New Texas trailer rules

/ New Texas trailer rules #11  
Well, I don't like it, but it is good to know these things. I'm always using my trailer for things other than hauling my tractor. Maybe I'll go ahead and get utility tags too. Would be cheaper than several tickets.

/ New Texas trailer rules #12  
Yeah, it's alot easier to just ticket some poor smuck who had to use his 'farm trailer' to move his kids furniture from the dorm room at A&M back to the house because he can't afford the rent anymore than it is to work a case on some stolen cattle, farm equipment, house burglary or any other real crime and besides the ticket writing leaves more time to belly up to the burger bar down at the DQ and talk about how hard it was out there on the road today.

/ New Texas trailer rules #13  
If someone could explain to me why I need to cross the chains on my trailer that would be great.:confused:

/ New Texas trailer rules #14  
If someone could explain to me why I need to cross the chains on my trailer that would be great.:confused:

It is so that if the trailer comes off of the ball it is "cradled" by the chains and the nose or jack doesn't dig into the road (ripping the trailer off of the chains).
IIRC, it may also help with side to side control to keep the trailer pulling straight.

Aaron Z

/ New Texas trailer rules #15  
Crossing the chains works -- 'tested' that theory with wife's horse trailer on its maiden voyage. And I am still married (cost me dinner and a lot of sorry's).

/ New Texas trailer rules #16  
   / New Texas trailer rules #17  
Wow I thought crossing the chains was just good habit not a law.

I always do cross the chains, it seems to help with the right amount of slack issue, not long enough to drag but long enough not to bind in tight jack knife manuevers. Maybe that's it, by crossing the chains it allows the least amount of slack needed?

I know it's supossed to help cradle the tounge in the event of an unhitching, but if the chains are short enough to prevent the tongue from contacting the road then then how would crossing help? Might limit the side to side movement if unhitched I guess.

Just thinking out loud.

JB.

/ New Texas trailer rules #18  
If you need to take up slack in the safety chains twist them.

Chris

/ New Texas trailer rules #19  
I know it's supossed to help cradle the tounge in the event of an unhitching, but if the chains are short enough to prevent the tongue from contacting the road then then how would crossing help? Might limit the side to side movement if unhitched I guess.
Try it on a trailer and you will see. Crossing them lets you have more slack to maneuver without dropping the enough that the hitch digs in if you have a loose trailer.

Aaron Z

/ New Texas trailer rules #20  
I'm betting PoorManScat hasn't a clue WHY the chains must be crossed.
Not crossed is only a hair better than having none at all...

Actually, I know exactly why chains should be crossed, and on some trailers, I do cross them. Not sure about anybody elses trailer, but my factory built 18ft. bumper pull trailer has the safety chains attached at a common point, so how does it increase safety by crossing them? I think its completely retarded that we have local officers hanging around writing tickets for such stuff.
My point is, aren't there more important issues to deal with? I understand that if a trailer that comes loose and the chains don't catch it, its basically an unguided missle.
Usually, I worry more about the crap that people haul ON the trailer falling off.
I agree, if chains are missing or not connected, write them a ticket. How about the idiots pulling a broken vehicle with a chain? Talk about a safety hazard! I've actually witnessed a small FWD car pulling a full size pickup down a local INTERSTATE right by a law enforcement officer!!!!... Nothing happened!