Gmc shocks replacement

/ Gmc shocks replacement #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
How tough is it to replace the shocks on a 2002 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4? The rears look easy but how tough are the fronts?

/ Gmc shocks replacement #2  
they just unbolt like any other shock. Air tools make it a snap. Some muscle is needed to compress the shock when lining the new one up. Sometimes the top nut can be rusted and needs to be cut off. When this happens I cut it off with a torch. If you don't have a torch or air tools, make sure the upper nut comes off first cause that's usually the harder end, use lots of penetrating oil.

/ Gmc shocks replacement #3  
I do all my own work but in my 30 years of driving the two things that I have found not worth while is shocks and exhaust. Rust is usually the issue. I changed the shocks on my 89 Blazer and the tears took 20 minutes, the fronts took 5 hours. I did not have a torch. Same with the one and only exhaust I did.

End result is you can get it done for about $50 around here if you supply the parts.

Chris

/ Gmc shocks replacement #4  
I have all the shop tools required for doing these tasks but the average homeowner does not. Handy tools for a job like this would be at least a floor jack, reciprocating saw, wrench set, maybe a nut splitter, vise grip pliers.
It all goes much faster if you have a lift, torch set, and air tools. Just takes a little longer without them. I've been doing this work plus much more on my own vehicles for well over 40 years so it doesn't take me too long.

/ Gmc shocks replacement #5  
They aren't bad to replace on Chevy's...If you have air tools it takes most of the pain out...If the top nut is siezed...Hit it with a cut-off wheel. No problem after that.

As was said, it takes some muscle to get the shock into position. Still not bad.

I don't do exhausts anymore...just aint worth it. The locals do it cheaper than I can.

/ Gmc shocks replacement #6  
I don't do exhausts anymore...just aint worth it. The locals do it cheaper than I can.

Last time I did shocks and exhaust I compared it to what the parts would cost me. On the exhaust for example Midas could do it for about $125 on a Saturn from the Converter back. I was going to have $110 in parts alone. No way I am doing it myself to save $15.

Chris

/ Gmc shocks replacement
I've got the tools, I just didn't know if the fronts were like the struts on a car where you need a spring compressor or not. I've done that once, and have a spring compressor, but it was a pain in the butt.

/ Gmc shocks replacement #8  
Nope, no spring compressor. Just simple grunt work. No special tools needed as long as things aren't too rusty.

/ Gmc shocks replacement #9  
I have use the cheap Harbor Freight nut splitter more times than I can count.

Don't even try and remove the top nuts. Just cut them off. It will be a piece of cake.

The special tool that holds the top of the shock so yo can tighten the nut is not bad to have either. Maybe not necessary, but nice to have. I know Snap On makes one.

/ Gmc shocks replacement #10  
You may be able to get the front top shock mount loose, or at least break it. A nice little trick it take a long extension (2 feet or so) and put the right size socket on it, go under the hood and put both on the top nut and just yank the extention back and forth, it will work harden the shaft and break it right off. Probably the simplest way to get those off. A half inch impact will shear that thing off too. Your're going to have to hold the shock from spinning in the wheel well though! Also note that all this can be done on the ground, no jacking up the truck required.