Moving a mobile home with pickup

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #11  
I've moved construction site office trailers w/ a one ton truck. They are alot lighter and smaller. ZZVYB6 is correct; there is a reason that drive away guys use a class 7 single drive axle truck. That means a rear axle on dual big rig tires w/ matching brakes and a suspension rated to handle over 20,000#...

The ball hitch is usually built from 1/2" steel plate.

The plumbing, HVAC and interior partitions in a Mobile home make it alot heavier than a job site trailer.

You may get there but you won't enjoy the trip and your truck will suffer more!

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #12  
I have an opportunity to make some money moving a mobile home. It's a 10x50 and needs to go 100 miles. Weight is estimated at 7500 lbs. It has a tongue and tires on it.

10x50? that sounds more like a construction trailer...

the OLD (70's) were 12'

today 14' is common and the widest are 16' (like mine)

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #13  
Getting it in position may be a problem, once you get there. I would also be concerned about tongue weight. Ken Sweet

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #14  
your one ton pickup truck is not going to be enough truck to safely haul a MH any distance down the road. a few miles, very slowly, it'd be fine. 100 miles, at some type of speed i'd assume, is a disaster waiting to happen. the tongue weight is going to be way too much for a pickup truck, the trailer wagging around is going to be too much for a PU, and MH brakes are terrible at best if they work, or even have them, so your truck is going to have to stop the whole thing. as said several times already, there is a reason MH companies use road tractors to move them.

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #15  
I agree with the others that 7500 lbs seems too low. It probably weighs at least double that even if it was empty.
To tow it 100 miles I think you need a much bigger truck.

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #16  
I would want to know what the tongue weight is. Most are very heavy on the tongue. I'm with the others that think 7500 is too light for that size of trailer. I wouldn't do this.

Kim

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #17  
My shop is a 10x20 single axel job site office trailer that I got from work. I pulled it home (32 miles) with my shop truck. A 01 Dodge 3500 dually with 2 ton springs and a hitch that would handle the weight. It did fine, however it still tried to push me around corners. I believe if it had brakes it might have been different. Im with the majority on this one.

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #18  
I have a buddy who hauled dirt/gravel for years. He bought a pup but no one would insure him because he had no experience with a gravel train.

If you haven't actually checked if you can get insurance doing this (with a 1 ton pickup) that would be my first step. I don't think it will be as easy as walking in and writing the check, like many said, there's a reason it's not normally done with a light truck. And if you're not completely honest with the insurance company you're not insured even if they take your premium.

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #19  
There's a reason they pull these with modified semi's.
The reason is a mobile home is to much for any pick up truck to handle .
How many axles does it have??

MH axles are typicaly 6500-7000lb rated. So If it has three axles, there is a good chance the weight is north of 13-14k. But if only two axles, It is probabally under that by a bit and you should be fine with you truck provided you have proper towing setup, which you say you do.
Towing a MH home is a whole different ball game and his truck falls far short for safe handling of one.

I would be real careful on this one.
I just had a Fema Mobile pulled into my place (12 X 35) that I originally thought I would pull in with my 1 ton. The guy I bought from suggested getting it moved by a towing service, and I thought their price reasonable for the risk $375 so went that way.
I had him drop it a bit short of where I needed it for a couple of reasons, figured
1*I could easily spot it with my tractor, boy was I wrong. Tounge weight on that thing was probably up around 2500 lbs. 3pt would not lift it, farm jack would not lift it, finally 75 horse Skidsteer did the trick, but made me awfully glad I did not have that thing hooked to the back of my one ton running down the road.
2*If it is seriously off balance, it could make for a really long ride at best, and a bit dangerous at worst.

1*I learned that the hard way back in 1972.
Had a farm boy with a large JD farm tractor.
to move a double wide a few feet onto the space on i'd prepared for it. When he tried to pull it forward the front wheels of the JD came up about 4 or five feet off the ground.
Had he not gotten it back down he would been crushed between the front of the trailer and the top of the tractor.
2*I think you mean really harry.

1*There'a reason that the Pros use a special truck which has the hitch very close to the rear axle AND dual rear tires.
2*100 miles is an eternity when you add it all up.
1* Ever see MobileHome Dealers manufacturers or transporters using pick ups to move Mobile Homes ?
homes with .
2*That's a huge gamble for only 100 dollars.

I've moved construction site office trailers w/ a one ton truck. They are alot lighter and smaller. ZZVYB6 is correct;
3*there is a reason that drive away guys use a class 7 single drive axle truck. That means a rear axle on dual big rig tires w/ matching brakes and a suspension rated to handle over 20,000#...

4*You may get there but you won't enjoy the trip and your truck will suffer more!
3*One of the most uneasy feelings i ever had was watching a 14 x 70 foot trailer being taken down a 3 or 4 hundred foot long pretty steep slope with a light skift on snow on it.
There was no driveway or gravel just the skift of snow on the grass.
We had one of those special MH transporter trucks.
Towing the MH and the guy that bought the home had a JD 350 or 450 dozer setting their waiting on us .
We hooked a heavy cable too the rear of the MH and the front of the dozer.
The dozer was to keep the truck and trailer from breaking traction and taking off down the hill.
4*The money in the pot ain't worth the risk.

your one ton pickup truck is not going to be enough truck to safely haul a MH any distance down the road. a few miles, very slowly, it'd be fine. 100 miles, at some type of speed i'd assume, is a disaster waiting to happen. the tongue weight is going to be way too much for a pickup truck, the trailer wagging around is going to be too much for a PU, and MH brakes are terrible at best if they work, or even have them, so your truck is going to have to stop the whole thing.
11* as said several times already, there is a reason MH companies use road tractors to move them.
11*Thats the only safe way.
It's also the only legal way.

I agree with the others that 7500 lbs seems too low. It probably weighs at least double that even if it was empty.
12*To tow it 100 miles I think you need a much bigger truck.
12*I'v had to move several MH when I was in the business .
No way would I have ever considered using a pick up truck .

/ Moving a mobile home with pickup #20  
I have moved a larger one than that with my 06 F-350 but only 3.5 miles.

7,500# seems light. A 33' long camper I move every year that is only 8.5' wide weighs 11,000#. The MH I moved was twice that weight with noting in it.

Repack all the bearings. 100 miles is a long way. Check with your insurance company to make sure you are covered on over width stuff and when doing it for hire. I did it as a donation to a local church so there was no money changing hands.

The biggest issue I had was getting it into position at the new lot. It was wet. We needed 3 other 4x4 vehicles to drag it though the muck and mud as I backed it up.

Chris

No where are the pictures of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!