Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M9540 w/FEL

Default Towing up hills

Hello,
    Saturday I loaded up my kubota M8540 w/FEL and box blade onto my 22k gooseneck trailer that weighs (7300lb). Hooked to my old 89 Ford F350 that has a 7.3L IDI with aftermarket Banks turbo. Truck is in great shape wiht 99,000 miles on it. On flat rolling, the truck does ok. I can make about 45 mph in 4th gear comfortably. I started up a hill in 2nd gear and nearly didn't make it to the top. It dropped down to about 800 rpm and 10 mph at the top. She was lugging with all it had. This is not the first time I've noticed it just doesn't pull real well. I'm wondering if newer diesels would perform better.

I don't see any smoke and am wondering if I turned up the pump just a hair if it would gain a little horsepower that she definitely needs! Or if it would make that much difference?

Guess I'm a little disappointed with my truck and may have it overloaded for it's age???? Should I start shopping for a newer truck?

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

Default Re: Towing up hills

I took my 8N to the shop to get weights and a worklight added last week. Got it back yesterday. My 03 GMC pulls my trailer and tractor at 65 mph on cruise, may slow down to 60 on a hill and gets 15 mpg towing. Highway mileage without a load is 20-22 mpg. My 08 does not get as good on the highway, 16-18 mpg, but about the same towing. Towing it doesn't hardly slow down on a hill. Both are Duramax, the 03 has the 5 speed Allison and the 08 has the 6 speed Allison.
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Quote Originally Posted by Davidsan View Post
    Hello,
    Saturday I loaded up my kubota M8540 w/FEL and box blade onto my 22k gooseneck trailer that weighs (7300lb). Hooked to my old 89 Ford F350 that has a 7.3L IDI with aftermarket Banks turbo. Truck is in great shape wiht 99,000 miles on it. On flat rolling, the truck does ok. I can make about 45 mph in 4th gear comfortably. I started up a hill in 2nd gear and nearly didn't make it to the top. It dropped down to about 800 rpm and 10 mph at the top. She was lugging with all it had. This is not the first time I've noticed it just doesn't pull real well. I'm wondering if newer diesels would perform better.

I don't see any smoke and am wondering if I turned up the pump just a hair if it would gain a little horsepower that she definitely needs! Or if it would make that much difference?

Guess I'm a little disappointed with my truck and may have it overloaded for it's age???? Should I start shopping for a newer truck?
    I'm not sure what your problem is but, something is wrong. couldn't get over a hill at more than 10 mph is a hazard not an inconvienance. Engine needs to be analyzed.

Could make some wise crack about it being a FORD but I don't think it's that easy.

JB.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by JB4310 View Post
    I'm not sure what your problem is but, something is wrong. couldn't get over a hill at more than 10 mph is a hazard not an inconvienance. Engine needs to be analyzed.

Could make some wise crack about it being a FORD but I don't think it's that easy.

JB.

Why not?...DP would take that ball and run with it if the issue was with a DMAX.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Quote Originally Posted by timswi View Post
    Why not?...DP would take that ball and run with it if the issue was with a DMAX.

JB.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by timswi View Post
    Yup, then throw in a random rant about a Dodge rusting even though no one mentioned a Dodge truck.

On topic, are you sure the transmission was dropping down to 2nd gear? My old 94 F-350 diesel had that horrible E4OD 4 speed auto transmission and a couple of times it would get "hung up" in a high gear 3rd or 4th and not downshift when I needed it to. Sometimes I even noticed that it was starting off from a stop in 2nd gear and not downshifting to 1st. This transmission was the first electronically controlled automatic made by Ford and they were known for shifting problems.

If that's not the problem, then I would look to the turbo to make sure it's still in good shape (i.e. no shaft play or oil leak) and make sure it's building boost. If so then next is the fuel system and make sure you have a clean filter and good fuel pressure at the injectors.
    If you plan on towing more than a couple of times a year than I would. Even a newer half-ton truck will be light years better at towing that load than that old 1-ton. I towed my tractor/trailer (7500lbs +/-) with my F-350 non-turbo diesel dump truck and it was tough but no major problems. Once the transmission started acting up I figured I would try and tow it with my 03 RAM 1500 HEMI since it was within the manufacturers 8550lb tow limit. What a difference! I could actually hold 55-60 up these steep New England hills, braking was better (surge brakes on the trailer), the overall control was better and steering was lighter. I never again used the dump truck for towing and went straight for the RAM.
    So I would certainly look for a newer truck and don't think you need a 1-ton dually to tow 7300lbs, I would feel safe with up to 10k behind a newer half ton as long as it's setup right.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    JD455 & JD790

On flat rolling, the truck does ok. I can make about 45 mph in 4th gear comfortably. I started up a hill in 2nd gear and nearly didn't make it to the top. It dropped down to about 800 rpm and 10 mph at the top. She was lugging with all it had. This is not the first time I've noticed it just doesn't pull real well.
    The 4th gear at 45 mph doesn't sound quite right either. However, 800 rpm at 10 mph and lugging is a definite problem. Do you know which gear you were in at that time? I'm assuming that you have an automatic transmission, and I think you should be able to achieve a stall speed that would be about twice that figure. I suspect that you have a locking torque converter and it isn't unlocking. At 99K miles, you shouldn't need a new truck. Do you have 2WD or 4WD and do you know the axle ratio?
    JD 790 w/70 FEL & 7 BH on turf tires
    JD 455 w/60" MMM & 54" front blade

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HD-12 2010

Keep in mind an M8540 (ROPS) with FEL and bucket weights about 7,800 lbs. I am guessing the box blade weighs close to 1,000 lbs? (Don't know what size it is.) If the trailer really is 7,300 lbs empty, you are towing approximately 16,000 lbs. For a new F-350 this would not be a "big" problem, but you certainly would know it is back there. For an older truck, this could be a struggle.

Combination of factors: older truck, older truck possible not in best running condition, a lot of weight.
    Kubota M8540HD12-1 (2010), R4s with 3 Sets of Weights, 2 Remotes (SCD & FD), Rear Work Light and Down Exhaust
    Kubota LA1353 FEL with QA 72" Bucket, Self Leveling Valve and 3rd Function Remote
    CCM Category II Hydraulic Toplink with Flow Restrictors
    Kubota QA 48" Pallet Forks
    Kubota M8180 Ballast Box filled with concrete (1,800 lb)
    Land Pride QH-20 Quick Hitch
    Land Pride RCR2672 6' Rotary Cutter
    Land Pride GS2596 8' Grading Scraper
    BAC Industries BG-10 Post/Tree Puller

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455

The old IDI's didn't make a lot of power, the neighbours had a 6.9 and 7.3 both non-turbo. I can tell you on a hill with a 10,000 lb wagon behind, they didn't get out of 2nd gear much.

The turbo's helped them keep from smoking and added a bit of power but didn't transform them into a Powerstoke.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

I agree, you are towing at least 15,000 lbs, which may be to much for your older Ford on hills. What is it rated to tow?
    Dave,
    BX2350

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast