Dump Trailer for L 48 TLB?

/ Dump Trailer for L 48 TLB? #1  

leoniru

Tractor
L 48 TLB
I've been absent from this forum for awhile so please humor me if my question seems to cover a thoroughly hashed-over topic.
I'm looking to purchase a trailer with which to transport my L 48 TLB around with ( I do not presently own a suitable tow vehicle). Initially I was sure that a 18' 10,000 0r 12,000 lb. GVWR deckover with beavertail was THE way to go. The only drawback being that I also want to be able to trailer the occasional load of logs, and I reasoned that if I trailer the L 48 to the logs and use it to skid and load them onto the trailer, then trailer the load of logs home (leaving the L 48 at the timbering site), I'd then be faced with the problem of SAFELY and easily unloading the logs from the trailer-----soooo now I'm thinking that a dump trailer might REALLY be the way to go as the UNloading problem would disappear, and I would no longer need to think about buying a one ton dump truck (all CUT owners need a one ton dump truck!)

As I live in Pa., I know that Bri-Mar manufactures such trailers right here in Pa. about an hour's drive from me. Their model DT 614-12 LP HD SEEMS to be nearly perfect in specs except for the overall length of 14'. Though they do make longer dump trailers they have much higher GVWRs, and this would put me into the land of CDL-- something I prefer to avoid if in any way possible.
I'd prefer NOT having to remove the 'hoe attachment to trailer the L 48, besides, what would I do if I needed to trailer the machine to a site where I needed the hoe?

Bottom line is does anyone have any experience/knowledge with using a dump trailer for moving around a machine the size of an L 48?

Does it seem doable?

Any alternative suggestions?

Jim S.

/ Dump Trailer for L 48 TLB? #2  
Jim, thats odd, I was kinda thinking about the same set of circumstances as you only not logs but material. Something to pull a tractor in with all attachments on but able to use as a material hauler but still be under the weight/licensing requirements. I haven't done much checking myself, only looking as I drive around. Trailers are pretty much a local thing. Out here we have Sundowner and PacWest trailers, among a number of suppliers. The yard at Sundowner looks filled with all sorts of interesting trailers. I'll see what I can come up with.

P.S. Just finished putting a reinforcing piece of steel over the top of my L 48 bucket. Where I had a hook welded on in the middle I was lifting and curling the bucket an bent it slightly. Its not that the bucket is weak but rather the loader so strong. Since getting my new control valve (shortly after my purchase last year) makes it so strong that its pretty easy to do. The steel also gives me a great way to visualize the bucket angle as it relates to the ground. Rat...

/ Dump Trailer for L 48 TLB? #3  
May I offer an alternative. What you really need is a second tractor with loader to leave at home so that you can use it to unload when you return. This completely eliminates the need to get a CDL which seems to be one of your major concerns.

There is no such thing as having too many tractors.

Jack

/ Dump Trailer for L 48 TLB? #4  
Jim,

Would the 14' trailer be long enough if you raised the tractor's FEL bucket and let it ride ahead of the front wall of the dump trailer? Just a thought.

Dave

/ Dump Trailer for L 48 TLB? #5  
I do not believe you will fit a L48 on a 14' dump trailer. I just got a new 7' & 12' Hawke dump trailer an a B21 just fits.
I also haul my L35 TLB on my Hudson 16' beaver tail trailer and have no room to spare. Trailers are cheap, buy another trailer!! Hawke does make a 16' dump trailer that just might work!!!

Jon

/ Dump Trailer for L 48 TLB?
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I may have found an answer to my dilemma. Found a manufacturer (again right here in Pa.) that lists a 7' x 12' 10,000 GVWR dumper for $3,500.00. They list an additional length option at $100.00 per extra foot. $150.00 for slide-in ramps. I figure on adding another 8 feet, so my total price should be $4,450.00! Not too shabby, if it's for real. Will contact them tomorrow to verify these figures and options availability.

Heh Rat;
Did your control valve outright fail, or did you suspect that something was just not quite right?

Jim S.

Alas! Found out today that the trailer manufacturer I thought could fulfill all my trailer dreams will NOT build it 7' wide, nor 20' long, or in a tagalong style.
Said they WOULD build me one 18' long in 8' width but only in a gooseneck style.
Can someone PLEASE explain to me (in engineering terms if neccesary) how and why a gooseneck design is preferable or superior in certain situations verses a tag-along? I can understand the advantage of using a gooseneck WITH A 5TH WHEEL HITCH, but don't see how it would be advantageous if used on a frame mounted hitch (located BEHIND the tow vehicle's rear axle) other than to increase clearance during tight cornering.
Am I missing something here?

JIm S.

/ Dump Trailer for L 48 TLB? #9  
Jim,
You don't really NEED a 20' long trailer for the 48,but it would be nice to be able to put the hoe and loader down.The first trailer I had to move my L35 on was only 13' long,I would drive on the trailer and curl the loader bucket all the way back,set the loader arms down and pull forward till the bottom of the bucket would hit the front of the trailer and I would just pin the hoe in the upright position,you just had to make sure that the machine was tied down well cause it does have a tendency to bounce a bit more.I think you could probably get away with a 14 to 16' long dumper if you did this.I always liked the idea of having a trailer that has 2 functions,like you said,you just may have to sacrifice the ability to put the hoe down.

Tags;

I agree that 20' length would be a luxury. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for that 18' long dumper in 8' width. What concerns me about the shorter bed length is that it limits your ability to shift the cargo (i.e. L 48 TLB) for the purpose of adjusting the tongue weight. About all you can do is reverse the machine in the trailer or remove attachments/implements---something I don't want to deal with after spending $5,000.00 on a new trailer. What happens if you end up with several TONS or very little tongue weight no matter what you try and do?
It sure would be nice if one could actually 'try the trailer on for size' so to speak before buying it.

I'm pretty sure I should be able to fit the machine onto an 18 footer, especially a gooseneck style as that would definitely allow one to rest the FEL implement on top of the gooseneck without undue worry about clearance problems when cornering.

I'm not really planning on doing a lot of trailering nor for long distances, but the ability to trailer my machine at all would certainly open up a lot more opportunity for me as a hobbiest logger/backhoe operator.

JIm S.