6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
There are two trucks that I'm looking at, as I consider whether or not to buy a truck at all, and one has the 6.0 and the other has the 8.1L. Otherwise, the trucks are pretty much the same, one's a 2004 and the other's a 2005, both four doors with an 8' bed, and around the same mileage. The 8.1 does not have the Allison transmission. Both are 2500HDs. The prices are close enough to be negligible.

The 6.0s are much more common, and I like to have things that are common, because of additional resources in knowledge, better parts availability, etc.

So, all other things being equal, which would you buy? This truck would be my daily driver. It would not see any really heavy work, just towing my subcompact TLB (BX24) from time to time, perhaps towing a 3400 pound car on an appropriately sized trailer, and perhaps the occasional rental of a dump trailer for getting sand.

I have heard people mention before that the 6.0 might be a bit too underpowered for a full-length truck like this, but most of that comes from the truck forums where people seem to be more about having their trucks than using their trucks, so I don't really think the opinions are impartial. This is also why I chose to ask here instead of there, since most people seem to select their trucks as tools that they need, not trophies. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any feedback.

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #2  
For the uses that you are describing, the 6.0 should be fine.

I have never owned an 8.1, but I have heard that there are issues with them on rare occasions. A friend had one and beat it senseless and never had an issue with it, so who knows.

Either one is gonna drink some gas though.

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #3  
This truck would be my daily driver. It would not see any really heavy work, just towing my subcompact TLB (BX24) from time to time, perhaps towing a 3400 pound car on an appropriately sized trailer, and perhaps the occasional rental of a dump trailer for getting sand.
6.0l
If you were to tow more weight and on a more regular basis, I would say the 8.1l but you really don't need that much engine or that poor fuel economy for such light towing. The 6.0l is certainly adequate for your needs and much cheaper to maintain and run.

Do they both have the same rear axle ratio?

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #4  
6.0l
If you were to tow more weight and on a more regular basis, I would say the 8.1l but you really don't need that much engine or that poor fuel economy for such light towing. The 6.0l is certainly adequate for your needs and much cheaper to maintain and run.

X2 :thumbsup:

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #5  
There are two trucks that I'm looking at, as I consider whether or not to buy a truck at all, and one has the 6.0 and the other has the 8.1L. Otherwise, the trucks are pretty much the same, one's a 2004 and the other's a 2005, both four doors with an 8' bed, and around the same mileage. The 8.1 does not have the Allison transmission. Both are 2500HDs. The prices are close enough to be negligible.

The 6.0s are much more common, and I like to have things that are common, because of additional resources in knowledge, better parts availability, etc.

So, all other things being equal, which would you buy? This truck would be my daily driver. It would not see any really heavy work, just towing my subcompact TLB (BX24) from time to time, perhaps towing a 3400 pound car on an appropriately sized trailer, and perhaps the occasional rental of a dump trailer for getting sand.

I have heard people mention before that the 6.0 might be a bit too underpowered for a full-length truck like this, but most of that comes from the truck forums where people seem to be more about having their trucks than using their trucks, so I don't really think the opinions are impartial. This is also why I chose to ask here instead of there, since most people seem to select their trucks as tools that they need, not trophies. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any feedback.

Curious as to how an 8.1L came without an Allison, unless you are saying it is a manual??
I would think either truck, but the 8.1L is a fun truck to drive.

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck
So far I'm hearing what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

Good question about the gears. I didn't think to factor that in. Given a choice between two different ratios, I'd probably go with the higher gearing since the truck will be used mostly as a commuter.

Thanks y'all.

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #7  
I have a 2006 2500HD 4x4 with a 6.0, manual transmission, extended cab and 8 foot bed. It gets 10-11 mpg. Doesnt really seem to matter if I am pulling the horses or the car trailer. The 6.0 does everything I need it to. For what you describe I think you will be happy with the 6.0.

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #8  
I like my 2500HD with 6.0L. I have not had a chance to do much towing with it but the truck has power that's for sure. A freind of mine is a masonry contractor with a 3500HD dually. He has the 8.1 with Allison. It is a pulling machine. I have seen him pull loaded trailers out of the mud that a newer PowerStroke couldnt budge. He has 4.10 gears. 8-9 mpg

See this for link to my truck http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/197020-2005-chevy-2500hd-crew-cab.html

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 2,135
   / 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #9  
I would go with the 6.0L for your needs. I have had a couple 8.1L's in boats and while they are a power house they uses oil and gas.

As pulling a load there is no way any gas engine is going to out pull a modern diesel of any brand. It comes down to getting the power to pull the load. In a stuck situation a diesel has so much low end torque it can be a hindrance. I have 2 diesel trucks and have owned 4 and over a dozen gas trucks and I can tell you for a fact that my current gas truck is my preference for snow and mud situations versus my 2 diesels.

In 04/05 the 6.0 was only available with 4.10 gears I believe. The 8.1L could be had with 4.10's or 3.73's

Chris

/ 6.0L vs. 8.1L in a Chevy truck #10  
Of the 2 engines you're looking at, I'd take the 6.0 for the marginally better fuel economy.

Are you sure a 3/4 ton is really the best option for your uses? I'd think a late model half ton, say 05+ with a 5.0L+ V8 and proper gears would do everything you need to do at a much lower operating cost and make a better daily driver than a 3/4 ton. Aside from perhaps the occasional rental of a dump trailer for getting sand, I don't see anything you're planning to tow that should weigh much over 6K, if that. For the difference in operating costs I'm sure you could have your sand delivered and still come out $$$ ahead, or you'd have no problem with a dump trailer with a loaded wt. of 9.5-10K.

A GM 5.3 V8 w/ 3.73 gears, Ford 5.4 V8 w/ 3.73 gears, Ram 5.7 V8 w/ 3.92 gears, Titan w/ 5.6 V8 & towing package, or Tundra w/ 5.7 V8 would all be more than capable of doing what you've mentioned.

Thanks for any feedback.