It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #1  

Lt CHEG

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland T5.120
After buying the backhoe attachment for my tractor my uncle brought the whole trailer, tractor and backhoe by the scales at a local gravel bank. Let's just say that although I'm sure my 5.3L Silverado 1500 would have pulled the load, there's no way that I was willing to overload the truck and rear axle by about 3,000 pounds.

So I started looking at used 3/4 ton crew cabs from both Ford and GM. Originally I had test driven new 1 ton SRW Fords and found them okay, but the ride was still a little harsh for my liking, so I decided to give the 3/4 tons a try. Honestly the 3/4 ton Chevy and GMC trucks seem to provide the closest ride quality to my current half ton, but the Ford 3/4 ton is actually VERY close. So I've been looking for approximately 2006 to 2007 vintage used diesels for the last week and a half or so. (Thanks by the way to Diamondpilot for some offline assistance with my search).

Fast forward to last night. I got an electronic birthday card from my Chevy dealer yesterday so I figured that I'd give them a call and see if they had anything that might work for me. Long story short, they had a sweet 2007 Old body style non DPF Silverado diesel in stock with roughly 60,000 miles so I decided to take it for a test drive. I liked the truck and so did the wife, but the numbers weren't working exactly where I wanted them so I decided to wait.

Right next door to my Chevy dealer is a Ford dealer. On a whim I sent an email to their internet sales dept. about a couple of used F250's and also a new one, just for grins. It turns out that I used to work with the internet sales manager's son as a police officer with a local PD so I really got the VIP treatment. I decided to test drive a brand new 2010 F250 diesel Supercab XLT. I liked it very much and found driving it to be the most like driving my current truck. We worked the numbers (priced under invoice and X Plan for the matter) and the rebates on top of that. My cost and payments for a new F250 were going to be about the same as the used Chevy. So now it looks like I very well may end up driving a new 2010 F250 Power Stroke. The truck is on hold for me until Thursday and I have to decide if I can live without the crew cab. If so there is no question I'll be switching to the Ford. I rarely carry a passenger besides my wife and if so it's usually only one, so they can sprawl out across the whole back seat and have pretty good comfort. Usually my back seat gets filled with myself and one other person's snowmobile gear and two people ride up front if I've got a passenger as most of my miles come from towing my snowmobile rig to the good snow.

I just figured I'd share my experience with everyone and if I buy the truck I'll be sure to post pictures. The truck is an XLT with the Chromed nerf bars already installed, snow plow prep package, 9,800 pound GVWR, auxiliary heat unit for fast heat in the winter, cab marker lights and a bed liner. The only thing it doesn't have that I'll miss is the power seat and fog lights. I figure I'll just add the fog lights myself, and the lack of a power seat may actually be a blessing because it's easier to get it to exactly the right spot when someone else drives the truck and moves my seat. So what does everyone think?

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #2  
Keep us posted. Glad I could help... Nice to see you found one with the heavier GVWR package.

Chris

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #3  
Sounds like you are on the right track.

Slightly off topic question...I have "heard" that the only difference between 250 and 350 (Ford or Chevy) is one additional leaf spring...is that accurate or what other differences are there?

I am looking to move to an HD Crew Cab and might go to the 350/3500 just to get the extra towing flexibility...Thanks...Tom R

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles
I know that the F350 SRW really does offer some nice benefits over the F250, but since this is my only truck and my wife and I could perceive a difference in ride quality we've got to stick with the 3/4 ton. I'm thinking that the 9,800 pound GVWR should be able to handle just about anything that we would throw at it. Generally speaking the heaviest thing that I'd put in the back would be an ATV or snowmobile so I'm not as worried about payload as towing capacity. You'll be happy to know though Chris that I decided to keep looking after seeing an otherwise nice 2005 F250 crew cab that only had an 8,800 pound GVWR. You definitely conviced me that a heavier GVWR is the way to go.

As far as the difference between the F250 and F350, I really don't know if a leaf is the only difference or not. However I could perceive a difference in ride smoothness over potholes and what not with the F250 vs. the F350 SRW so I know there's got to be something.

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #5  
I have a 04 F-250 Diesel 4x4 and a 06 F-350 Diesel 4x4 Single Rear Wheel (SRW). I can not tell the difference in ride. The F-250 has the 10,000# GVWR package and the F-350 has the 11,500# GVWR. The only build change from the 04 to the 06 is that the 04 used a leaf spring front end while the 05's and later got a coil over front suspension. Maybe that makes up the difference.

So to answer your question, yes, the springs are really the only difference. Depending on model you get larger wheels. The real advantage is you gain payload capacity of as much as 1,500# Watch the GVWR of the truck. Remember, this also determines how it can handle a 5th wheel/GN or a bumper pull trailers tongue weight.

In the case of the 05 Lt Cheg spoke of with a low 8,800# GVWR the truck itself weighs 7,500# on average with a diesel and 4x4. Now put 2 in the cab and you are close to 8,000# rolling down the road. Legally you could only put 800# in the bed while the truck he is looking at with the 9,800# GVWR allows a true 3/4 ton plus at 1,800#

Chris

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #6  
So to answer your question, yes, the springs are really the only difference. Depending on model you get larger wheels. The real advantage is you gain payload capacity of as much as 1,500# Watch the GVWR of the truck. Remember, this also determines how it can handle a 5th wheel/GN or a bumper pull trailers tongue weight. Chris

If I move up to an HD version of the Crew Cab my thoughts are that the potential difference in ride would be offset by the increase in trailering flexibility. My needs are uncertain and may change...but once I move to 250 category I will likely go to the 350...never know how BIG a tractor (Or 5th wheel) I may get in the future :) Thanks...Tom R

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #7  
If I move up to an HD version of the Crew Cab my thoughts are that the potential difference in ride would be offset by the increase in trailering flexibility. My needs are uncertain and may change...but once I move to 250 category I will likely go to the 350...never know how BIG a tractor (Or 5th wheel) I may get in the future :) Thanks...Tom R

Thats what happend to me. Bought the F-250 when we had a 10,000# load to haul. 1 year later got a 16,000# or so load to haul and the F-250 simply did not have enough suspension. I did not want to air bag it so I got a 05 Damx 3500 SRW 4x4. I did not know enough at the time and it only had a 9,900# GVWR, actually less than the F-250 I already had.

I figured a 1 ton would be stronger than a 3/4 ton but it handled the weight no better than the F-250. I started doing research and ordered the heavies 1 ton SRW truck I could find which was the 06 F-350 I still have with the 11,500 GVWR. Its night a day difference what it will handle.

The 16,000# load would settle the F-250 and 3500 Dmax a good 8". The F-350 maybe 3". Steering, braking, and overall handling is much better with a load.

Chris

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #8  
It's usually not that simple. There can be many changes, and most aren't visible. Examples are: heavier front and rear axles including ring and pinion sizes, heavier springs and higher spring rates, tires maybe, brakes, variations in the same model transmission, axle ratio selections and frame section modulus. It's rarely a case of simply slipping in an extra leaf and a different badge.

Thanks for the reply K7LN...that is info I am seeking.

Question...are you certain your examples apply to current models of F 250/F350 and the GM 2500/3500??

I have had multiple sales staff tell me the extra leaf is only difference between 250/350 and 2500/3500. They do say that there are significant differences...such as you mention...between 150/250 and 1500/2500 but claim not (Other than the extra leaf spring) between 250/350 and 2500/3500.

Thanks...hope to clarify this...Tom R

P.S. Ya I know...don't believe sales person :) TMR

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #9  
Thanks for the reply K7LN...that is info I am seeking.

Question...are you certain your examples apply to current models of F 250/F350 and the GM 2500/3500??

I have had multiple sales staff tell me the extra leaf is only difference between 250/350 and 2500/3500. They do say that there are significant differences...such as you mention...between 150/250 and 1500/2500 but claim not (Other than the extra leaf spring) between 250/350 and 2500/3500.

Thanks...hope to clarify this...Tom R

P.S. Ya I know...don't believe sales person :) TMR

Sales folks!:mad: You're right, don't trust 'em. My guess on the comment that there's little difference in 250 and 350 is that they probably have more 250's on the lot and less 350's (SRW). More to choose from in the 250's means better chance at a deal. All this, of course, would apply to 2500's and 3500's as well.

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #10  
As far as I can tell comparing my 04 F-250 and my 06 F-350 SRW is there is spring, shock, wheels and tires are bigger, and brake components that are different. I can see nothing different in the axles and frames. Both have 3.73 gears so that may have something to do with it.

Simple fact is if you go to Fords site and build two identical trucks the F-350 SRW will only cost about $600 more than the identical F-250. There is no way you could upgrade a F-250 to be as stout as a SRW F-350 for that money.

Its a no brainier to me to skip the F-250 and get the SRW F-350 but that is just me. I have had 2 3/4 ton trucks and have learned my lesson. They just do not have the payload to match the power of the Diesel engine.

Chris