a 4 inch drop for the receiver and everything seems ok.

He said that the way the suspension axels are made it the trailer is not level enough all the weight is thrown on the right
rear tire. He said it was even more important for GN to sit level than bumper pulls.

Just a thought

Larry