Towing a small square baler

/ Towing a small square baler #1  

gekog

Tractor
1991 Case IH 535
Hi all. I have searched the threads and I haven't found any answers to my specific question. I did learn quite a bit though.

I am looking at buying a used baler. New Holland 320. I know that normal baler tires are not meant for towing on the highway at higher speeds - especially for longer distances. I am wondering if I would be ok if I bought two new high speed rated radial tires for it? The 320 is only 1500.00 so I could see an investment in a couple of tires as being ok. I could likely sell them once I get home.

Thoughts Please!!!

Also, does anyone know the width from the outside of one tire to the outside of the other on these balers? If I could fit it on a trailer, I would rather go that way.

Thanks
gekog:confused:

/ Towing a small square baler #2  
Why not just take a trailer and winch it up on it. Then there are no worries. My concern would be the bearings and how it trails more than the tires. I really think it would not be wise to tow it long distances at any speed due to the way it may wig and wag.

Chris

/ Towing a small square baler #3  
Hi all. I have searched the threads and I haven't found any answers to my specific question. I did learn quite a bit though.

I am looking at buying a used baler. New Holland 320. I know that normal baler tires are not meant for towing on the highway at higher speeds - especially for longer distances. I am wondering if I would be ok if I bought two new high speed rated radial tires for it? The 320 is only 1500.00 so I could see an investment in a couple of tires as being ok. I could likely sell them once I get home.

Thoughts Please!!!

Also, does anyone know the width from the outside of one tire to the outside of the other on these balers? If I could fit it on a trailer, I would rather go that way.

Thanks
gekog:confused:

How old are the tire on it and how far do you plan to tow it?

If the tires on the baler are in decent shape there is no reason you can't tow it as is.

/ Towing a small square baler #4  
How old are the tire on it and how far do you plan to tow it?

If the tires on the baler are in decent shape there is no reason you can't tow it as is.

That baler has tapered roller bearings in the hubs just like the trailer some would have you load it on. Decent implement tires won't fail at reasonable implement towing speeds. There's no reason not to drop a pin in it and tow it, unless you need to travel on interstate highways.

/ Towing a small square baler
I would be towing it on highways at 50-60mph for about 500 miles. That's why I wondered about the tires and whether or not they could take tose speeds or whether I could do those speeds if I bought new radial tires.

It sounds like the tires that come with these balers would be fine if the bearings are lubed and the tire pressure is set correctly.

I just towed a New Holland bale wagon on the same route and the whole trip was perfect. I was averaging 55-60mph all the way.

/ Towing a small square baler #6  
Considering the age of the 320 hayliner, if you decide to tow it, putting new tires on it would be a very good decision. The tires might be original equipment and regardless of how good they look on the outside, it's pretty well impossible to check how good the internal structure is...might be good, might be rotten and might be anything in between. (A friend bought a 268 hayliner a couple of years ago and it did have the original tires on it. I towed it home behind my truck for him and made it ok, but I went slow, around 35 mph max and only 25 miles.) Heat generated by the flexing of (mainly) the tire sidewall causes a lot of tire damage so don't be scared to run maximum air pressure. Also, it might not hurt to do a good inspection of the wheel bearings, maybe even a repacking of them. Not that hard to do and it could save you tons of grief. As far as the width from the outside of one tire to the outside of the other, I couldn't find the exact measurement but I did find some specifications in a pdf at http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/eng3050/$FILE/136.pdf Good luck!

/ Towing a small square baler #7  
If you do wind up towing it that far, I would have to check the bearings and pack them with grease before towing. Always good to know they are in good shape BEFORE you hit the road, rather than after you leave out.

/ Towing a small square baler #8  
500 miles at 50+mph seems a bit excessive for a low speed farm implement. i towed a windrower 120 miles once at no more than 40mph, and it was fine, but i wouldnt go 50+mph for any length of time, much less 500 miles

/ Towing a small square baler #9  
500 miles at 50+mph seems a bit excessive for a low speed farm implement. i towed a windrower 120 miles once at no more than 40mph, and it was fine, but i wouldnt go 50+mph for any length of time, much less 500 miles

I agree. Just seems safer and easier to just take a trailer and load it up. You can then go over everything including the bearings and tires this winter once you get home.

Chris

/ Towing a small square baler #10  

Really what is the difference though? If it made it the first 120 it would make it the rest of the way.