Batteries

/ Batteries #1  

Pops15

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 555 TLB, Caterpillar Motor Grader, Kubota L245, Ford LGT 125, FABTEK aerial platform
Last year or early this year there was a topic where guys talked about getting as much as 13-15 years out of their truck batteries. I've searched but can't find it. Anyone know what they were doing to get such long life out of their batteries?

/ Batteries #2  
Last year or early this year there was a topic where guys talked about getting as much as 13-15 years out of their truck batteries. I've searched but can't find it. Anyone know what they were doing to get such long life out of their batteries?

I have never done better than 5.

Chris

/ Batteries #4  
There is no one thing that extends battery life.

Never, never, never use tap water. Use only distilled water because it is mineral free.

Keep the battery fully charged or it will sulfate.

Invest in a modern battery charger; I like the Victory smart charger line.
Do not over or under charge the battery, a fully charged resting battery should read 12.6 v
Charging; normal voltage should be 14.0-14.4v, trickle about 13.6-13.8v.
I use Charge-it when I first put a battery into service; they take a licking and keep on ticking.

Charge-It Concentrated Battery Additive 32 oz. - SOLCH-77QHD

/ Batteries #5  
I try to use smart chargers on anything which doesn't get used at least weekly. Keeping the battery properly charged without overcharging goes a long way in preserving battery life.

/ Batteries
I know guys that have gotten 8 or 9 years from a 6 year battery by using maintainers, but was surprised when someone said they had gotten 13+ years from one. Seems one guy said he permanently mounted maintainers on his truck and tractor and plugged them in every night. One guy mentioned some other things he did to extend battery life but I don't remember what he said.

I only got 5 years out of the deep cycle battery on my dump trailer. I just bought an Optima (those things are expensive!) for it and want to get maximum life out of it. I'm going to order a Deltran tender for it. Also going to get one for my TLB.

Thanks for the link Transit.

/ Batteries #7  
I am really lucky where I live. Seems I have a company that does _______ around each corner. We have a battery factory that makes Exide batteries and we can buy blems for about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of Walmart. I just got 2 batteries for a dump truck for $35 each. Only blem was a scratch on the label.

Never paid over $65 for any battery there. Still carry a full warranty.

Funny thing is my boss changes his battery in each of his vehicles every 3 years no matter what. I asked him why and he said he is 67 years old and has learned he is on borrowed time after 3 years. Last thing he wants is his wife, kids, or himself stranded. I guess its the pilot in him doing this type of preventative maintenance.

Chris

/ Batteries #8  
Interstate Batteries are the only batteries I will use when I need to replace a battery. I had two different used vehicles that had Interstate Batteries that were over 10 years old before they were replaced. For some reason or another they just seem to last much longer than other brands. It seems the factory batteries usually last me about 5 to 6 years if I keep a vehicle that long. Then I replace with an Interstate and it seems like I end up selling it. I just figured that I'd add a little bit of my own experience.

/ Batteries #9  
I buy about 10 batteries per year, mainly marine batteries for boats. I have had the best luck with the Exide and Deka batteries.

Chris

/ Batteries #10  
I look at batteries from the perspective of $/year rather than maximum life.

I have had good luck with the house brand from Schuck's/Kragen/O'Reilly (all owned by the same company). The warranty is honored at all the stores under any of the names and it is tracked by your phone number in their computer, so it doesn't get lost.

I have had early failures, but they always honored the warranty, so the $/year cost is pretty good. Unlike most battery dealers, the selling price is the same price they use in warranty adjustments. Many dealers sell at a low price, but have a much higher list price which they use for warranty adjustments, which works greatly to your disadvantage as a customer.