10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #1  

Bikewanderer

Gold Member
I found a 10' bush hog on craigslist and am going tomorrow to pick it up. I don't know the model, but it's older and a dual spindle (pull type - not 3pt). He said the tires are too small to go 200 miles. I have a one ton dually with flatbed on it (8' wide by 9' deep) and a 20' equipment trailer.

The guy isn't being too helpful with dimensions and such. He said it would "probably" fit on the truck but I am worried it will still be an overwidth load. I don't remember these being very deep - they are obviously 10' wide.

I am thinking that it really should fit on the flatbed of the truck and I don't need the trailer but I'll be pretty upset with myself if I don't take the trailer and I can't get it on there.

Does anyone have any experience with these that can tell me with a little more certainty whether I need the trailer or not? My flatbed is shown below. It's the same only a long box and dually. The sides fold down to make it completely flat.

Attachments

• Bradford Shortbox.jpg
    Bradford Shortbox.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 473
   / 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #2  
I found a 10' bush hog on craigslist and am going tomorrow to pick it up. I don't know the model, but it's older and a dual spindle (pull type - not 3pt). He said the tires are too small to go 200 miles. I have a one ton dually with flatbed on it (8' wide by 9' deep) and a 20' equipment trailer.

The guy isn't being too helpful with dimensions and such. He said it would "probably" fit on the truck but I am worried it will still be an overwidth load. I don't remember these being very deep - they are obviously 10' wide.

I am thinking that it really should fit on the flatbed of the truck and I don't need the trailer but I'll be pretty upset with myself if I don't take the trailer and I can't get it on there.

Does anyone have any experience with these that can tell me with a little more certainty whether I need the trailer or not? My flatbed is shown below. It's the same only a long box and dually. The sides fold down to make it completely flat.

I'd take the trailer--it's bed is lower than the one on your truck so it'll probably be easier to muscle that mower onto the trailer. And it'll be easier to winch that mower onto the trailer than the truck bed. Or does the seller have a way to lift the mower onto the transport vehicle?

Good luck.

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip
I'd take the trailer--it's bed is lower than the one on your truck so it'll probably be easier to muscle that mower onto the trailer. And it'll be easier to winch that mower onto the trailer than the truck bed. Or does the seller have a way to lift the mower onto the transport vehicle?

Good luck.

The seller has a tractor with loader and said a neighbor has another if one can't do it. So I'm not worried about that. I am worried about fitting it on the trailer away from the fender wells. I can block it up higher than the fenders, but the area in front of the fender wells isn't much if any bigger than the area on the truck.

I think it weighs 2000-3000 lbs, so no manhandling at all here.

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #4  
Load it long ways and then remove the rear wheels or flip them up over the cutter to get the width down. Ken Sweet

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #5  
I was thinking the same thing as ken sweet. you should be able to condense the width that way. Be sure you bring some tools to take the stuff apart.

I was thinking the same thing as ken sweet. you should be able to condense the width that way. Be sure you bring some tools to take the stuff apart.

So do you guys thing it will fit on the truck bed?

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #7  
So do you guys thing it will fit on the truck bed?

It will overhang on the back about 1 1/2 ft. I would not boom down on my stump jumpers, if you use the truck, block up under the cutter deck at the back before you boom down. Ken Sweet

It will overhang on the back about 1 1/2 ft. I would not boom down on my stump jumpers, if you use the truck, block up under the cutter deck at the back before you boom down. Ken Sweet

Good - that's what I was thinking too. I am OK with it hanging off the back.

I'll bring good cribbage and good straps. I will be in the area again in a month and could bring a trailer then if I HAVE to. But I really think it will fit on the truck bed.

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #9  
+1 for the flatbed

I tend to think anything can fit on a flatbed, but Ken has an answer with a plan!

/ 10ft Bush Hog - 200 mile trip #10  
I would not want it on the truck bed. I would take the trailer no matter what and lots of cribbing to get it over the fenders. He!!, that is what you bought the trailer for, to haul crap.

For loading I would have both guys with FEL's pick it up with chains then back the trailer under it. I have done 1000 gallon propane tanks that way and many other big items and 2 tractors is the only way to go to prevent tearing up the cargo or trailer.

Chris