GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs?

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
A few years ago they went from a 5 to a 3 leaf rear spring system. Based on experience this was a bad idea; nearly everyone I know has replaced their suspension. The problem isn't too much payload; what breks them is the "release" after going over a pothole. 2 years ago I had the springs replaced in my '07; (not under warrantee, but the dealer came good on it anyways) I just noticed that my '09 now has 2 broken springs.

Extra leafs is a band-aid approach. You can acheive the same results bolting a 2x4 between the frame and the axle during pothole season; either way you're just transferring the force someplace else. If this isn't warranteed I'll be replacing them with a 5 leaf system, but with lighter springs.

Just curious about other owner's experience.

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #2  
I've had tons of GM trucks of all vintages and never experienced this or even heard of it. All of mine were and are 1/2 tons. No one I know has experienced this either.

What kind of pothole causes this? Just curious.

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #3  
Any chance you have blocks? Blocks let potholes put a real hurt on leaf springs, especially when braking through one.

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #4  
I have only seen one GM truck with a broken leaf spring. Not sure what caused it but always thought it was from overloading???? Now I am wondering.

Chris

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #5  
I have a '99 1500. I installed a set of springs from a 2500HD a couple of years back. My springs weren't broken nor were the sagging, but they just didn't hold the weight like they did before. Apparently 3200 lbs. in the bed of a half ton is bad on them.:ashamed: or towing 13,000 lbs.:ashamed:. But they were still doing OK until we bought the new camper. It is a 36' Jayco 32 BHDS. 8k as shipped from the factory. Truck did OK, but a little more bounce/sway than we wanted. Had planned to buy a new truck rather quick, but finances didn't allow it. Found the springs on another website for $150 and drove to WV to get them. Installed them and haven't had any more issues towing the camper. Still waiting to get my new GMC w/ Duramax and Allison.

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #6  
I've broken leaf springs, but I'm also guilty of completely filling a long bed 1/2 ton pickup with all the firewood that will fit in it. Depending on the type of wood, that can be getting close to over loading a 1 ton pickup, so I can't blame the GM pickup.

I do own one less GM product now; my Impala is gone. I will admit that I'm very pleased with it's crash protection for my daughter. She apparently didn't notice that red sign that said "Stop" on it crossing a 2 lane country road and had a Ford Expedition drill her in the passenger side door. Nobody was hurt, but both vehicles were toast. No more worries from me about GM taking multiple shortcuts in building the Impala that irritated me so much. No leaf springs on it to break, so can't even complain about one breaking on it. ;)

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #7  
I have a 2002 GMC 1/2 ton with 100,000 miles, as far as I know, no problems, but I've only owned the truck a little less than a year.

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #8  
I have had several broken leaves over the years on all kinds of vehicles. My 94 ranger, my 60 intrational dump truck, ford 1/2 ton. 52 chevy p.u., numerous cars. Every part has a life cycle. Springs are cycled just like anything else, thing is, steel changes(seems bean counters are always looking to save a 1/2 penny).Pothole infested areas would certainly be harder on everything.I replaced the first broken leaves on my ranger at 200k and I abused that truck hauling wood, gravel,etc. For the record, I am not a big fan of less leaves in pick ups either. Also not sold on coils, want a real truck suspension, go leaves or air bag.Just my $0.02 worth.

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs?
I have only seen one GM truck with a broken leaf spring. Not sure what caused it but always thought it was from overloading???? Now I am wondering.

Chris

At last 6 people in my company have needed springs replaced in the last 2 years, all about this time of year. Driving up the road is like driving up a railraod track from all the frost heaves; 20-30 per mile, of varying intensity.

/ GM 1/2 ton truck owners; experiencing broken leaf springs? #10  
I have heard of a guy who had all the leaves break (probably the first two broke un-noticed) including the main leaf, sending the rear tire into the bedside. But that is only second hand information, and I have no idea how he uses his truck. It is a 2002 though, so its the 3 leaf style.

My 1/2 ton has the 3 leaves and has always had a sagging shape, even though the truck itself looks slightly tail high. The springs have a very slight flattened "W" shape to them with the axle in the center of the "W". I've though about replacing them, but they haven't gotten priority yet.