Bilstein shocks

/ Bilstein shocks #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
I need to replace the shocks on my motorhome. Everyone keeps telling me to put Bilstein shocks on it. They are 2-3 times the price of Monroe. Are they worth it.
Bill

/ Bilstein shocks #2  
I need to replace the shocks on my motorhome. Everyone keeps telling me to put Bilstein shocks on it. They are 2-3 times the price of Monroe. Are they worth it.
Bill

Can't see why. I had those on an 1980 Olds Delta 88 Coupe which was probably as big as your MH:D That boat handled very well with Bilsteins's. When I put parts store gas shocks on it when the Bilstein's went, the difference wasn't worth the extra cost.

Motorhome might be different..Did anyone give you a compelling reason as to why?

/ Bilstein shocks #3  
Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty you should have returned them.

Warranty

GENERAL WARRANTY DETAILS

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America warrants its gas pressure shock absorbers against defects in workmanship and materials for as long as you, the original purchaser, own your car.
If a shock/strut malfunctions and Bilstein determines it to be defective, we will either replace it or repair it depending on the term of the warranty based on the assembly's model type.

WARRANTY DETAILS FOR TC (B4) / C / HD (B6) / Sport (B8) / BTS (B12) / PSS (B14) / PSS9 & PSS10 (B16) GAS PRESSURE SHOCKS

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Bilstein warrants to the original retail purchaser that, for the life of each Gas Pressure Shock, this product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship. Proof of purchase is required process warranty. Please return product to the original place of purchase.

/ Bilstein shocks
The motorhome weighs 16000+ a little more than your Olds. I was told the Bilsteins were specially designed for motorhomes and the Monroes are just a truck shock. It is a Ford 550 chassis.
Bill

/ Bilstein shocks #5  
I put Bilsteins on my F-350 that pulls a 35 foot 5th wheel. They did an amazing job of course I had worn out stock shock absorbers on it previously. I was thinking about air bags but with the Blisteins I did not need air bags.

/ Bilstein shocks #6  
The motorhome weighs 16000+ a little more than your Olds. I was told the Bilsteins were specially designed for motorhomes and the Monroes are just a truck shock. It is a Ford 550 chassis.
Bill

I was kiding, of course. My only guess would be that they are a much heavier shock for the weight. I'd guess that they aren't the only game in town for something in that weight class. I'd check with some heavy truck repair shops. They're generally not going to overpay for parts unless they have to.

A true lifetime warrenty for something like that is going to cost.

To be honest, I know quite a few people with motor homes and they use whatever they can get for shocks and such. Never heard anyone saying that they had to have this specific type. Might have to replace the cheap ones every 6 years instead of 10, who knows.

/ Bilstein shocks #7  
Bill
I put a set(4) bilstien shocks on my 2004 dodge cummins diesel truck.IMHO they are worth every penny.Night and day difference verses factory stock shocks.coobie

/ Bilstein shocks #8  
Monroe is crap nowdays. On a motorhome the better control you get from Bilsteins might make the difference in keeping the rig rightside up if something hairy happens.

/ Bilstein shocks #9  
I have tried a lot of different shocks over the years. The bilsteins I have on my F250 now are the best I have ever seen.

They are expensive because they are simply the best.