Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #1  

dgl24087

Veteran Member
Tractor
1975 John Deere 1530
Time has come to replace the OEM tires on my 07 Dodge Ram 1500. The truck currently has Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's, which leave a lot to be desired for wet and snow traction. I've narrowed my decision to Cooper Discoverer ATR or Yokohama Geolander AT-S. I like the Yokohama tread pattern a little more than the Cooper, but not significantly. My decision seems to be coming down to this: Cooper Tire is a US owned company with tires manufactured in the US. However, the Yokohama Geolander is manufactured locally at the Yokohama facility in Salem, VA. So, should I support my neighbors and friends by buying Yokohama, or US manufacturing by buying Cooper. Load range, traction, treadwear and mileage ratings of the 2 tires are the same.

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #2  
You can not go wrong with either. For that matter there are about 15 other tires from other manufactures that are just as good. Seems like you have your mind made up between the two so go with your gut. In my case it usually comes down to price and who has them in stock along with the dealer selling them.

Chris

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #3  
My GMC 4X4 had Cooper Discoverer tires when I bought the truck. I kept the Coopers until they had to be replaced and was satisfied with the service. I still have one for a spare. However, when I bought new tires, I went with Maxxis Buckshot Mudders. IMHO they are hard to beat in the mud (and the price is also hard to beat) I don't know about snow and ice. They do sing, but not as bad as, say, military tread. They come in both 6 ply and 8 ply rating.

Whatever tire you get be sure to specify high pressure valve stems. Personally I didn't know there were different types of valve stems until I had valve stem failure on two of my Buckshot Mudders.

By the way, I have Yokohama tires on my Buick. I bought them from the same tire dealer.

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #4  
BFG all terrains:thumbsup:

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #6  
I use Cooper Discoverer S/T's on my 04 Dodge 2500 diesel for my winter tires and find that they work great and wear very well too. I run Toyo Open Country A/T's in the summer months. The Cooper's are great in the snow.

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #7  
A few years back I got fed up with the poor traction of the old, hard and worn out tires I had on my 1994 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy so I went hunting for a nice new set of tires and specifically asked for ones that would give me the best traction on ice and hard packed snow. They showed me a Cooper Discovery M+S tire and it looked like it would be just what the doctor ordered, lots of siping and they could be studded also. I bought a set (with studs) and I found they were all that they said they would be, and I certainly would recommend them. I also have a second set of rims & tires that are better suited for summertime usage.

index.php

Oh, BTW, these are a true winter/snow tire, complete with emblem.
severe_snowflake.gif

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #8  
I can't comment on the Yokohama's, but Cooper Discoverer ATR's are great tires.

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #9  
I think this is the perfect thread for me to comment on..
I just had to replace the oem tires on my 2010 tacoma.
Having run the coopers on my old durango I thought I wanted them again.
But I did a lot of research and checked with several off road places around town. No one recommended the coopers. The price was a little more, but I went with the yokohama.

I've put a little over 2000 miles on them and even been in a little snow and I believe I made the right decision...

I do drive alot... 39000 since last november.. And I just am in 4x4 at least 5 miles every day....

So your mileage may vary... Pun intended!

Justin

/ Cooper Discoverer vs. Yokohama Geolander #10  
discvr_ATR_Tread.jpg

vs

yokvl4.ang.jpg

of those 2 id pick the yoko