Be careful out there...

/ Be careful out there... #1  

bw_wis

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubuta B2630
I'm sharing my story in hopes that I can help prevent what happened to me from happening to others here.

Often read posts asking basically "Can I get away with this...". After my experience I'd have say NO! Absolutely not!

After five years of touring a Broadway musical. My tour ended in LA. So I loaded up my 2005, 3/4 ton, 8.1l Suburban. Hooked up my 8.5x20, 10k cargo trailer I've been using as a mobile workshop. And started my road trip home to WI. Planning to make several stops along the way to see friends and family.

I have well over 10,000 miles over 2 yrs driving this rig. Trailer was inspected at my dealer in WI about 3 months ago. Suburban was serviced and inspected at a dealer in LA before starting this trip. I had the proper hitch setup. Had a P3 brake controller. I got myself weighted and confirmed I was under all axle, tire, vehicle, and DOT ratings and my balance was good. Tire pressures checked, fluids checked.

Just outside Las Vegas a cross wind on a down hill stretch of I15 started my trailer swinging. Btw I traveling 10mph under the posted 75. I'll let the pics tell the rest.

I'm fine. I'm lucky. And thankful nobody else was caught up in my problems.

If anyone wants to pics of the trailer before the accident. Search "my swiss army trailer build" in build it yourself forum. Or something like that. Writing on my friends mac as my pc was lost in the accident. Not sure how work the mac.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    999.4 KB · Views: 251
   / Be careful out there... #2  
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. :( How exactly did it catch fire? Glad you are okay.

/ Be careful out there...
Don't think I mentioned earlier. The suburban rolled a full 360 landing on its wheels. Trailer became disconnected in the process and didn't roll.

The fire started in the engine compartment. Being 30-40 miles into desert. Response time was slow. Waited 20 painful minutes watching the fire slowing reach the trailer.

Btw the seatbelt and construction the suburban allowed me to literally walk away.

/ Be careful out there... #4  
WOW!!! Amazing you walked away from this! I had my trailer do some swaying on a trip to Myrtle Beach....had to stop and grease the ball.

Glad you are able to write about this!

/ Be careful out there... #5  
Glad you are ok and no one was hurt.

Chris

/ Be careful out there... #6  
DANG..glad your still w/us.

/ Be careful out there... #7  
Wow, that's scary. I've had them sway when I loaded them wrong, without enough weight up front, but I guess the wind can really do you in. Glad you're alright.

/ Be careful out there... #8  
My mother had a very similar accident several years ago. A slightly used f250 pulling a brand new tag camper, 24' I think. The dealer set up the hitch and everything was great. The first trip out was going to be a shake things down. Well things got shaken down as the rolled over and closed the south bound lane for 3 hours.

/ Be careful out there... #9  
I'm really sorry to hear that. Glad you were OK. I assume insurance will cover it?