Price check on 16' aluminum trailer

/ Price check on 16' aluminum trailer #1  

archerynut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Looking again
Came across a Aluma LTD 16' trailer on Craigs list. Asking price is $3500. Seeing what opinions of the price and trailer are. I believe that it is rated at 7,000 pounds, dual 3500# axles, ramp on rear, title in hand, claimed to be well maintained. I am thinking of trailering a new Kubota B3200 with it, claimed weight of the trailer is only 1200# (I dont quite believe that). I dont know if I care for the ramp myself, looks like a big gas sucking wind blocking ramp to me. Tires were new last year DSCF0648.JPG

/ Price check on 16' aluminum trailer #2  
You will hate that ramp. Fuel sucking is the exact word. I have a expanded steel ramp on a small utility trailer, and it pulls SOOOO hard the faster you go, its all the wind.

/ Price check on 16' aluminum trailer #3  
That price is OK...A new one can be had for around 4700. I don't doubt the 1200lb weight, these are very light. That's the advantage.

As far as the gate, it depends on what you are doing. Personally I prefer them over ramps. But then again, I only tow in a 25 mile radius so mileage isn't all that important to me.

The steel trailer that I am looking at now has a full HD split gate, that's probably the route I will go. Nice for using dollies and other things to get things on the trailer beyond equipment. Other advatage is that you really don't have to worry about lining up the tires, just drive on and off.

Last edited:
   / Price check on 16' aluminum trailer #4  
Thats a beautiful trailer. Don't know if I would call it a bargain. Fair at best, at least in my area. I wouldn't be concerned about wind resistance, they are open ramps. It's not like your pulling a solid piece of metal behind you. You said you are trailering a B3200. Is it going to have a loader and backhoe attached. I ask this because I recently purchased a B26, which is basically the same size tractor, and I am JUST able to balance the load on an 18' trailer. I was looking to get a 16' myself, but now I am happy I didn't. Just something to think about.

/ Price check on 16' aluminum trailer #5  
claimed weight of the trailer is only 1200# (I dont quite believe that). View attachment 197297

I am looking at last years brochure. It looks like a model 7816 which weighs 1050 pounds. I supose it could be a model 8216, they weigh 1280 pounds.

Anyway, if it has good tires on it, buy it. It will last for ever.

I bought one last year and love it.

/ Price check on 16' aluminum trailer #6  
Thats a beautiful trailer. Don't know if I would call it a bargain. Fair at best, at least in my area. I wouldn't be concerned about wind resistance, they are open ramps. It's not like your pulling a solid piece of metal behind you.

I have a degree in aerospace and I can tell you this is the biggest misunderstanding out there. A mesh gate like the ones you see on the common landscape trailer has more drag than a piece of sold material the same size. Just like on a airplane the relatively thin blades of a propeller have more drag than a solid round disc.

The reason is on a gate like the one pictured or a mesh gate commonly found on landscape trailers there are many edges for the air to flow around and cause wake vorticity. Where as a sold surface the same size only has the 4 sides. Its hard to explain but think of a canoe versus a standard row boat. Say each one weighed the same and had 2 equal men rowing them. Lets say each gave 10 strokes then quit. The row boat would have a big wake vorticity behind its blunt rear while the canoe having a streamline rear would have virtually none.

Same thing goes with pulling a camper or box trailer down the road. Most people think the drag comes from the front but that is not true. It comes from the back side.

Chris

/ Price check on 16' aluminum trailer
I am looking at last years brochure. It looks like a model 7816 which weighs 1050 pounds. I supose it could be a model 8216, they weigh 1280 pounds.

It is a year 2000 model 7816

Thats a beautiful trailer. Don't know if I would call it a bargain. Fair at best, at least in my area. I wouldn't be concerned about wind resistance, they are open ramps. It's not like your pulling a solid piece of metal behind you. You said you are trailering a B3200. Is it going to have a loader and backhoe attached. I ask this because I recently purchased a B26, which is basically the same size tractor, and I am JUST able to balance the load on an 18' trailer. I was looking to get a 16' myself, but now I am happy I didn't. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the info, I think I am going towards a 18' car hauler with removable ramps. If I can find a used trailer in aluminum I think it would be the jackpot for the right price.

And I suppose the Kubota isn't going to offer any wind resistance? Buy a heavy rusty steel trailer with the ramp you want!

I think by what Diamondpilot has posted that the Kubota should have less drag than the ramp because of the greater wake vorticity that the ramp and its many surfaces would cause.

/ Price check on 16' aluminum trailer #10  
I have a degree in aerospace and I can tell you this is the biggest misunderstanding out there. A mesh gate like the ones you see on the common landscape trailer has more drag than a piece of sold material the same size. Just like on a airplane the relatively thin blades of a propeller have more drag than a solid round disc.

The reason is on a gate like the one pictured or a mesh gate commonly found on landscape trailers there are many edges for the air to flow around and cause wake vorticity. Where as a sold surface the same size only has the 4 sides. Its hard to explain but think of a canoe versus a standard row boat. Say each one weighed the same and had 2 equal men rowing them. Lets say each gave 10 strokes then quit. The row boat would have a big wake vorticity behind its blunt rear while the canoe having a streamline rear would have virtually none.

Same thing goes with pulling a camper or box trailer down the road. Most people think the drag comes from the front but that is not true. It comes from the back side.

Chris

I'm having a tough time with this one. If you were jumping out of an airplane, would you rather have a parachute made out of mesh fabric or solid fabric? Seems to me that the solid fabric would provide alot more drag.......