Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle

/ Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle #1  

RedRock

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 Gear
This is the first time I've had to use my new trailer with any significant weight on it. All my numbers check out, 3500lb single axle, 900lb trailer, truck towing cap is 5,100lbs. The load is a tote container of 330 gallons of good ole H20 weighing in at 2,753lbs.

My truck's OM says I should have 9 to 11% of the total trailer weight not to exceed 350lbs on the hitch , so I'm shooting for around 10% tongue load.

Here's the tough part, I'm not sure how you determine the position over the axle that gives me this 10%. I have to get it right to begin with because once I fill this puppy up, I really don't want to drain it to make it light enough to start over. Any help from you old pros is greatly appreciated.

Take a look at the pics and let me know if I'm close where I'm at or if I need to be looking for a tongue scale that can measure up to a 1/4 ton?

Attachments

• cube 001.jpg
    cube 001.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 826
  • cube 003.jpg
    cube 003.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 450
   / Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle #2  
You can move the tote slightly once loaded with a come along. Its easier than you think. I have moved a 6,000# rock on my wood trailer very easily.

What I would do is place the tongue on a piece of 4x4 supported one end with your bathroom scale and a scrap of wood the same thickness on the other. The use of the pipe like in the pic is not that crucial. I have done it both ways and the error is negligible. Fill the tote with water and you should read 1/3 the weight on the scale. In your case somewhere around 120#

I think you need to come forward 6" or so. To little tongue weight is 100 times more dangerous than too much.

Like this.

Tongue Weight

Chris

/ Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle #3  
This is the first time I've had to use my new trailer with any significant weight on it. All my numbers check out, 3500lb single axle, 900lb trailer, truck towing cap is 5,100lbs. The load is a tote container of 330 gallons of good ole H20 weighing in at 2,753lbs.

My truck's OM says I should have 9 to 11% of the total trailer weight not to exceed 350lbs on the hitch , so I'm shooting for around 10% tongue load.

Here's the tough part, I'm not sure how you determine the position over the axle that gives me this 10%. I have to get it right to begin with because once I fill this puppy up, I really don't want to drain it to make it light enough to start over. Any help from you old pros is greatly appreciated.

Take a look at the pics and let me know if I'm close where I'm at or if I need to be looking for a tongue scale that can measure up to a 1/4 ton?

You look fine in the pic. When you crank the trailer down onto the hitch make sure that you get an inch or so of sag.

/ Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle #4  
One other thing is strap it down good. I would go though the bottom of the tote where you pick it up with a fork lift and also from each of the top 4 corners with some lighter straps to keep it from tipping.

Chris

/ Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle #6  
Here are directions to use a standard bathroom scale to measure tongue weight: Tongue Weight Scale

Take that, measure empty, fill the container 1/4 of the way with water and use your straps on the trailer uprights to pull the container forward or backward as needed.

Edit: Whoops, looks like Chris replied with the same idea between when I loaded this thread and when I replied

Aaron Z

/ Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle #7  
I think you need to come forward 6" or so. To little tongue weight is 100 times more dangerous than too much.

Chris

Chris is right. Move it forward a smidge. I have a very similar trailer and cheating toward tongue weight versus the wig wags caused by having it just bit too far back is an easy choice. Go for the tongue weight. Wig wag is not fun.

/ Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle #8  
You look fine in the pic. When you crank the trailer down onto the hitch make sure that you get an inch or so of sag.

Ditto that. The center of your load is favoring just forward of the axle. Looks good.

/ Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle
Interesting setup in the drawings for the bathroom scale.... those "pipes" look tiny. I have a couple of pieces of 1 1/4 " pipe to use but getting them level and balanced makes me think of one of those circus acts I saw as a kid, I may have to find smaller diameter pipe for the scale test.

/ Trailer Weight Distribution - Single axle
Here's a shot of the bathroom scale in action, the brick under the board is not touching. I almost spent another $20 on an analog bathroom scale but this digital worked out OK in the end. I ended up stopping at 300 gallons times 8.3 = 2,490lbs. , the scale showed 104lbs. , multiplied by 3 = 312 lbs. tongue weight. (well under my 350 limit)

I moved the load forward about 6" as recommended and have it all strapped in for a snug ride.

Now the main reason I bought this tank was to water in the crusher base I spread for my metal building to be built. We've had quite a drought in certain spots of far North Texas, so I wanted to harden it before the building went up. All summer long its rained within 20mi. around but not a drop for us. Well, I wasn't 2 sentences into this post when down comes the rain, gotta be at least an inch at this point. For those of you in Nortex and S. Ok. needing rain, your welcome :D

Attachments

• cube2 001.jpg
    cube2 001.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 402
  • cube2 002.jpg
    cube2 002.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 354