Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #1  

Harold_J

Gold Member
I have a 1-ton pickup and have to a haul loads consisting of 3-5 pallet boxes of 1,000 lbs each a few times a year. I can slide 2 pallets in the pickup bed that fill it right to the tailgate, and sometimes I will empty the contents of a third pallet into the space left along the sides. It is still well within weight capacity at this point.

My question is if I get a trailer to haul these loads should I get a smaller bumper pull and continue to load some material in the truck bed or should I go for a larger trailer, maybe a gooseneck, that can haul the entire load by itself?

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #2  
Would you use the trailer for anything else? If I read your post correctly, you are talking a load of 5000lbs or less. I tandem axle bumper pull (car hauler) type trailer would do this easily and cost about $2000 or a little more. When you say goose neck, I always think of a larger trailer designed for larger loads and would cost quite a bit more.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #3  
You have lots of options. I think you'll find that if you have a trailer that you'll use it for things you've never thought of before. If you get a tandem deck over around 17-20 feet then you can easily load the pallets from the side or end (no fenders in the way) as well as any tractors, trucks, jeeps, wood, sheds, etc....

Another great option would be a dump trailer. I have a 12'x7.5' deckover dump trailer. The nice thing about our deckover dump trailer is that there's no fenders and of course the tailgate drops down or comes off. The additional benefit of the deckover is that the 12' sides also drop down like a tailgate or can come off. This allows me to load pallets from the sides of the trailer or the back of the trailer. Also allows you to shovel mulch into beds from the side (pull along side the shrub bed and just keep inching the truck forward) or load quads from the side.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #4  
That load should easily fit onto a non-goose-neck trailer.

The inconvenience of connecting/disconnecting the trailer at both the loading and unloading point would probably cause me to put 100% of the load onto the trailer.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #5  
I would put the load on a trailer if it were me. I personally like the low boy car hauler style. Yes, there are fenders to deal with but its not a issue if you know what you are doing. When I go to get palleted material I take a 10' 4x4 with me. They set the pallet on with a fork lift, back up, I put the 4x4 between the pallet and the fork truck and they drive forward pushing it up. When I am ready to unload at my place I use my forks on my tractor to just pick up the 2 rear most pallets. The front 2 I simply hook a chain to and drag back before picking them up.

I only haul pallets 1 or 2 times a year but haul cars and tractors about 20 times a year. I prefer the low boy for these operations since that is what I do 90% of the time.

I had a 25' GN. It was just too big for me. Pain to climb up on for loose items like lumber. Also hated not having my bed for other stuff when pulling it.

Chris

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #6  
if i had a known load and was buying a trailer for it, i'd try to get one that would haul the whole load.

there are times when i have to unload and head off somewhere else in a hurry, or times when i can't unload the cargo immediately. it's nice to be able to unhook the trailer and have the truck for use again, rather than have the truck and trailer tied up untill i get it all unloaded.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #7  
Gooseneck is the only way to go.

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #8  
Guess I must be to cautious or the Odd Ball again but I don't like pulling loaded hitch type trailers with an empty pick-up. To much chance of jack knife situation if you need to brake hard or fish tailing if not loaded properly.

I.e. when you brake hard the trailer tends to lift the rear of the tow vehicle. This reduces the weight on the front axle of the trailer which is the brake axle on most trailers I have pulled.

Down side of some fifth wheels is they now limit what you can haul in your bed do to the 5th wheel hitch frame.

What ever you do for that size load make sure the trailer has working brakes.

Roy

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #9  
Guess I must be to cautious or the Odd Ball again but I don't like pulling loaded hitch type trailers with an empty pick-up. To much chance of jack knife situation if you need to brake hard or fish tailing if not loaded properly.

I.e. when you brake hard the trailer tends to lift the rear of the tow vehicle. This reduces the weight on the front axle of the trailer which is the brake axle on most trailers I have pulled.

Down side of some fifth wheels is they now limit what you can haul in your bed do to the 5th wheel hitch frame.

What ever you do for that size load make sure the trailer has working brakes.

Roy

I have to agree with Roy. Bumper/ball towing, while cheapest, poses the most risk to an inexperienced driver. A goose neck/fifth wheel set up allows you to transfer more weight to the truck's rear axle. It makes for a much smoother ride and easy handling. I occasionally pull a small tandem axle trailer on the bumper of a 1-ton dually and backing up is difficult when empty because you cannot see the trailer. They also make some pretty slick hide-away goose neck hitches, now. Allows you to use the bed of your truck normally. No big 5th wheel.

Kevin

/ Load in Truck vs Load on Trailer #10  
A goose neck/fifth wheel set up allows you to transfer more weight to the truck's rear axle. Kevin

It will actually put less weight on the rear and put weight on the front axle.