Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #1  

ITHINKICAN

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota
Bumper pull 20' + 2' with dove tail equipment trailer with 2 @ 7k axles. We believe we are in the final stretch - we hope to order the trailer today. We have two final considerations.

Final questions:

Is there a pro vs con of the leg jack location? It appears some are at the very end of the trailer - nearest the coupler vs some are back from the coupler location and closer to where the trailer deck begins. If anyone could chime in - it would be much appreciated.

We are still deciding on pipe top vs open deck. A final candidate has 5" channel rails with a pipe top attached vs 8" channel rails with an open deck and rub rails. We will be hauling a tractor primarily - until we have structures - the tractor will go from the ranch to the storage facility. On occasion maybe some mulch or sand (of course we can use the F250 too). We are also considering the resale value - would one sell quicker or for more money.

We think we're going with the ramps attached - has anyone bought a ramp attached trailer and later learned it was a bad idea?

Anything else we're missing?

Any info - any info at all - would be helpful.

Thank you!

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #2  
my eq. trailer (in sig), has the jack right at the front of the deck. i never even though about it, until i went to load a 4-door, long bed, f350 dually on the other day, and i could not get the back tires of the truck up onto the deck b/c the trucks bumper was hitting the jack.:laughing: i can fit a reg cab fullsize without issues. something to consider; i am used to running stuff up on trailers till the front tires hit the front rail, but i cant do that w/mine.

my jack is a nice one, though. its in the center of the trailer, but the handle runs all the way to the left side, so i dont have to climb all over it.

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top
Interesting. And thank you!! So the further forward the leg jack then (potentially) the more storage length capacity. I never thought of that. I was thinking the position had to do with stability.

I should have mentioned - both trailers are 7' wide. I wasn't talking about an over the axle trailer. A good OA is out of our price range.

edit-
I forgot to ask - the trailer comes with ez lube axles - but it doesnt specify the brand. I doubt they are Dexter's. For a low mileage low usage trailer - does it still have to be Dexter?
:newhere:

Last edited:
   / Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #4  
I like the open trailer (no rail) Makes it easer to load palets from the side.
Some like the pipe because it gives more places to tie down to.
as far as the jack I like them up by the deck but some zilch brought up a good point (which i haven't come across yet) about a bumper hitting the jack. I have a GN so i'm limited to how far i could pull forward anyway.
Good luck on your trailer and congrats on the tractor

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #5  
How about the best of both worlds? I just bought a 20' PJ Trailer with removable pipe rails. So, if needed, any/all of the rails can be removed in about 10 minutes.

Like you, I don't expect to often need a car hauler type trailer, and I like having the rails there to tie of onto, but having the option is really nice. Of course, between each pipe rail socket is a stake pocket with allows converting the trailer to one with solid sides for hauling dirt, etc.

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #6  
Can't speak for the sides (mine is open with removable wooden sideboards built for it). As for the jack, I know when I bought my trailer the jack was the type that pivoted up out of the way and was mounted about halfway between the coupler and the front of the trailer deck. I thought this was dumb and that I would replace the coupler and add the jack that goes through a hole in the coupler plate. But the nice thing about the pivot-style jack is that I can open my truck tailgate with the the trailer attached and the tailgate doesn't hit the jack handle. With some coupler-mounted jacks you can't do that -- one "oops" and you end up with a dented tailgate!!

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #7  
"Is there a pro vs con of the leg jack location? It appears some are at the very end of the trailer - nearest the coupler vs some are back from the coupler location and closer to where the trailer deck begins. "

Three problems I see with having the jack forward rather than back. First, depending on how far forward it is, it could limit your ability to install a tongue mounted toolbox (having the spare tire mounted in there didn't help things). Second, if you ever want to use a weight distributing hitch, the crossmember that holds the jack may interfere with the brackets. Third, if it is too far forward, your tailgate may hit it when it is lowered. I had the first two issues with my trailer, mainly because the jack was almost in the middle of the tongue.

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 395
   / Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top
I like that setup on that PJ trailer. It is approx the same distance forward as the one I was talking about...

Photo 1; rub rail with stake pockets - attached ramps - forward leg jack

Photo 2; pipe tope - slide in ramps - jack near deck

Attachments

• front mount leg jack.jpg
    front mount leg jack.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 309
  • rear mounted leg jack.jpg
    rear mounted leg jack.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 311
   / Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #9  
Go with #1 but makes sure you get the rub rail the full length. It just makes chaining down so much eaiser.

/ Trailer - pros vs cons - leg jack and pipe top #10  
I'll never own another trailer with a forward jack. Too easy to drag the jack when you go into a steep parking lot, or through a ditch. The closer it is to the pivot point (the hitch) the more likely it is to drag. additionally, if the jack is up front, it is more trouble to drop the tailgate with the trailer hooked up.

10k spring loaded, drop leg jack for me from here on out...