Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead?

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead? #1  

1greenmachine1

Tractor
JD 2305
I have a Hillsboro's 14' Dump Trailer and can only get 4-6 dumps before my battery is dead. The dealer that sold me the trailer wired the plug on the truck/ to allow the dump trailer battery to charge when truck is running, but I believe the wire is to small to do any charging.

I've sometimes will dump a load every 10-15 minutes. I keep 2 batteries charged up and have to change out the batteries. this gives me 10-12 dumps before both batteries are discharged.

Is there any way that a person can continuely dump without changing out batteries?

It really stinks when the battery dies when the trailer is in the up position. I have to then jump the dump trailer battery to get the dump bed back down.

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead? #2  
Your concerned about a too small a wire from you vehicle to charge the battery. Well a battery charger has small wires and you alternator on the truck has small wires. Don't confuse these with the ones to run a starter or pump motor, which must be #6 or #4 wire which is like the sizes of most booster cable.
If you wire up both batteries in parallel in other words positive to positive and then to the pump motor and negative to negative and this one to the negative side of the pump motor, you still have just 12 volts but more amps because of the 2 batteries.
Or get a Battery Isolator like most trailer people do and have the truck charge one or both batteries all the time. Then perhaps the system will replenish quick enough to get the job done.
Deep cycle batteries are a must for that type of work.

Here is a diagram of one.
texas4x4.org - chevy 94, spicer axles, 96 gmc sierra, electronic spark control, lifted h1 | Picsicio

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead? #3  
Lot of possibilities and variables here to deal with. Do you know the power requirement to operate the trailer? What is the rated capacity of the battery(s) being used? Has the battery been checked/tested to insure they are operating at full capacity? Are they in fact fully charged when you begin to use them? It is very likely the wiring from the truck is too small to charge the battery quickly. What is the time period between dumps? Is there adequate time between uses to do any significant amount of charging? Have you measured the current flow to the battery while charging? I'd not be surprised to see charging current in the ~10A range and if there were say 30 min between uses then you've only replaced ~5 AH back into the battery which is not much.

As the previous poster said, you need to make sure you are using deep cycle batteries of adequate size. You also may need to change out the charging wire on the truck so you can charge the battery quicker. This is an issue numerous RV'ers have to do to keep their RV battery charged while camping.

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead? #4  
Its just the nature of the beast. The pumps require lots of power and dump trailers are designed to be used by weekend warriors and such requiring only a few cycles a week. You are using it like a dump truck running continuous duty dumping that many times. You really need a dump truck, not a dump trailer.

Chris

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead? #5  
Only workaround I can think of is mount more then 2 batteries right on the trailer all in parallel like other poster said.

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead?
1) I'm currently using Deep Cycle Batteries. (Interstate Marine and a Optima Blue Batteries)

2) I normally load and dump loads on our property. Moving dirt, brush, etc.. on our property. It takes me 15-30 to load/dump.

3) I was thinking along the lines of (Mickey_Fx) suggestion. Change out the charging wire on the truck so I charge the battery quicker.

4) Would Mounting 2 batteries on the trailer just double my dumping? Any advantage over swapping batteries out?

Thanks

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead? #7  
you could also setup a temporary charging station local to the trailer with a small Honda i1000 type generator onboard.

while such a small generator cant supply all the current needed to run the pump directly, you should have 10-15 min (or more ) between dump cycles that the generator can run and recharge the battery.

on the upside you can also use the small portable generator for other uses around the property.

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead? #8  
you could also setup a temporary charging station local to the trailer with a small Honda i1000 type generator onboard.

while such a small generator cant supply all the current needed to run the pump directly, you should have 10-15 min (or more ) between dump cycles that the generator can run and recharge the battery.

on the upside you can also use the small portable generator for other uses around the property.

I was thinking along these lines too. Using an alternator to try to charge a dead battery can really screw things up, and trying to charge a battery at idle is likely more of the problem than anything else. The OP says he uses it at his property, which means idling only. He can't pull too much current off the vehicle anyway without some way of raising the idle. If he increases the sire size he runs a risk of damaging the alternator or discharging the vehicle battery.

I would consider using a small gas engine to run an alternator at 7000 RPM or so while using the dump trailer. That would recharge the battery.

If you could double up the batteries and use a battery charger to recharge that would be fine as well, but Id be hesitant to try to use the vehicle to recharge under these circumstances.

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead? #9  
What size alternator is in your truck? Many are in the 80-100 amp range which could be enough to keep the battery charged IF you run heavy enough cables back.

Option 1:
If you have a heavy (100amp) alternator, you could run back a pair of heavy (4 gauge or less) cables with a properly sized fuse (or breaker) to a plug like an Anderson SB connector and use a matching connector to connect to and charge the battery on the trailer.
I would disconnect the lights for your trailer if you do this as if there is a problem with the heavy ground, the system will try to ground itself through the trailer light ground.

Options 2 and 3:
Another option would be to get a 5ish HP engine out of a pushmower or snowblower for cheap on Craigslist, mount it on the tongue and mate its engine to either:
A. A pump from something else (like this one from a dump body)
B. A high output alternator

Aaron Z

/ Dump Trailer - How many dumps before battery is dead?
1) The Alternator size on my truck states [/I]Maximum Alternator Capacity (amps): 160[/I] I assume this would not be enough to keep the battery charged even I ran heavy enough cables back to trailer.

2) Could a D/C generator be wired to the hydraulic pump?