Rotten Trailer Boards

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #1  

OkieG

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 855 (24hp/19@PTO)
My open bed trailer has to sit outside year 'round and has developed rot and spongy spots in several boards. The trailer is in otherwise good shape. I use it to haul my tractor around, but it probably is not safe to do so until I replace the boards.

Any ideas on what to use that will have a long life??

I see boards used in repair work on "This Old House", for example, that are some sort of plastic composite. They seem sturdy, but would they hold up to the weight of a tractor?

Are pressure treated 2x8s a good way to go?

The trailer is 16' long.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

OkieG

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #2  
My brother purchased a small trailer many years ago, one of those small ones that you put together. Now the metal is bent up but the pressure treated wood is still good.

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #3  
Enclosed semi trailers use a material known as "apitong" (sp?) flooring. I'm guessing that might be a trade name for Appalachian Oak. If you're worried about hauling heavy, that might be something to consider.

You might want to look into buying some steel diamond tread plate material and welding it on your frame. I don't think it's terribly expensive. Use that and, Viola', you have a steel trailer. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I hope this helps.

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #4  
i would just use good pressure treated wood. should take quite a while for that to rot out. Garys idea about the steel diamond plate is good, don't know how much extra weight that will add to the total package or if it matters.

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #5  
<font color=red>I see boards used in repair work on "This Old House", for example, that are some sort of plastic somposite. They seem sturdy, but would they hold up to the weight of a tractor?</font color=red>

Nope will not work. These boards have a lot of flex in them. They will bend under the tractor.

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #6  
Pressure treated boards seems the best way to go..not unless there a locate mill around you that offers Elm boards,for Elm board 2" thick one tough board once become dry..and than oil the boards down in good shape.

Gary's idea is indeed a good one,but be careful if the deck should become wet or snow upon..could become slippy,and if your trailer bed tilted plus your tires muddy etc..traction could hamper your loading..I guess you could always add cleats to the metal bedding for tractions.

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #7  
I'd have a tendency to first go for the steel diamond plate or else 2x6 treated boards.
With the steel deck you could weld all kinds of retainers to keep equipment from moving.
It all depends on economics and your abilities/equipment if you do it yourself.

Egon

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #8  
Rough sawn white oak makes a fine floor.
Barrels are made out of this for brewing some
of the fine adult drinks.
Natural water resistant.

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #9  
Why not just convert to a steel floor and forget having to replace the floor every some-odd number of years?

Steel sheeting is cheaper than you might think (especially since it is a "one time deal") and offers other benefits as well (e.g. weld in tie down pockets wherever you want/however many you want, doesn't gouge/splinter, etc.)

/ Rotten Trailer Boards #10  
My friend had the exact same problem. He sold the trailer and bought a new one for far less differance than repairing the rotten boards - go figure...