RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #1  

Dmace

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20 HST
   / RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #2  
The Sprinter seems to be doing very well indeed and it is not exactly a cool sexy manly truck. That is what is needed, around 3.0L (half the size and weight of the competition) and high 20's for MPG. I don't think I would be towing 10k behind a Ram 1500, maybe 7k. Otherwise the suspension better be a heck of a lot better than my 04, which can barely stay in its lane with or without a load...

And all the emissions stuff for the sprinter is already in place. All that needs to be done is re-package it for the truck.

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #3  
I think you are right Dmace. They seem to be the most diesel friendly company right now with the option in Jeeps, trucks, and vans. I still think the killer is going to be price. I am guessing $7,000 for the diesel option since 3/4 ton trucks and up are at the $9,000 price point. That now puts you in competition with the new 3.5L twin turbo Ford that has diesel like performance at $700 with 26 MPG with the test I have been reading while being able to pull 11,300#. Yes there is the cool factor and longevity but you are now in big truck price points with a diesel but if they can bridge that gap I am with you and would be very interested.

Chris

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #4  
I want a truck, not a car, like the rear Ram 1500 coil springs:thumbdown:

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive
I don't think I would be towing 10k behind a Ram 1500, maybe 7k. Otherwise the suspension better be a heck of a lot better than my 04, which can barely stay in its lane with or without a load...
Sounds like it's time for some new shocks and tires, I've had 1 ton of pellets in the back of my 03 quad cab 4x4 plenty of times and pulled 9-10k lbs a couple of times with my 10k dump trailer. You know the weights back their but it drives straight as an arrow.

Diamondpilot said:
I am guessing $7,000 for the diesel option since 3/4 ton trucks and up are at the $9,000 price point. That now puts you in competition with the new 3.5L twin turbo Ford that has diesel like performance at $700 with 26 MPG with the test I have been reading while being able to pull 11,300#.
The major difference is you will be hard pressed to get anything over 10-12 mpg with any kind of load in that turbo V6 vs. a small diesel that will still deliver over 20 mpg. I (like many truck owners) almost never drive my truck empty so unloaded fuel mileage means nothing. The diesel option in the Dodge and Ford trucks is just under $8k so I agree that a small diesel will add a good $5-6k but like any diesel truck, you will get that money back in resale value.
I want a truck, not a car, like the rear Ram 1500 coil springs:thumbdown:
Obviously, you've never driven one. They ride 10 times better than the older RAM 1500, F-150 and Silverado yet have around the same payload (1,900 lbs). Maybe they should have left leaf springs in the front suspension also or are coil spring front suspensions too "car like" for you as well...:rolleyes:

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #7  
If they put a light duty diesel in there and mated it with the current heavy duty transmission, then I would likely buy one as a second vehicle in a couple of years. My old 6.2 liter GM diesel would have been considered a light duty diesel by today's standards and the early 700R4's had problems with that engine too. I've expressed some of the issues that I have expereince with on the current CTD and auto transmission trucks, but I think that the current crop of transmissions that Dodge is using now with the 6.7 CTD would surely be adequate with an engine producing slightly over half the horespower and 60% of the torque. With regards to the coil sprung rear, if it works I don't care if they're coil or leaf springs. Especially if I was buying this half ton to keep along with my current 3/4 ton, I wouldn't need 10,000 pounds of towing capacity and frankly if I was towing anything heavier than my snowmobile trailer I'd likely use the 3/4 ton anyway. If I can get a truck that rides like a car, has a adequately powerful small diesel engine that gets 26 to 29 mpg on the highway unloaded, then sign me up. Heck I'm on record already as saying that I think the Dodge is the best looking truck on the market, if they get a drivetrain that I like to go with it, I'd own one.

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #8  
The major difference is you will be hard pressed to get anything over 10-12 mpg with any kind of load in that turbo V6 vs. a small diesel that will still deliver over 20 mpg. I (like many truck owners) almost never drive my truck empty so unloaded fuel mileage means nothing. The diesel option in the Dodge and Ford trucks is just under $8k so I agree that a small diesel will add a good $5-6k but like any diesel truck, you will get that money back in resale value.

If the EPA would take its ugly paws out of the diesel emission standards for diesel engines, Cummins could easily produce engines with all the torque and hp we, the consumer, could ever want and with 25+ mpg to boot.
It is amazing, to reduce emissions, manufacturers have to increase displacement in order to give the consumer what they want. The result,,,, even lower fuel economy. I thought we were supposed to be reducing our consumption of fossil fuels. Another example of the unexpected consequences resultant from government controls.:confused2:

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #9  
The YouTube video is interesting. I'm wondering if some other young smart engineers could revise the bump spacing to make the other trucks look good??:thumbsup:

Want good mileage with a diesel just look around for a 12 valve second generation Ram 2500.:thumbsup:

/ RAM 1500 Diesel option still alive #10  
Yeah, take a trip to an unregulated country with lots of diesels and take a breath of that nice cough cough cough... Without regs diesels here would be the same smelly smoky garbage 3rd world countries drive.

If the EPA would take its ugly paws out of the diesel emission standards for diesel engines, Cummins could easily produce engines with all the torque and hp we, the consumer, could ever want and with 25+ mpg to boot.
It is amazing, to reduce emissions, manufacturers have to increase displacement in order to give the consumer what they want. The result,,,, even lower fuel economy. I thought we were supposed to be reducing our consumption of fossil fuels. Another example of the unexpected consequences resultant from government controls.:confused2: