Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: Towing a small square baler

Quote Originally Posted by gekog View Post
    Thanks all for your thoughts and advise. Does anyone know the outside wheel dimensions of the 320 baler. Will the wheels fit on a 8' or 8'6" trailer?

gekog
    8' absolutely not.
    8' 6" not by more than 1/2 a tire on each side.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor
    fords

i just hauled a 320 about two months ago it will hang over hang over a good 8inches and have to have the other will just barely all the way on the trailer when on a 104 in deck and u will have to have something at both ends that will pick the baler up and set it on the tralier and block up the frame so the pickup reel will not get bent up and i would not tow it 500 miles u will most likely run a wheel off

Veteran Member

Brought home a New Holland this spring. Put new tires on it along with the Harbor Freight magnetic tail lights. Greased bearings before leaving. Pulled fine behind 1 ton Ford. Had a gooseneck trailer but no way to crib up or load on trailer. The lights bounced off but the rest made the 130 mile trip okay. The 500 miles seems to far- the 50 MPH seems to fast. Good Luck!

Tractor
    1991 Case IH 535

Thanks all. Boy, lots of opinions. I see cars and trucks towing little utility trailers, tent trailers, and small row boat or skiff trailers all the time. None have suspension, and many have smaller tires than the baler. These units are on highways al the time. Why is that?

Also, our highways are not great, but they are certainly smoother and straighter than our back roads. Wouldn't this be easier on the baler itself?

gekog

Quote Originally Posted by gekog View Post
    Thanks all. Boy, lots of opinions. I see cars and trucks towing little utility trailers, tent trailers, and small row boat or skiff trailers all the time. None have suspension, and many have smaller tires than the baler. These units are on highways al the time. Why is that?

Also, our highways are not great, but they are certainly smoother and straighter than our back roads. Wouldn't this be easier on the baler itself?

gekog
    Yes, and probably wider.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

As about 97.23% of the stuff that gets posted on this site it gets over thought and beat to death. If you want to pull it then pull it. If it were me I would take a trailer. Experience has told me with the 10,000 miles or so per year I have a trailer behind my trucks that its just not wise to tow something like this that many miles. I would much rather take my trailer that I know the condition of and load it up. Even if I had to pay a guy on each end to load and unload the implement sideways on the trailer I do not like surprises.

Chris

Too bad it wasn't one of these...you could just drive it back!

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I will add my opinion to the rest since all the posters are just that. First do what you feel is acceptable and take adequate precautions. First, the baler is basically a two wheeled trailer with a hay baler on top. It is designed to carry that load over rough terrain with normal tapered trailer bearing. IF they are properly greased, tightened and not worn out and the tires are new, I would not hesitate to pull it 500 miles but I would not exceed 50 mph and 45 would be better since it has no brakes and if you are using a half ton pick-up, more than half the weight of your truck is following behind you. I dont think you would have any problems with tires or bearing if they are in good shape when you leave. To be on the really safe side, you could put in new grease seals and new bearing and new tires before you started your trip and then just take it slow and easy on the way back home. A good shock absorbing bumper hitch would be a good investment if you can still find one. Also the baler is going to have a clevis type hitch on it, so you will have to have a good safety pin to hitch it up and if you have a ball hitch on your tow vehicle, make sure you have something with you to remove it.

The Op's baler is supposed to weigh 3850 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Canute View Post
    The Op's baler is supposed to weigh 3850 pounds.
    And? ..............
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast