Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Default Re: New Texas trailer rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
    As more states have serious budget issues they will demand the LEO's earn their keep and that of their wheels. It can be both good and bad I guess depending on one's point of view.

Trailer tags are coming our way some day because they are starting to register trailers.
    Most states use fines and other costs imposed by the Courts for traffic tickets and infractions to pay to maintain the Courts and pay educational costs, salaries, bonuses, structural building and maintenance, etc. generated by local Schools, Community Colleges and State colleges. Some State痴 contribute a couple of dollars per ticket to the State痴 Law Enforcement Retirement Fund. The LEO痴 salary is paid from State General or City General Funds no ticket revenue is used. Years ago some states had 擢ee Based Constables? Now if one of these gentlemen stopped you and accused you of violating a traffic law or ordinance he/she would take you too a local Justice of The Peace to insure he/she received there money. Most of us who have been in the military have fond memories of being stationed in a state with 擢ee Based Constables? So when you see an Officer out writing a ticket, in all likelihood if he/she is found guilty of what they are being accused of, someone in the educational system is going to have there salary supplemented by the fines and penalties imposed.

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by tthopskin@yahoo.ca View Post
    your quote is not good the guy was just trying to help and you put this up

I understand how you could miscontrue that.

You may have missed where he posted in another thread about driving through parking lots lookoing for trucks with farm tags and gave the impression of lying in wait to write a ticket to the driver

When called on it he back tracked and said he only did it once and it was a warning, just pointing out the law sorta thing.

I'm just wondering if he actually does patrol parking lots looking for disconnected wiring harnesses like he said he patrolled parking lots looking for farm tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyco View Post
    Sounds like the right thing for them to do
    I'm sick of all the idiots on the road pulling trailers putting everyones life at risk, just now on the way home I passed a pickup pulling a trailer with a mini-ex just parked on the trailer....no tie downs at all. Unbelievebly I see that often
    Amen to that............

Tractor
    2014 John Deere X534

I say if a idiot is pulled over and no lights even plugged in, automatic 5 days in jail.
    Hours=(6.1)-2014 X534,bought May 29th,2 spinner knobs,brush guard,convert-a-ball front and rear,mulch kit,Gator blades,J/D 10P cart,4 suitcase weights,Brinly 24x36 poly lawn roller.Markcuda.com
    "if you like your healthcare,you can keep it"
    "if you like your doctor,you can keep them"

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Markcuda View Post
    I say if a idiot is pulled over and no lights even plugged in, automatic 5 days in jail.
    Heck yeah, confiscate their truck, trailer and all contents, too.

And, step up those parking lot patrols too!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by triplemoutdoors View Post
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CVE-13.pdf

See page 18 for farm trailer registration and page 31 for safety chains.
    Interesting reading.. 30 mph max if loaded over 4500 lbs?
    Kubota L4400 GST

Tractor
    JD

What about cattle trailers?

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

Quote Originally Posted by PoorMansCat View Post
    Interesting reading.. 30 mph max if loaded over 4500 lbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAdam1 View Post
    What about cattle trailers?
    This only concerns requirements for when brakes are required.

Brakes (TRC 547.401)

A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or combination of those vehicles shall be equipped with brakes.

A trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer is not required to have brakes if:
    (1) its gross weight is 4,500 pounds or less; or
    (2) its gross weight is heavier than 4,500 pounds but not heavier than 15,000 pounds, and it is drawn at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour.
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1947 Ford 2N and 2003 Kubota B7500

The two safety chains will be of equal length, long enough to permit free turning of the vehicles without placing stress on the chains, and attached to the towing vehicle equidistant right and left of the point at which the vehicles are connected. They must be of appropriate length to allow for them to be crossed under the tongue, or connecting apparatus, of the towed vehicle in such a manner that they would prevent it from coming into contact with the road surface should the vehicles become detached. In no event will the safety chains be allowed to contact the road surface during movement of the vehicles.
    But, it doesn't say they must be crossed, only that they must be long enough to be crossed.
    -=Mark=- 03 Kubota B7500, 47 Ford 2N

Tractor
    Kubota B2410

I am ALL FOR the "new" regulations because I am not one to expliot a loophole and don't particularly care for those that do, especially when it comes to safety of myself and especially innocent others.

I have been towing things for about 40 years, to this day, I have NEVER seen a situation where you could not cross the chains because it caused binding. Now, it is possible if the mounting points for the truck and trainer sides of the chains are totally fouled up relative to ecah other, but generally crossed chains are tightest while straight ahead.

You should NEVER "twist" chains and if you are hauling some hazardous loads the scale officers will take a really hard look at you if your binder chains have even a 1/2 twist in them.

The biggest problem I see with chains is that they are almost always too long and often too small with no easy way to shorten them so they can be securely and correctly attached.

Since our "Farm Truck" is about the only vehicle that pulls our "Farm Trailer", it really will not matter at all to us, we'd get a ticket either way if breaking the law.
    JohnG
    We have Democracy, but were founded on Liberty.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790).

I am for LIBERTY!

I Support electric trailer brakes on EVERY axle over the towing vehicle's GVW, CDLs for RVers and safety inspections on ALL licensed vehicles!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345