Chevy vs Ford Diesel Shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Chevy vs Ford Diesel Shootout #3  
Ford says "no". :laughing:

/ Chevy vs Ford Diesel Shootout #5  
Two things come to mind. First, the GM is 800# lighter on average. That may or may not be true with the new GM trucks since they finally got a better and heavier chassis.

Second is who is picking what the test will be? Yes, GM or Ford may be better than one or the other at a particular weight. I would like to see them tested with 5,000#, 7,500#, 10,000#, 12,000#, 15,000#, 17,500#, 20,000#, and at max tow weight.

I would not be surprised at medium weights the GM will out perform the Ford. GM has really made strides in the last year. I have said it before and will say it again, I am really impressed with what GM had done this year. They finally got decent brakes, a real chassis, a front axle that can finally handle some weight, ect.

Now the real question is when will Dodge get back into the game?

Chris

/ Chevy vs Ford Diesel Shootout #6  
Now the real question is when will Dodge get back into the game?
If that game is the pissing contest on who can make the most hp/tq then I'm glad their not in it. I would rather have an "under-powered" proven and reliable million-mile engine rather than a powerhouse throw-away that will be redesigned and renamed every few years... :rolleyes:

How much is that Diesel Exhaust Fluid again? :laughing:

/ Chevy vs Ford Diesel Shootout #7  
No matter what the reason, nor what the outcome may be, it does not look good in this class of vehicles to turn down a challenge like this--if both agree to the terms.

John M

/ Chevy vs Ford Diesel Shootout #9  
Very interesting. I give it to GM. Like I said before they had a truck that would FINALLY give Ford a run for its money. This new truck is a winner. One thing I did notice reading the article is the great differences in gearing of the tranny. The GM uses much higher gears than the Ford in the tranny??? Not sure how this works out in the real world but it looks like Ford missed the gearing in the tranny.

Dodge is still out of the picture and I still will not support GM.

I would really like to see Toyota and Nissan get into the Heavy Duty Diesel truck Market.

Chris

/ Chevy vs Ford Diesel Shootout #10  
How much is that Diesel Exhaust Fluid again? :laughing:

You'll be able to buy it at your local RAM dealer too in 2012 I believe. I did look at the Dodges in my search for a new truck too and I had a couple of frank discussions with one of the dealers. He told me that Chrysler knows that it will not be able to meet the next round of emissions requirements with the 6.7 liter Cummins as is so they too will be adding a urea injection system to their new trucks, it is already in the works according to this dealer who had just gotten back from a seminar put out by Chrylser. I'm actually looking forward to the next redesign of the Cummins to include urea injection. The extra cost of the urea is more than made up for by the much improved fuel economy. Unfortunately the environmental lobby has won the last few rounds so federal law has mandated that we trade fuel economy for lower emissions so like it or not urea injection is here to stay. The days of the simple diesel are over forever so I'm more than happy to embrace the new technology as it is giving fuel economy in the case of the Ford and GM engines almost as good as the pre emissions days, while the engines themselves are delivering 50 to 60 percent more power which also yields more capability. As for me personally neither the 2011 Ford or Chevy diesels were necessary for the work that I needed to do and their vastly increased cost over the deal I got on my 2010 Ford would likely never have been made up for with their higher fuel economy based upon the number of miles I drive per year (Around 6,000) with my truck. I'm pleased with the choice I made and if I keep my truck past the warranty period I will remove the DPF and add a tuner and end up with respectable fuel economy again that rivals the new urea equipped engines, at least as reported by many folks who have gone the DPF delete route. Until that day I'll just have to burn an old tire from time to time to tick off the environmental lobby. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.