Is this enough rig?

/ Is this enough rig? #1  

teach

Silver Member
I have a fairly new 14' tandem axle trailer w/ brakes that I use to move my Kubota B7500 w/loader and sometimes a brush hog, to move firewood, lumber, etc. I currently use a 2002 full size extra cab 4WD Chevy pickup with tow/haul mode capability, and set up for the trailer brakes. It tows it no problem.

However, I am wondering if a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/ factory hitch (rated for towing 5000 lbs & 500 lb tongue weight), and I would set it up for trailer brakes capability too, would pull the same setup described above? I don't generally have to tow the tractor more than 20 or 30 miles round trip.

What do you guys think, can the FJ Cruiser (4 WD, auto, 6 cyl.) do it, or is it crazy to even try?
Thanks.
Teach

Last edited:
   / Is this enough rig? #2  
I think it would be OK as long as you don't go through the mountains or try a panic stop on a curve. Just cruising along at relatively low speeds on flat ground or through town would be fine.

/ Is this enough rig? #3  
what's yer tractor and trailer weight?

soundguy

/ Is this enough rig? #4  
I have a fairly new 14' tandem axle trailer w/ brakes that I use to move my Kubota B7500 w/loader and sometimes a brush hog, to move firewood, lumber, etc. I currently use a 2002 full size extra cab 4WD Chevy pickup with tow/haul mode capability, and set up for the trailer brakes. It tows it no problem.

However, I am wondering if a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/ factory hitch (rated for towing 5000 lbs & 500 lb tongue weight), and I would set it up for trailer brakes capability too, would pull the same setup described above? I don't generally have to tow the tractor more than 20 or 30 miles round trip.

What do you guys think, can the FJ Cruiser (4 WD, auto, 6 cyl.) do it, or is it crazy to even try?
Thanks.
Teach

TractorData has the B7500 at 1375 lb. Add 500 for the FEL and 500 for the hog, you're at 2400 lb. Trailer weight is probably around 2000 lb. So it looks like your FJ could get it moving. Don't know about stopping that load. I'd check the brake system carefully before towing.

Good luck.

/ Is this enough rig? #5  
The FJ has a soft suspension with alot of travel. Your trailer would probably tend to boss the back end of that truck around.

/ Is this enough rig? #6  
The best thing you can do is weigh the trailer empty, then go by the tractor/accessories weight, do the math. Toyotas are known for being light on the rear for towing and needing upgrades in suspension around here.

/ Is this enough rig? #7  
I would think your biggest problem will be getting the right tongue weight. A 14' trailer doesn't leave much room to move it front to back. I had a T100 with a V6 in it and it had no problems pulling a 5000lb load. I used it all the time to haul cars on a 16' trailer. Worst case is you would need a weight distributing hitch.

/ Is this enough rig? #8  
The worst thing I have seen people do is, try and level the truck/trailer out when loading. Its like they hook up a trailer and load it, but dont want to make the truck squat some on the rear...............DUMBEST thing I have ever seen.