Do I need a bigger trailer?

/ Do I need a bigger trailer? #1  

Von

Veteran Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Here are a few photos of my B8200 on a 16 ft. trailer. The wheel of the rotery cutter hangs of the front and the rake is hanging off the back. I only have to go about 10 miles like so its not to bad. Plus both the rotory cutter and the rake stay here at my antique shop so the ride home is alot easier.

Von

/ Do I need a bigger trailer? #2  
Nice looking antique shop - beautiful building! What town?

Yes, you've got that trailer loaded to the "gunnels". Did you try putting the rake on the front of the trailer then the tractor on front ways and letting the loader rest on top of the rake?

Bill

/ Do I need a bigger trailer?
Bill,
With the way the rotory cutter hangs of the trailer the loader bucket hangs of the other end so this is the only way to do it. My shop is in a 4500 sq. ft. house that was built in 1838 in the town of Victor, NY.

/ Do I need a bigger trailer? #4  
Nice trailer! What is the GVWR? Are you exceeding that? The load is a little long for 16' which in itself doesn't present a huge problem. I would concern myself more with if the trailer is rated to carry that load as it looks to be pretty well bottomed out. Also the weight distribution could be a problem by having to load as you do. The tongue of a trailer should always have more load than the rear. There are many differing opinions, percentile wise, in the tongue weight issue though. How does it pull. Going only 10 miles if it doesn't wander side to side, and pulls OK, and you are on secondary roads (no interstate speeds please) you can probably get by. Nice place by the way!

/ Do I need a bigger trailer? #5  
Von, were you a bosn's mate in the Navy? Quite a job of rigging. How does the loaded rig track on the road?
Your rolling stock and home reflect the pride in quality you must possess.
Nice photo composition...
Keep that fine 'sheen laced down.....Chip
LazyK.gif

/ Do I need a bigger trailer?
McCallum,
The trailer is rated for 7000lbs. but the Jeep is only rated for 5000lbs. Total weight of trailer and tractor is 4500lbs. There is no sway at all and it tows very smooth. I go all back roads so top speed is 45mph at most.

Von

/ Do I need a bigger trailer? #7  
Von,
Looks like your almost max out far as lenght and weight. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

What I would do find a good welding shop,than have them beef up the suspension and add little more trailer deck to the rear end,and maybe better ply of tires.

I'm not sure I would go 45mph..but than again thats me. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Great looking home. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Do I need a bigger trailer? #8  
With only 10 miles to go, and I assume not everyday, you could certainly do it in two trips if need be...no sense buying a second trailer for that situation I would say...

/ Do I need a bigger trailer? #9  
Von,
Nice B8200! Looks just like mine /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I've thought about a newer, more powerful tractor, but that B8200 is built like a tank and really works /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

I use a similar trailer, but pull onto it forward. With the rotary mower on it, the tail wheel hangs off about a foot. I to behid my 3/4ton Ford on the freeway. It trailers like a dream!

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Do I need a bigger trailer? #10  
I've just started trailering my JD 955 with 5' rotary cutter. I bought a 16+2 beavertail with 7000 lbs GVWR. I loaded front forward and felt a little too heavy on the tongue. Maybe it was just lack of rear suspension on my 1/2 ton Ford F-150. The rear wheel was just resting on the tail. Next time I loaded it a couple feet further back. This made a long load and the rotary was no longer fully on the flat part of the trailer. I thought it lessened the load on the tongue, improving the feel of the ride. BTW the rear wheels of the tractor are loaded. The total weight of tractor, cutter, and trailer is probably around 5000 lbs. I thought about loading backwards, especially if if I attach the front end loader as well as the cutter. Any thoughts?