RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #11  
No need Egon, you can just alter the speed which you drive through them. To me they all looked good except the Toyota. To really put them to shame the new IRS Dodge could be run through to show how much more rear tire contact it maintains. Doesn't make it the best truck though...

The YouTube video is interesting. I'm wondering if some other young smart engineers could revise the bump spacing to make the other trucks look good??:thumbsup:

Want good mileage with a diesel just look around for a 12 valve second generation Ram 2500.:thumbsup:

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #12  
maybee some spring stiffeners or air bags. i think i might even be interested in a half ton diesel as a daily driver...

dodge trucks are my next favorite compaired to ford..

soundguy

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #13  
Too bad the manufactures have a HP war.

I, IMHO, think a 1/2 ton with lower power but greater mileage would be great. At the least, a big-block vs small block... A small block diesel, 225hp or so, 30+mpg.

My '01 Dodge is stock except BHAF and 4" exhaust. That 235hp Cummins has no problems pulling my mid size 5th wheel, or my flatbed loded with a tractor of firewood. Now imagine a "1/2 ton" that weighs 2000lbs less than my 3/4 ton. That would be a nice setup...

From what I have seen here, and read over the years, a lot of other countries(outside US) use diesels, but are not in a HP war for 400hp 1000ftlb motors. And in Europe, they have as good of emission standards...

Although the EPA certianly plays a part, Americans do too with the desire for those 400hp 1000ftlb.

It is hard to imagine, that the current crop of 3/4 tons and 1 tons, are making HP in the range of the classic "Muscle Cars". We're looking at power almost equivilant to showroom 426 Hemi Chargers, 440-6pack Roadrunners, LS6 Chevelles, and 427 Torino's. And with simple mods, some of the trucks can easily run 11 and 12 second 1/4 miles with those cars.

If the EPA would take its ugly paws out of the diesel emission standards for diesel engines, Cummins could easily produce engines with all the torque and hp we, the consumer, could ever want and with 25+ mpg to boot

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #14  
you can just alter the speed which you drive through them.

Makes sense!:D

Harmonics are well beyond my intellectual ability.:eek:

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #15  
I'd say we are in a middle ground, diesel emissions were left alone 30 years longer than gas. Diesels with urea treatment burn really quite clean and have almost no emission components on the motor.

Europe regulates diesel emissions differently, not the same focus on NOx. NOx causes smog though and is a bigger concern in dense cities. European cites have much less private vehicles inside the city.

Hp sells, simple as that. It's interesting that we regulate everything else except size and hp.

So how about a middle ground? Why is it the options presented by folks are always the present or the Model T era?

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #16  
They did freeze for periods of time, allowing tech to develop to clean up diesels. Their popularity in light trucks has grown though so a small problem of a few diesels has become a much bigger fleet of diesels. If diesels were getting less popular they would probably let it slide.

The automakers are always arguing to postpone emissions targets vs environmental/health groups pushing for harder targets.

I like diesels, love their simplicity etc, but the fact is they make a lot of NOx that makes smog, the old high sulfur fuel used to make a lot of SOx which makes acid rain, and they make soot. Even when you don't see soot, they make soot, which contributes to causing lung cancers and a whole bunch of other stuff.

The companies that went with DEF have simple basic emissions controls, and have very clean exhaust. This tech would have never been developed if the emissions targets weren't there.

I think you're missing my point. The clean air nuts always seem to compare the current regulations to a totally uncontrolled engine. Would we be in that bad of a situation if we were to freeze regulations at a 1990, 1995, 2000 or 2005 level?

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #17  
Slowzuki,
Don't completely agree. The pre 2007 emissions were cleaning up the air. The costs incurred with the 2011 emissions are getting out of hand, mainly on costs and weight issues. I run a big rig, our mileage has been dropping with each round of new emissions.

I'm seeing alot of woods contractors leaving the diesel market and going with big liter gas engine powered pickups. Due to increased costs and lower fuel mileage. Add on that diesel is more per gallon than gas.

yes we needed to clean up the air, but...........

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #18  
Slowzuki,
Don't completely agree. The pre 2007 emissions were cleaning up the air. The costs incurred with the 2011 emissions are getting out of hand, mainly on costs and weight issues. I run a big rig, our mileage has been dropping with each round of new emissions.

I'm seeing alot of woods contractors leaving the diesel market and going with big liter gas engine powered pickups. Due to increased costs and lower fuel mileage. Add on that diesel is more per gallon than gas.

yes we needed to clean up the air, but...........

Well now they are killing the big liter gas engine market also so what next? Its a no win situation.

Chris

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #19  
If the EPA would take its ugly paws out of the diesel emission standards for diesel engines, Cummins could easily produce engines with all the torque and hp we, the consumer, could ever want and with 25+ mpg to boot.
It is amazing, to reduce emissions, manufacturers have to increase displacement in order to give the consumer what they want. The result,,,, even lower fuel economy. I thought we were supposed to be reducing our consumption of fossil fuels. Another example of the unexpected consequences resultant from government controls.:confused2:

I totally agree, i wish the epa would/could butt out.. BUT we have also become more power hungry.. My dads Dodge/cummins 3500 has a 180ish hp engine.. my 2002 is 230 -and they have more power than the average person needs.. Todays engines are what +400ish

Brian

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #20  
When my 5.9 cummins goes. I'll be out of the diesel market. Not going to deal with all the smog crap