Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #41  
pipe thread has to be sealed with either tape or dope

What?

pipe thread seals by thread deformation.

soundguy

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV
OK... help me out once again..

Since the inside nut is welded in the oil pan I want to replace the outside bolt (that has a nPT fitting inside it) with a regular drain plug..

From a website i found these specs: * Drain Plug, 1/2 in.-20 Outside Threads, 1/8 in. NPT Plug, Kit

I think I need a 1/2" -20 oil drain plug - Is that a standard size that I could find easily?

Should i use a copper or some other material crush washer?

thanks

brian

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #44  
OK... help me out once again..

Since the inside nut is welded in the oil pan I want to replace the outside bolt (that has a nPT fitting inside it) with a regular drain plug..

From a website i found these specs: * Drain Plug, 1/2 in.-20 Outside Threads, 1/8 in. NPT Plug, Kit

I think I need a 1/2" -20 oil drain plug - Is that a standard size that I could find easily?

Should i use a copper or some other material crush washer?

thanks

brian

Yes Brian 1/2" 20 is fine thread and is standard drain plug size so it should work fine I use plain old plastic gaskets. good luck

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #45  
Yeah right keep on believing that lmao.

no laughing. i restore old tractors.. just about everything on them is taper threads.

when i see a taper plug leaking it loose or has been overtightened and is worn. replacement of the plug has always yeilded a sealed fit. since many old tractors use these fittings on fuel and hyd applications, i am loath to use thread tape or goop that can migrate to tine orifices and valves and cause them to plug or stick.

soundguy

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #46  
Well then by all means do what works for you and forget about me there is no argument on my part.

I doubt you will get a natural or propane gas line or water line to seal for long or at all w/o sealant or tape but that's beside the point.

I dope and tape every pipe thread connection that's why I said what I said to the OP we do agree on the mitigating compounds etc.

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #49  
I would also highly doubt a building code inspector would pass any work that was connected w/o sealant of some type and more likely the correct type for the application.

/ Oil pan - Use gasket or Hi Temp Red RTV #50  
I would also highly doubt a building code inspector would pass any work that was connected w/o sealant of some type and more likely the correct type for the application.

fortunately there are no building code inspectors that I know of for antique tractors or cars :)

as for sealing propane and similar lines.. those should be fack seals brass to brass and no other sealants. threads for those connectsions do no sealing. same with pipe female swivels.. it's a seal like a JIC fitting or compression or flair / inverted flair.. no sealant needed... wouldn't do ANY good at all if you added it either... seal does not happen in the threads on those style fittings.

i'm quite aware of nptf fittings .. good design...

soundguy