Brake Bleeder Valve

/ Brake Bleeder Valve #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
:(:(I mangled the last one of the bleeder valves (tandem axle) while flushing the lines with clean DOT3. I can't get it to turn now, for sure. I tried every gripping device in my tool box. But every tool ( vise grips etc ) just slips around. My grip is weak anyway. So.....what now? I'm a determined DIY but confused and ashamed. (old geezer). :confused::ashamed:

/ Brake Bleeder Valve #2  
Is this on a trailer? If so a new wheel cylinder is usually around $45. I would first try removing it and placing it in a vise and go to work on it. with a drill bit and a easy out.

Chris

/ Brake Bleeder Valve #3  
I've struggled with the same issue more than once.

I've solved two ways.

First, I've hammered a small socket onto the nipple and removed that way (one of my brother's many brilliant ideas, I would never have thought of it on my own).

Second, using stripped bolt remover tools, like these:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952165000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

I have a complete set, I've purchased all the sizes they offer as these are super handy tools.

Good luck,
Joel

Last ditch resort, other than replacing the caliper or cyl. (which is not crazy money by the way) would be drilling, removing and then tapping in a new one. I'd replace before I did that.

Joel

/ Brake Bleeder Valve #4  
If you have access to an Oxy/acet torch use the smallest tip you have and carefully get it to glow then immediately quench with wd-40 or some other lube in a spray bomb......then use vise grips and just wiggle slightly.....if no luck repeat over and over till it loosens......the trick is don't heat up the wheel cyl just the bleeder(cool off with water if too hot)......the wiggle will allow the lube to soak in......Finish off new bleeder with neverseize...:thumbsup:

/ Brake Bleeder Valve
:eek::eek::eek::eek: Joel and Chris....When I retired from employment, I should have retired from everything. Joel sent me to my "other" tool box and , "Yes", I have a set of bolt extractors that will accept a open wrench or a socket wrench. There should be enough clearance to fit between the trailer frame and brake housing. If that doesn't work, I'll try the pound on socket idea. And lastly, I hope that bleeder valve seats into the back side of the wheel cylinder, which can be removed. Boy, fooling with that thing wore me out today.:(

/ Brake Bleeder Valve
Thanks, wdchyd.......I Don't have any welding equipment....and the way I've been working, I'd probably set the trailer on fire.:D

/ Brake Bleeder Valve
:)Thanks, again, JoelD. It took about one minute with that 3/8 bolt extractor to remove the bleeder valve. Now let's see what else I can bogger up today.:cool: