How do i transport my tractor??? Help!!

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!! #1  

bnew17

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 JD 5310 w/ 542 FEL
Ok here is a picture of my tractor. It does not run. I am trying to get it to my repair guy who lives an hour away. I have access to a trailer i can use with electric brakes or i will have to use a tow truck. Which i would rather only use as a last option. The problem im going to run into is the arms on the front end loader are resting on the ground. The bucket is not attached. How would i go about getting this on the tractor without doing any damage. Is there any way for me to lift up the arms??? Any input is greatly appreciated. The tractor is a Ford 5000 . Thank you

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!! #2  
I know it wont run but have some one hook a chain to your tractor and pull it while in gear, use the lever like you would to raise the loader and it will come up as you pull it. :thumbsup:

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!! #3  
If the loader hydraulics are in good shape you can use a wagon jack or another lifting device to lift the loader while holding the loader hydraulic valve in the lift position. Once you get it high enough release the valve and lower the lifting device. It will drop some but should stay off the ground. Once you get the loader arms high enough you could put a heavy pipe or shaft across the bumper in front of your radiator and under the loader arms to hold the arms up off the ground

Next drag it up on the trailer and chain it down. Be sure to load the front of the trailer so you have plenty of hitch weight.

That should make a good tractor, Too bad it was left to waste away.

Dan

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!!
If the loader hydraulics are in good shape you can use a wagon jack or another lifting device to lift the loader while holding the loader hydraulic valve in the lift position. Once you get it high enough release the valve and lower the lifting device. It will drop some but should stay off the ground. Once you get the loader arms high enough you could put a heavy pipe or shaft across the bumper in front of your radiator and under the loader arms to hold the arms up off the ground

Next drag it up on the trailer and chain it down. Be sure to load the front of the trailer so you have plenty of hitch weight.

That should make a good tractor, Too bad it was left to waste away.

Dan

Thanks for the tips everyone. Yeah Dan the man who i bought this tractor from is really old and feeble and the tractor tore up on him about a year ago and he never had it repaired since he had a MF as a back up...i ended up getting the tractor and a 8ft heavy framed harrow for 1400.

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!! #5  
Thanks for the tips everyone. Yeah Dan the man who i bought this tractor from is really old and feeble and the tractor tore up on him about a year ago and he never had it repaired since he had a MF as a back up...i ended up getting the tractor and a 8ft heavy framed harrow for 1400.

Could be a deal if its a cheap fix or could cost you big time. Like the others said just pull the loader valve back and lift the loader arms with another tractors FEL or a high lift jack. Just be careful.

Chris

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!! #6  
If the tractor will yurn over just hold the loader lever while turning it over.
Or just push, drag or pull it on backwards.

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!!
Could be a deal if its a cheap fix or could cost you big time. Like the others said just pull the loader valve back and lift the loader arms with another tractors FEL or a high lift jack. Just be careful.

Chris

yeah thats what im hoping is that its a fairly cheap fix...because thats the only reason i bought the tractor....if its going to get pricey i will just sell the tractor as is,,, i feel confident i can get my money out of it.

the only thing i know about the tractor is what the previous owner told me that he had the tranny replaced and the tractor was running fine, and he parked it after plowing his garden. a few weeks later he went to use it and it would not crank and some of the fluids were mixing.

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!! #8  
Getting the loader up is half the problem.. keeping it up is the other half..

For getting it up.. if you cable/chain to the front pin and run under the loader cross bar, pulling slowly with ... will get the loader to lift as the chain/cable goes straight. This also works for pull starting even with the bucket on... just takes work to get under the bucket.

Keeping it up is a matter of bracing it ... a couple of 4x4s either (a) tied to the lift cylinders... and long enough to block in .. or (b) across the front of the tractor on the loader brace.

/ How do i transport my tractor??? Help!! #10