Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains....

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains.... #1  

jayste

Veteran Member
"Sold the 1/4 of a 1/4 but still tractorin' "
Tractor
2004 Kubota M4800 SU
I've had a set (2) of chains that an uncle gave me about 10 years ago. All this time I was thinking that they would fit my pickup tires. Well, after remembering I had them and needing them more and more in the last few years I thought I'd put them on my truck. I went to put them on prior to the last snow storm we had come through and guess what? Yep, the don't fit! So much for preparation. They lacked probably a foot and a half to being long enough to make the tires circumference. So the next day I get this really great idea and call around to get some that fit and there were none to be had in like a 5 state area! I guess I'm not the only one who wants chains for their vehicle. Now, my question. Who runs chains or cables or whatever and what's your experience with them?:confused:

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains.... #2  
Have run both. Experience would be they get me through the snow but I don't run them on the bare pavement.
The cables were the easiest to put on, not needing to lay down in the snow/slush.

Likely can go to a farm store and get extra side chain to splice in, and extra cross links to fill in the space to make a set of chains that fit your tire. Avoid having to find new ones that might be hard to find with all the snow you have been getting.

Posting some pics or two of the chains would help with additional ideas for you.

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains.... #3  
I like the top chain. I have a similar set for two vehicles (front and rear). Easy to put on (for a chain). Speed kills chain life, ~25 mph is reasonable for good chain life. Truck Tire Chains for Trucks and SUVs

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains.... #4  
I put diamond chains on all four wheels of my Jeep for the bad storms this winter. I'm the guy that has to be to work no matter what the weather is so i can plow the entrance road and parking lot. The chains are amazing. On icy unplowed roads at two in the morning it was like driving on dry pavement. I was actually disappointed when I had to drive on cleared roads. The chains were great when towing stuck vehicles out of the snowbanks.

I went romping around the yard in a foot of snow and didn't get stuck until I caught myself up on a drift where the vehicle's weight was on the snow under the jeep and the wheels weren't touching anything. I just got the Kubota with V-bar chains on the rears and with a little digging and pulling I was unstuck in 15 min. It was so much fun I went and got myself high centered again on purpose.

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains....
I like the top chain. I have a similar set for two vehicles (front and rear). Easy to put on (for a chain). Speed kills chain life, ~25 mph is reasonable for good chain life. Truck Tire Chains for Trucks and SUVs

Mine are very comparable to the V-Bar style in the link you supplied. I've considered adding to these like Beenthere suggested but in seems by adding this much to the end I will have a considerable amount of space that wouldn't have a crossover chain with V-Bar grip. If what I just said makes any sense....:eek:

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains.... #6  
problem is, we are getting more and more roads driven on and plowed/salted more often now so chains is not needed unless you go real far north or up the mountains on snowy roads.
I just don't see the need for chains anymore on vehicles. Just stay in during the snowstorm and it will be cleared the next day.

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains....
problem is, we are getting more and more roads driven on and plowed/salted more often now so chains is not needed unless you go real far north or up the mountains on snowy roads.
I just don't see the need for chains anymore on vehicles. Just stay in during the snowstorm and it will be cleared the next day.

That's usually what I do is to stay put until the county grader runs. Usually, they'll get by our place the day after or the next. In my case I've got a minimum of 5 miles to travel of county road and not all of those get graded. I've seen many cases where my pickup would get along better with better traction. Not just on county roads but secondary highways that get thick ice as well.

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains.... #8  
Mine are very comparable to the V-Bar style in the link you supplied. I've considered adding to these like Beenthere suggested but in seems by adding this much to the end I will have a considerable amount of space that wouldn't have a crossover chain with V-Bar grip. If what I just said makes any sense....:eek:

You will need to add the crossover chain to fill that space (just helps smooth out the ride).

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains.... #9  

Also make sure they're wide enough before going through too much effort.
I have a nice set of ice chains that I bought about 10 years ago; i'm thinking about doing the same thing to them.

/ Snow Chains, Snow Chains, Snow Chains.... #10  
I was born and raised in MT till Uncle Sam got me. I had tire chains for my truck back then that I made from a set of semi truck triple railers well I never got rid of them and hauled them all over the US (GA to AK and back). I used them once in AK. Well fastward to this year and now living in SC I thought I'd never use them again well towing a load of hay in and it was icy my 4x4 was just spining and not going up the hill, so I put those old chains on and went right up the hill.

I guess I'll keep hanging on to them who knows with climate change we have a ice-age next year. :laughing: