OEM Longevity

/ OEM Longevity #1  

glc24

Platinum Member
Hey guys
Well,I just changed out my original water pump after 215,900 miles.:thumbsup:
My 1998 Chevy K1500 has treated me pretty darn good so far.
I've always heard that car makers,(maybe all manufacturers for that matter) will install the very best parts at the factory. It kind of makes sense,that they would want your parts to at least outlast the warranty,but after that,I guess it's more of a crap shoot.
I won't complain one bit,when this thing starts to nickel and dime me. Other than the usual stuff,tires,brake parts,fluids,everything is original!
I just need 'er to last maybe three more years,until we get the wifes Equinox paid off. I'm sure to be closing in on 300 by then.:)

Oh,one other thing. The older this 5.7L gets,my mpg average has actually increased. Strange but true. I've been at or slightly over 18mpg this entire year. Everything is nice and broke in now.:)

Greg

/ OEM Longevity #2  
You take care of them and they will last, no matter what brand. My girlfriend in HS/College father sells oil for a living. He has had 2 GM 1/2 tons, a Cherokee, 2 gas Ford 3/4 tons, a Mitsubishi SUV, and a few others I am forgetting since I have know him. All have lasted well over 250,000 miles. His last truck before this current one was a 04 GM 1/2 ton. It finally died when a cam failed. Other than that he has all running when traded.

He changes the oil every 5K, tranny fluid every 30K, and all other fluids at 100K. He fixes everything within a week if broken. He swears all the brands are good.

Yes, he puts water pumps, DV joints, tie rods, ect but never a serious failure other than that last truck. By the way it had 280,000 miles on it when the cam went bad. No complaints by him.

Chris

/ OEM Longevity #3  
Have a 2003 CE corolla bought in new in 2002, just had it inspected at a cost of $144.00. Have a 1989 SR5 corolla bought in Nov 1988, just had it inspected at a cost of $16.00 needed nothing. Have a 1994 heavy half ton Ford truck, not inspected for 7 years now... no way it would pass without spending thousands for repairs.

mark

/ OEM Longevity #4  
glc24, you're living under a bright star with your '98 K1500. My '97 C1500 has had just about every known problem in it's short 108K miles, from intake gaskets, a/c crap-out, failed lifters, steering malfunctions, and on and on and on.

I also have 2 friends with a '98 C1500 and a '98 GMC 1/2 ton. They seem to have exactly the same set of problems that as mine, either just before I have them, or shortly after. The only problem that I haven't had is the usual transmission failure, which is also a known problem. I suspect flushing the trans fluid every 50K miles is the main reason for no failure (yet) there. I'm probably **** in maintenance.

On the up side, I routinely get >20 mpg highway mileage, and the truck is comfortable to me. And it looks good; I love step-sides. I've thought about trading her off, but with me now driving less than 5K miles per year, the economics simply aren't there. So, I'll just continue expecting to spent ~$600/every 5K-10K miles on repairs until it gives up the ghost.

If mine lasts for 200K miles like yours, I'll still be a happy camper. But frequent repairs on the '95-'98 moldel 1/2 tons are more the routine than the exception. Be thankful that you got that 1:1,000,000 good 'un.

/ OEM Longevity #5  
Funny how two individuals can have totally different experiences with virtually the same piece of equipment.

I personally have been there done that. What some claim are the greatest thing in the world I can not keep running 1 year in. But yet on other things like my 2 6.0L Fords that the internet bashes I have worked like dogs and neither one has been to the shop except for a bad dash cluster in the first 3,000 miles on one.

Chris

/ OEM Longevity #6  
To the OP point about OEM parts. Yes, the OEMs hold to the certain specs and expect their suppliers to provide that level of quality. Now, for certain, the OEMs sometimes have a poor design, poor spec, bad engineering and so forth and sometimes their suppliers provide parts that later turn out to be not worthy.

Still, the OEMs level of spec, engineering and quality often times far exceed the after-market people producing parts, on the cheap. The after-market buyer is very price sensitive and the of after-market people willing to sell parts that are woefully sub-par is a fact of the business. Just is. There is a market for cheaper, less quality stuff. Most of the time, the after-market buyer gets what he pays for.

In some auto parts stores, they have "good", "better", "best" on most items, such as brake pads, ignition parts, and more. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

/ OEM Longevity #7  
You take care of them and they will last, no matter what brand. My girlfriend in HS/College father sells oil for a living. He has had 2 GM 1/2 tons, a Cherokee, 2 gas Ford 3/4 tons, a Mitsubishi SUV, and a few others I am forgetting since I have know him. All have lasted well over 250,000 miles. His last truck before this current one was a 04 GM 1/2 ton. It finally died when a cam failed. Other than that he has all running when traded.

He changes the oil every 5K, tranny fluid every 30K, and all other fluids at 100K. He fixes everything within a week if broken. He swears all the brands are good.

Yes, he puts water pumps, DV joints, tie rods, ect but never a serious failure other than that last truck. By the way it had 280,000 miles on it when the cam went bad. No complaints by him.

Chris

Fully agree...I take pretty good care of my stuff and usually give up at 200k, they're still running well, but I feel as though I'm on borrowed time at that point....I believe most modern trucks can easily do that. Sometimes they rot out before the motor or tranny goes or in some cases the drivetrain can lay an egg...All and all, most can last a very long time.

/ OEM Longevity #8  
I've always heard that car makers,(maybe all manufacturers for that matter) will install the very best parts at the factory.

I don't know about that...a mechanic friend of mine has to replace the ignition switch in a Chevy Belair like this one. Darn thing is only 53 years old, too! :D

/ OEM Longevity #9  
Sweet ride Mace. I had a '55 like that in high school, except it needed restoration. Long aggravating story as to why I don't have that car now.

/ OEM Longevity #10  
I don't know about that...a mechanic friend of mine has to replace the ignition switch in a Chevy Belair like this one. Darn thing is only 53 years old, too! :D

I also had a '55 convertible like the '57. Same color w/continental kit. At that time I was elated to get rid of that "rattle trap". What was I thinking!

But I can understand... with a ignition switch going out after only 53 years? Ha - junk. They were selling pure junk back then :)