Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #21  
Isn't the hitch directly over the axle ?

Not if installed properly. It should be 6" forward of the rear axle.

Chris

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #22  
Not if installed properly. It should be 6" forward of the rear axle.

Got ya, but what Duffster said still doesn't make sense.

"It will actually put less weight on the rear and put weight on the front axle."

In order to transfer more weight to the front axle, would you not have to apply the weight forward of a half way mark between the 2 axles ? :confused:

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #23  
With a receiver/bumper pull, the entire tongue load is cantilevered aft of the rear axle, so it puts the entire load on the rear axle, AND removes some load from the front axle as the truck nose tips up (slightly or more, depending on the situation). Mounting the GN forward of the rear axle will distribute at least some of the load to the front axle. How much would generally depend on the inverse ratio of the distances to the rear axle and the front axle, from the GN mount, but that is a simplification.

If you have heard of the trick with a bathroom scale for measuring tongue loads by using a bar on the scale and on a block and placing the tongue at some fraction of the bar length, it is the same principle. The closer to the scale you place the load point, the more load the scale sees.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #24  
I see where I miss understood him now.

His statement was in comparison of a bumper hitch to a goose.

The way I first read it, I took it he meant a goose hitch would put a higher percentage on the front then the rear.

I'm on the right track now. :ashamed:

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #25  
Where's a weight distribution hitch stand compared to a goose neck as far as 'distribution' ?

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #26  
Where's a weight distribution hitch stand compared to a goose neck as far as 'distribution' ?

You can put too much weight on the front wheels if you tighten the spring bars too much. When towing with too much weight forward on one of my units, the rear tires would go up in smoke on a quick take off while the empty truck would barely squeal them. Can't do that with a properly installed 5th or gooseneck unless the rear of the trailer is badly overloaded.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #27  

IMHO a WDH is a crutch used to (try to) make up for an under-rated tow vehicle, or a trailer with improper tongue weight.

Flame away.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #28  
We're talking 5000 lbs here, with a 1 ton truck. Any cheap bumper pull car hauler would work fine and safely.
Hmm i missed the 1 ton part... ;) I pull 5000lbs with my 1430kg weighing Volvo, when required. (Load distribution is critical) A one ton truck would weigh more than double that ;)

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #29  
I'll give you a roast lol. Its not a crutch, its just another tool. Even on a 1 ton with a heavy tongue weight trailer they help keep enough weight for balanced braking and turning on the front tires.

On rough roads they tend to take a lot of the surge out of tall loads. Makes things a lot more pleasant.

IMHO a WDH is a crutch used to (try to) make up for an under-rated tow vehicle, or a trailer with improper tongue weight.

Flame away.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #30  
On rough roads they tend to take a lot of the surge out of tall loads. Makes things a lot more pleasant.

The weight distributing hitch really does help the road ability of a truck and trailer. Add air bags to keep truck level and it gets even better.Makes it possible for me to have a camper mounted and tow a trailer at the same time :thumbsup: