Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice.

/ Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice. #1  

Bama67

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 5520H
WARNING! Semi-long story below.

Well guys, I have always coveted the diesel owners, and a couple weeks ago I joined the ranks. I bought a 2007 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab 6.7 Cummins with 6 speed auto with factory Exhaust brake, all power with only 70,000 miles.

I have been wanting a diesel for sometime, as my tractor and trailer combo put me close to 10,000lbs towing and it seems like all the time I could borrow stuff from my inlaws, skid steer, cattle trailer, etc... but couldn't tow them.
I have been looking for a while, but couldn't find what I wanted for what i wanted to pay. But I found this Dodge online in North Miami FL ( 600 miles away from me) just listed for $18,500! I ran a carfax on it and it was clean, one owner truck from GA, no wrecks, major work, nothing, just a couple recalls. I figured it must be too good to be true. But the truck looked awesome, and the shady cuban salesman said it was in great condition. So I call the dealer and he said he is getting alot of interest on this truck. I put down a $500 refundable deposit to hold it for me, I buy a one-way plane ticket, and by 10:00am the next morning, I am in Miami at the dealership. The shady Cuban salesman and I walk out to the truck and as soon as i get within 5 feet I can tell the truck has been painted. Crappy tape off job, a little overspray in the doorjambs, painted over emblems on grille and tailgate, the emblems aren't in the right spot, and runs in clearcoat. I will admit it isn't that bad, but I am a real stickler for stuff like that. But why would the truck be re-painted anyway? And I was mainly pissed because Pedro hadn't told me. (that was his real name) But I can't find any signs of contact on the truck, or dents, etc, it is nice and straight. So I took it for a test spin and all the mechanicals were perfect, it drove nice with good power and all looks normal. I was really impressed with the truck except for the paint job and the cigarette burn laden interior. But for $18k for a truck with about a $30k book value I figure I can't go wrong. I bought it and drove it home on a 9 hour journey and it did great, returning 18mpg running 75mph down the interstate, not bad for bone stock with all the EGR and DPF emmisions crap. I have since had it almost two weeks and put another 500 miles on it and has been great, I changed the oil and had to get new tires for it, but that is all I have done. I put on Nitto Terra-grapplers in 305/70r17, E rated, a tire that is a little over 34'', 3'' taller than what was on it, but only knocked down my mileage by 1 mpg.

Cliff Notes:
-Find a sharp 2007 Ram 6.7 6 speed auto, loaded, 4x4 70k miles for $18,500w/ Clean Carfax report
-fly to Miami, find truck had questionable paint and history
-mechanicals seem perfect, everything works great
-buy truck and drive it 1100 uneventful miles so far

If it had been a gas burner I wouldn't be concered as I know how to work on them and the parts for this diesel truck are ungodly expensive. I guess time will tell, or I can sell it and probably make a little money on it.

Do ya'll think I did okay? Would you have bought it?

here is a pic in my driveway

P1050305v2.jpg

/ Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice. #2  
I like it! :thumbsup: Time will tell how good of a buy it is. It's tough to say what happened to the truck, could have been in a wreck, vandalized, etc. I always trust my gut instinct on these things, and if yours tells you its a good truck, you did well. Heck, if the paint bothers you that much, get it repainted, and you still come out ahead.

/ Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice. #3  
Looks like a good deal. I've been doing the same as you. Looking, searching for that same type of pickup. i got in my head to get a 2006 ram diesel. If/when i find one that i like, I'll be flying south to get it. Finding a few up in the northeast, but I'd rather get a southern truck.

Good Luck.

/ Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice. #4  
Looks like a great Truck and in the picture the paint looks great as well...Keep in mind something as minor as....someone keying this truck...suppose the former owner came out to get in his truck and found someone had keyed it all over and sprayed it with graffetti ..and then who knows it gets repoed or sold at aution to the dealer you bought it from. Heck, you drove it back over 1K miles and that would have been an eventful trip had there been anythin major wrong with it...I bet you just got a great deal..Nice going...

/ Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice.
I like it! :thumbsup: Time will tell how good of a buy it is. It's tough to say what happened to the truck, could have been in a wreck, vandalized, etc. I always trust my gut instinct on these things, and if yours tells you its a good truck, you did well. Heck, if the paint bothers you that much, get it repainted, and you still come out ahead.

Could have just been something small and they let their friend Bubba Ray spray it in his garage. I will tell you that having already mediocre paint makes me not sweat using the truck like a truck, because everytime I had to take my 05 King Ranch F-150 in the woods I wanted to cry. lol

Looks like a good deal. I've been doing the same as you. Looking, searching for that same type of pickup. i got in my head to get a 2006 ram diesel. If/when i find one that i like, I'll be flying south to get it. Finding a few up in the northeast, but I'd rather get a southern truck.
Good Luck.

Thanks, I had looked for quite a while, but to get a truck like a wanted (05-07 Diesel, crew cab, 4x4 for under 20k out the door) they all either had 150k or more miles or where trashed.
Cow, I recommend a fly and ride, it really was easy, I bought the ticket the day before for $150. If I would have known it would be so cheap and easy i would have also looked harder at trucks farther out West.

Looks like a great Truck and in the picture the paint looks great as well...Keep in mind something as minor as....someone keying this truck...suppose the former owner came out to get in his truck and found someone had keyed it all over and sprayed it with graffetti ..and then who knows it gets repoed or sold at aution to the dealer you bought it from. Heck, you drove it back over 1K miles and that would have been an eventful trip had there been anythin major wrong with it...I bet you just got a great deal..Nice going...

The paint looks great on the larger panel areas, it is the details that look bad. But keep in mind I am a perfectionist, my wife or buddies would have never known had I not told them. Oh, and my local painter (who does great work) and I have used before, quoted me a minimum of 2k on new paint. Mainly due to the huge truck requiring so much expensive red paint. I think I will just let it ride though.

Also I plan to replace the carpet myself, I can't stand looking at all the cig burns and the faint smell after sitting all day in the sun. I am also thinking of re-covering the factory seats in leather. Which is cheaper than I had figured, I can get some high quality Katskin seat covers for the whole truck for about $600. I love me some leather. The new carpet and leather seats would really do alot for this truck, because the rest of the interior is nice.
And if I keep it til 100k and the warranty expires, all the emmissions stuff is going bye-bye!

/ Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice. #6  
Could have just been something small and they let their friend Bubba Ray spray it in his garage. I will tell you that having already mediocre paint makes me not sweat using the truck like a truck, because everytime I had to take my 05 King Ranch F-150 in the woods I wanted to cry. lol

Thanks, I had looked for quite a while, but to get a truck like a wanted (05-07 Diesel, crew cab, 4x4 for under 20k out the door) they all either had 150k or more miles or where trashed.
Cow, I recommend a fly and ride, it really was easy, I bought the ticket the day before for $150. If I would have known it would be so cheap and easy i would have also looked harder at trucks farther out West.

The paint looks great on the larger panel areas, it is the details that look bad. But keep in mind I am a perfectionist, my wife or buddies would have never known had I not told them. Oh, and my local painter (who does great work) and I have used before, quoted me a minimum of 2k on new paint. Mainly due to the huge truck requiring so much expensive red paint. I think I will just let it ride though.

Also I plan to replace the carpet myself, I can't stand looking at all the cig burns and the faint smell after sitting all day in the sun. I am also thinking of re-covering the factory seats in leather. Which is cheaper than I had figured, I can get some high quality Katskin seat covers for the whole truck for about $600. I love me some leather. The new carpet and leather seats would really do alot for this truck, because the rest of the interior is nice.
And if I keep it til 100k and the warranty expires, all the emmissions stuff is going bye-bye!

I agree with you an leaving the paint as it is......On the carpet go to JC Whitney on the internet ..they have factory replacement carpets for your truck at real good prices. On the seats I suggest you get on the internet to salvage yards and also in your area locally and find a truck like yours with leather seats that has been totaled and buy the leather seats..I have done that and save a bunch...Just some thoughts..

I agree with you an leaving the paint as it is......On the carpet go to JC Whitney on the internet ..they have factory replacement carpets for your truck at real good prices. On the seats I suggest you get on the internet to salvage yards and also in your area locally and find a truck like yours with leather seats that has been totaled and buy the leather seats..I have done that and save a bunch...Just some thoughts..

I found a real good deal on the carpet, like $150 with the heavy mass backing, the shipping is a killer though.

I have been searching around for seats, nothing yet though. There aren't many salvage yards here. I get jealous when I go through a city with a HUUUGE pick-a-part yard. I'll keep looking though.

/ Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice. #8  
The fly and ride home I think, should be a good idea. I'm looking into cities in the south. These would be ones easy/cheap flights out of my region. i can fly into Atlanta for approx $150/200. Tampa or orlando $100.

The ones i found in Fla have lift kits and other such things that make me wary. And I'm definatly looking for under 75,000 miles on unit.

I've had the best of luck with autotrader web site. Can easliy specify what you need and areas of country. Any other good websites? CL is ok, but I'm not excited about using it, but I'm not very familiar with it.

Also, if it was me. I would hold off on the paint job. Don't expect any big problems to come up, but you never know.

/ Just bought my first diesel!!! Hope I made a good choice. #9  
Nice truck!! As others have said, there are a variety of resons it could have been repainted.

I'd find a detailer who can give it a an easy 2000 grit wet sanding and buff job. I used to do these all the time. If there's enought clear/color on it, you'd be surprised how nice they can clean up. Not perfect, but very nice. It sould only cost $200-$300 for a thorough job...Just make sure he know what he's doing. Burning though is a big risk :shocked:

The fly and ride home I think, should be a good idea. I'm looking into cities in the south. These would be ones easy/cheap flights out of my region. i can fly into Atlanta for approx $150/200. Tampa or orlando $100.

The ones i found in Fla have lift kits and other such things that make me wary. And I'm definatly looking for under 75,000 miles on unit.

I've had the best of luck with autotrader web site. Can easliy specify what you need and areas of country. Any other good websites? CL is ok, but I'm not excited about using it, but I'm not very familiar with it.

Also, if it was me. I would hold off on the paint job. Don't expect any big problems to come up, but you never know.

I found my truck on Autotrader. Just check it daily, as the good deals don't last long. I would see one come up, and think " I'll just call tomorrow' but when I do it is gone.
if you want to search Craigslist I would recommend a site like SearchTempest - The EASY way to search Craigslist or Search All Craig's - Ever wanted to search ALL craigslist sites at once?
It allows you to search all the areas in a mileage range you choose instead of going to various Craigslist cities. It is a nice website once you figure it out.

There are a ton of used trucks it the central/south Florida area as Orlando has the largest Auction in the USA.