looking at a 09 superduty 6.4L powerstroke

/ looking at a 09 superduty 6.4L powerstroke #221  
I don't agree to anything yet. I believe the gauges display temperature proportional to what the sender sees. Why there is no calibrated scale,

In testing some rather well respected gauges before installing them in some vehicles, I've found that their calibration was waaaay off. I've also seen an extremely expensive transit that was "just calibrated" measure way off from a relatively inexpensive laser unit. When the high end German made transit was taken back in for calibration and certification, it was found to be way off just like the cheapo laser unit called it. Who is say that 'expensive' aftermarket or even some factory gauges are not considerably off in their calibration?

/ looking at a 09 superduty 6.4L powerstroke #222  
Dargo, all I can say is that I see the statement of requirement for some of these components. If they are truly so far off, someone is either going to be doing a recall or a quiet campaign action. For aftermarket, basically no consequences unless the customer complains.

The test that was mentioned was a "simulation" of the sensor. I have more faith dunking the real thing into the hot oil with a second calibrated gauge to compare to the digitized value.

I have not yet done anything to stress the truck, but I'm sure I will be paying attention when I do. So far, I would be happier if it warmed up sooner. I don't have the cold weather package, so no plug in heater.

/ looking at a 09 superduty 6.4L powerstroke #223  
The weird part is that they have a multi function display. All they have to do is give you the option to display whatever parameter you want. If its transmission fluid temp, you should be able to see the value in degrees right on the display. Getting a multi function tool that displays the can bus data is probably not a bad idea since one may need it for fault codes anyway, and its use will help one know exactly how your system works, how the gauges are calibrated and skip all the speculation.

My HD & Tahoe both accurately display what the temp is, HD by what the needle is reading, Tahoe has a button that gives me the trans temp digitally. I'd prefer that over a "field" that leaves me guessing what the temp is. That turned me off.

Builder, you might not want to assert that a problem that existed in 2002 (which may have been legit at the time) is still the same 6 or 8 years later. You may also poke around in the forums to see if the gauge clusters on your favorite vehicle still work the way you think they do in 2011. Chevy may have gone to the "dark side" too by now...

Not a concern to me as I own an '07 which appears to display the temp the needle is reading much more to my liking. The thought of running around with cooked tranny oil & not knowing it would worry me. I'm happy you're confident in your vehicle's systems, but concerned with the many Fords that aren't giving their owner the correct info they should have.

/ looking at a 09 superduty 6.4L powerstroke #224  
I would not agree. As the article stated, each sender and gauge unit is unique and may not exhibit the same characteristics.

The 8 bar graph on my Kubota never goes above 3, unless the rad is plugged, so when I see it at 4 or 5, despite being normal, I go blow out the rad.

I've never had a linear fuel gauge in a car or piece of equipment, My Massey reads 3/4 even when there is 140 L of diesel in it. My toyota reads empty and the idiot light is on with a 1/4 tank left.

You get used to what normal is, thats how I use gauges.

Would you agree I've proven with research done by a competent person that the Ford trans temp gauge is more like an idiot light and doesn't tell you the trans fluid is too hot before it's too late in some, if not many superduty ford trucks?

/ looking at a 09 superduty 6.4L powerstroke #225  
Dargo, all I can say is that I see the statement of requirement for some of these components. If they are truly so far off, someone is either going to be doing a recall or a quiet campaign action. For aftermarket, basically no consequences unless the customer complains.

The test that was mentioned was a "simulation" of the sensor. I have more faith dunking the real thing into the hot oil with a second calibrated gauge to compare to the digitized value.

I have not yet done anything to stress the truck, but I'm sure I will be paying attention when I do. So far, I would be happier if it warmed up sooner. I don't have the cold weather package, so no plug in heater.

On my 04 it the block heater element was installed, I just had to add the cord. I got it from the dealer for about $35 but they are all over the net, EBAY ect, for $20

Chris

/ looking at a 09 superduty 6.4L powerstroke #226  
hmm.. now i'm wondering about that f450.. i know it has an aftermarket set of SW gauges on the WS post.. trans temp is one of them.. can't remember what's on the dash cluster though.. don't know it' it's the lil go/no go gauge like my 250 has.. or an idiot lamp. not a big fan of idiot lamps...

soundguy

/ looking at a 09 superduty 6.4L powerstroke #227  
Just another update: I am still getting 14.8-15mpg on my snowy commute on a daily basis.

When the recent blizzard came through, I had to take my wife (critical care nurse) in to work at the very worst of the storm. I had plowed our subdivision road with my bobcat the previous night at midnight (as late as I dared) since I suspected we would have problems with drifting and blowing snow. I also cleared where our road met the major road, so that the plow (when it came) would not push up a wall 4 feet high that no-one could get through. When I plowed, the snow was about 1ft deep, some drifts 18" to 2 ft. I took it all the way down to the roadway. The next morning at 6am, the same areas were back to 12-18" and I had to gun the engine in the truck to make it through that mess.

The worst was that no plow had been down the main road and I had several miles to go through snow that was 12-18" deep. I was not sure, several times, whether we were going to make it. I have a lot of experience driving in deep sand, so I apply that knowledge to snow, the main thing being not to stop under any circumstances.... I got my wife to work safe and on time, then on the way back, I had to evade a plow truck which put me off the shoulder far enough that I got 2 wheels into a culvert and nearly stuck...

When I got home, I plowed the subdivision road again with the bobcat, then used the snowblower on the driveway and walkways and finally had to rake snow off the garden shed roof and shake it off the "firewood tent" roof to save those structures from collapse. By the time I was done with all of that, it was 3pm and just then the county plow came by for the first time...