New Texas trailer rules

/ New Texas trailer rules #1  

ChevyHDGert

My dad was telling me that starting soon or maybe it has already started, the state and TxDOT are going to ticket anyone pulling a trailer with farm plates without actually hauling farm equipment. Also, the farm trailer you're pulling must be registered in your name. So no more borrowing farm trailers.

My dad is in the process of changing his farm trailer to a utility trailer to avoid all this mess but he has to get the trailer weighed and all this other paperwork mess. Apparently with utility trailer plates, you can haul whatever you want and borrow it to whoever.

Just FYI

/ New Texas trailer rules #2  
My dad was telling me that starting soon or maybe it has already started, the state and TxDOT are going to ticket anyone pulling a trailer with farm plates without actually hauling farm equipment. Also, the farm trailer you're pulling must be registered in your name. So no more borrowing farm trailers.

My dad is in the process of changing his farm trailer to a utility trailer to avoid all this mess but he has to get the trailer weighed and all this other paperwork mess. Apparently with utility trailer plates, you can haul whatever you want and borrow it to whoever.

Just FYI

As long as your useing the trailer for farm use they cant give you a ticket. If your pulling your trailer from one piece of property to another you might not have any equipment on the trailer or maybe just unloaded alot of hay and are going after another load. They are getting harder on the ones who have farm tags and dont use them acordingly, like hauling 4wheelers to the mud fest. Im not gona sweat it.:thumbsup:

/ New Texas trailer rules #3  
As long as your useing the trailer for farm use they cant give you a ticket. If your pulling your trailer from one piece of property to another you might not have any equipment on the trailer or maybe just unloaded alot of hay and are going after another load. They are getting harder on the ones who have farm tags and dont use them acordingly, like hauling 4wheelers to the mud fest. Im not gona sweat it.:thumbsup:

Crap.. good thing I got rid of all my 4 wheelers.. hahaha.. We got some FNG patrol officiers around here pulling people over and trying to write them a ticket for the safety chains not being crossed under the hitch.. !!!!! Also been trying to write tickets for 16ft utility trailers with farm plates not having an INSPECTION sticker!!. Good luck with that one!

/ New Texas trailer rules #4  
We got some FNG patrol officiers around here pulling people over and trying to write them a ticket for the safety chains not being crossed under the hitch.. !!!!!

Sounds like the right thing for them to do:confused:
I'm sick of all the idiots on the road pulling trailers putting everyones life at risk, just now on the way home I passed a pickup pulling a trailer with a mini-ex just parked on the trailer....no tie downs at all. Unbelievebly I see that often:confused2:

/ New Texas trailer rules #5  
Sounds like the right thing for them to do:confused:
I'm sick of all the idiots on the road pulling trailers putting everyones life at risk, just now on the way home I passed a pickup pulling a trailer with a mini-ex just parked on the trailer....no tie downs at all. Unbelievebly I see that often:confused2:

I think that if the trailer didnt have safety chains, or they weren't hooked up, that would be a safety issue. But really, pulling a guy over while he's on his way home from Lowes with 8 2x4's and writing a ticket for the chains not being crossed is a slightly STUPID. Would make more sense to , i dont know, maybe pull idiot over for running down Interstate looking down at their precious text messages on the phone?? Talk about dangerous, THATS DANGEROUS!!!

/ New Texas trailer rules #6  
I think that if the trailer didnt have safety chains, or they weren't hooked up, that would be a safety issue. But really, pulling a guy over while he's on his way home from Lowes with 8 2x4's and writing a ticket for the chains not being crossed is a slightly STUPID. Would make more sense to , i dont know, maybe pull idiot over for running down Interstate looking down at their precious text messages on the phone?? Talk about dangerous, THATS DANGEROUS!!!

I agree that texting is dangerous. But instead of thinking the officer was stupid for writing a ticket for an unsafe trailer, maybe you'd have a different opinion if you'd seen someone killed by a trailer that came loose, as I have. You might want to stop and think a minute before you call someone stupid.

/ New Texas trailer rules #7  
I think doing either should cost you money, particularly, not having crossed chains with a BP trailer. I don't know that it would make much difference with a gooseneck but I look at it this way, Having the chains makes sense, if the law requires the chains to be crossed, what is the big deal? "Stuff" happens, it may just be your loved one that gets hurt or worse because of some jerk.

Okay, let me tell you how I really feel. If you are caught texting, you loose your phone. If you are caught with improper equipment, it's going to cost. If you are caught with unsafe equipment, your rag wagon should have to be repaired or towed from the spot.

/ New Texas trailer rules #8  
I'm betting PoorManScat hasn't a clue WHY the chains must be crossed.
Not crossed is only a hair better than having none at all...

/ New Texas trailer rules #9  
Okay, let me tell you how I really feel. If you are caught texting, you loose your phone.
Thats it????????????
Really??????????????

/ New Texas trailer rules #10  
As more states have serious budget issues they will demand the LEO's earn their keep and that of their wheels. It can be both good and bad I guess depending on one's point of view.

Trailer tags are coming our way some day because they are starting to register trailers.