Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Default RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive

I said it before and I'll say it again, IF a light duty diesel comes to the US it will be in a RAM. Just give me a 10k lb tow capacity, 30 mpg unloaded, diesel longevity and torque, plus a smooth everyday driver ride and I'll sign the papers tomorrow.
    Chrysler CEO: Light-Duty Diesel Ram Pickup Feasible, but is There Demand?
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    Bobcat B200 TLB

Default Re: RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive

The Sprinter seems to be doing very well indeed and it is not exactly a cool sexy manly truck. That is what is needed, around 3.0L (half the size and weight of the competition) and high 20's for MPG. I don't think I would be towing 10k behind a Ram 1500, maybe 7k. Otherwise the suspension better be a heck of a lot better than my 04, which can barely stay in its lane with or without a load...

And all the emissions stuff for the sprinter is already in place. All that needs to be done is re-package it for the truck.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I think you are right Dmace. They seem to be the most diesel friendly company right now with the option in Jeeps, trucks, and vans. I still think the killer is going to be price. I am guessing $7,000 for the diesel option since 3/4 ton trucks and up are at the $9,000 price point. That now puts you in competition with the new 3.5L twin turbo Ford that has diesel like performance at $700 with 26 MPG with the test I have been reading while being able to pull 11,300#. Yes there is the cool factor and longevity but you are now in big truck price points with a diesel but if they can bridge that gap I am with you and would be very interested.

Chris

Tractor
    2014 John Deere X534

I want a truck, not a car, like the rear Ram 1500 coil springs
    Hours=(19.2)-2014 X534,bought May 29th,2 spinner knobs,brush guard,convert-a-ball front and rear,mulch kit,Gator blades,J/D 10P cart,4 suitcase weights,Brinly 24x36 poly lawn roller.Markcuda.com
    "if you like your healthcare,you can keep it"
    "if you like your doctor,you can keep them"

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
    I don't think I would be towing 10k behind a Ram 1500, maybe 7k. Otherwise the suspension better be a heck of a lot better than my 04, which can barely stay in its lane with or without a load...
    Sounds like it's time for some new shocks and tires, I've had 1 ton of pellets in the back of my 03 quad cab 4x4 plenty of times and pulled 9-10k lbs a couple of times with my 10k dump trailer. You know the weights back their but it drives straight as an arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot
    I am guessing $7,000 for the diesel option since 3/4 ton trucks and up are at the $9,000 price point. That now puts you in competition with the new 3.5L twin turbo Ford that has diesel like performance at $700 with 26 MPG with the test I have been reading while being able to pull 11,300#.
    The major difference is you will be hard pressed to get anything over 10-12 mpg with any kind of load in that turbo V6 vs. a small diesel that will still deliver over 20 mpg. I (like many truck owners) almost never drive my truck empty so unloaded fuel mileage means nothing. The diesel option in the Dodge and Ford trucks is just under $8k so I agree that a small diesel will add a good $5-6k but like any diesel truck, you will get that money back in resale value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markcuda View Post
    I want a truck, not a car, like the rear Ram 1500 coil springs
    Obviously, you've never driven one. They ride 10 times better than the older RAM 1500, F-150 and Silverado yet have around the same payload (1,900 lbs). Maybe they should have left leaf springs in the front suspension also or are coil spring front suspensions too "car like" for you as well...
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    2014 John Deere X534

If I want a car, I'll buy a Taurus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVU...eature=related
    Hours=(19.2)-2014 X534,bought May 29th,2 spinner knobs,brush guard,convert-a-ball front and rear,mulch kit,Gator blades,J/D 10P cart,4 suitcase weights,Brinly 24x36 poly lawn roller.Markcuda.com
    "if you like your healthcare,you can keep it"
    "if you like your doctor,you can keep them"

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Powerstar T4.75

If they put a light duty diesel in there and mated it with the current heavy duty transmission, then I would likely buy one as a second vehicle in a couple of years. My old 6.2 liter GM diesel would have been considered a light duty diesel by today's standards and the early 700R4's had problems with that engine too. I've expressed some of the issues that I have expereince with on the current CTD and auto transmission trucks, but I think that the current crop of transmissions that Dodge is using now with the 6.7 CTD would surely be adequate with an engine producing slightly over half the horespower and 60% of the torque. With regards to the coil sprung rear, if it works I don't care if they're coil or leaf springs. Especially if I was buying this half ton to keep along with my current 3/4 ton, I wouldn't need 10,000 pounds of towing capacity and frankly if I was towing anything heavier than my snowmobile trailer I'd likely use the 3/4 ton anyway. If I can get a truck that rides like a car, has a adequately powerful small diesel engine that gets 26 to 29 mpg on the highway unloaded, then sign me up. Heck I'm on record already as saying that I think the Dodge is the best looking truck on the market, if they get a drivetrain that I like to go with it, I'd own one.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

My toys:
    - 2013 New Holland Powerstar T4.75 cab tractor with FEL
    - Alamo SHD 88 Flail Mower
    - RAD Technologies Blizzard B94 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower
    - Bush Hog Squealer 60" (looking for an upgrade)
    - 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Z71 Duramax/Allison
    - 2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 Stealth
    - PJ 20+5 foot Gooseneck Deckover trailer

Tractor
    Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post

The major difference is you will be hard pressed to get anything over 10-12 mpg with any kind of load in that turbo V6 vs. a small diesel that will still deliver over 20 mpg. I (like many truck owners) almost never drive my truck empty so unloaded fuel mileage means nothing. The diesel option in the Dodge and Ford trucks is just under $8k so I agree that a small diesel will add a good $5-6k but like any diesel truck, you will get that money back in resale value.
    If the EPA would take its ugly paws out of the diesel emission standards for diesel engines, Cummins could easily produce engines with all the torque and hp we, the consumer, could ever want and with 25+ mpg to boot.
    It is amazing, to reduce emissions, manufacturers have to increase displacement in order to give the consumer what they want. The result,,,, even lower fuel economy. I thought we were supposed to be reducing our consumption of fossil fuels. Another example of the unexpected consequences resultant from government controls.

The YouTube video is interesting. I'm wondering if some other young smart engineers could revise the bump spacing to make the other trucks look good??

Want good mileage with a diesel just look around for a 12 valve second generation Ram 2500.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455

Yeah, take a trip to an unregulated country with lots of diesels and take a breath of that nice cough cough cough... Without regs diesels here would be the same smelly smoky garbage 3rd world countries drive.

Quote Originally Posted by weldingisfun View Post
    If the EPA would take its ugly paws out of the diesel emission standards for diesel engines, Cummins could easily produce engines with all the torque and hp we, the consumer, could ever want and with 25+ mpg to boot.
    It is amazing, to reduce emissions, manufacturers have to increase displacement in order to give the consumer what they want. The result,,,, even lower fuel economy. I thought we were supposed to be reducing our consumption of fossil fuels. Another example of the unexpected consequences resultant from government controls.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast