Vehicle assembly location

/ Vehicle assembly location #1  

davkir

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2305 W/CC & R4
I ran across this and thought it was interesting. I don't know if has been posted here previously.

VINs that start with one indicate the car was assembled in the U.S., two indicates Canada, three Mexico, and four anywhere else in the world. A vehicle's VIN is at the base of the windshield on the driver's side, as well as other places on the vehicle.

/ Vehicle assembly location #2  
I ran across this and thought it was interesting. I don't know if has been posted here previously.

VINs that start with one indicate the car was assembled in the U.S., two indicates Canada, three Mexico, and four anywhere else in the world. A vehicle's VIN is at the base of the windshield on the driver's side, as well as other places on the vehicle.

Good tip. There are also VIN decoders on the internet you can use to find out a bunch of info. Just do a google search for something like Honda Vin Decoder, ect.

Chris

/ Vehicle assembly location
There is an article in the new Car and Driver that I thought was very interesting.
It lists all of the North American assembly plants and the products they build, amount and percentage of domestic content.

As an example, since I'm now driving a Ram 1500, they are built in:
Saltillo, MX, amount = 118,000 and 70% domestic content
Warren, MI, amount = 178,000 and 70% domestic content

The article said that to qualify as a domestic product according to the government, it must have a domestic content by value of 75%.

Oddly enough, among the full size trucks, the Tundra was the the highest @ 80%!

/ Vehicle assembly location #5  
There is an article in the new Car and Driver that I thought was very interesting.
It lists all of the North American assembly plants and the products they build, amount and percentage of domestic content.

As an example, since I'm now driving a Ram 1500, they are built in:
Saltillo, MX, amount = 118,000 and 70% domestic content
Warren, MI, amount = 178,000 and 70% domestic content

The article said that to qualify as a domestic product according to the government, it must have a domestic content by value of 75%.

Oddly enough, among the full size trucks, the Tundra was the the highest @ 80%!
That was the way it was back about 4 years ago or so also. I was in the market for a 1/2 ton truck in 2007. Tundra led, F-150 was next, Titan was after that, Sierra/Silverado, then Dodge last.

Chris

/ Vehicle assembly location #6  
I learned this around the time I bought my fourth 1G3G... car, which indicates US built, GM, Oldsmobile, Cutlass, part of the "G body" family.