Transmission Flush

/ Transmission Flush #111  
I seem to recall the doughnut shaped magnets in my Ford as well. My GM has a strip.

Deerefan - my Ford also had a torque converter drain plug. I really liked that. I could take a big screw driver and pry the engine over until the TC drain was in the bellhousing hole, and drain a full 14 quarts out. I always changed it out every 30K miles along with the filter and only used Motorcraft fluid. Not kidding when I say that transmission was just like new when I traded that truck. If that truck had A/C and the small V-8, I would have never gotten rid of it.

/ Transmission Flush #112  
I really like the drain plug in the TC on my Fords but I have a feeling its a thing of the past. My guess is now that they are doing away with filters and installing drain plugs in the pans they will do away with the drain plug in the TC also.

Chris

/ Transmission Flush #113  
I seem to recall the doughnut shaped magnets in my Ford as well. My GM has a strip.

Deerefan - my Ford also had a torque converter drain plug. I really liked that. I could take a big screw driver and pry the engine over until the TC drain was in the bellhousing hole, and drain a full 14 quarts out. I always changed it out every 30K miles along with the filter and only used Motorcraft fluid. Not kidding when I say that transmission was just like new when I traded that truck. If that truck had A/C and the small V-8, I would have never gotten rid of it.

What year was that? I wonder if my 97 has it, did not look.

/ Transmission Flush #114  
What year was that? I wonder if my 97 has it, did not look.

This is the procedure with pictures on a 1998 F150 transmission. The magnet is pictured. Also read the procedure. On vehicles with a TC drain plug, draining it and the filter pan pretty much replaces the oil in your trans.

Also note what is said in conclusion. Having your trans power flushed without a filter change is like you taking a shower and putting your dirty clothes back on.

Well said.

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/transmission.php

Last edited:
   / Transmission Flush #115  
This is the procedure with pictures on a 1998 F150 transmission. The magnet is pictured. Also read the procedure. On vehicles with a TC drain plug, draining it and the filter pan pretty much replaces the oil in your trans.

Also note what is said in conclusion. Having your trans power flushed without a filter change is like you taking a shower and putting your dirty clothes back on.

Well said.

Ford F-150 AODE Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

That's only if you have a filter...Most new trucks don't..Those were the ones that I was referring to. I always changed the trans filters when they were so equipped.

/ Transmission Flush #116  
That's only if you have a filter...Most new trucks don't..Those were the ones that I was referring to. I always changed the trans filters when they were so equipped.

Yes, and if you reread my post carefully you will notice that my post was in reply to a question that deerfan posted about the magnet in a 1997 Ford truck. I posted the drain instructions with pictures of the magnet for a 1998 Ford truck as reference.
A well written article that was intended for what it was intended: deerefan's question. I was not referring to anything that you said.

/ Transmission Flush #117  

Well said.

Ford F-150 AODE Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Good stuff. I still do not recall seeing the magnet though. It seems it would have been pretty obvious. I do recall seeing the inspection cover for the tc. I will service this next, when I change the engine oil. I can only imagine how much the shop would charge for all this.

/ Transmission Flush #118  
deerefan,

My F150 was a 2001. Same style as yours. If I recall correctly, some trucks had a TC drain plug and some did not.

A word of warning, its a tapered plug with threads tapped directly into the torque converter housing. So its very easy to strip the threads. I never put thread locker or anything on it, but was always worried that it was either too tight or too loose.

/ Transmission Flush #119  
On that note...While peeking around corners at Disney, they have the biggest fleet of Chevy trucks I've ever seen:D...Sorry, couldn't help it...True though.

Well what do you expect from a Mickey Mouse operation?

Sorry, couldn't resist... :D