Storing and toting ratchet straps

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
I'm curious if anyone has discovered or created a clever way of storing ratchet straps, such that you can easily grab some and easily put them back without having to worry about disturbing the other straps that you didn't use.

The picture attached shows the box that I tote my straps around in. It's less than an ideal solution, but it works. I'm thinking of slapping some wood together to make partitioned areas for each strap, but I figured I'd see if anyone else has any ideas.

Straps.jpg

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #2  
Looks like you are all set ! I do pretty much the same thing but on the rescue we wrap them with a couple of wraps of stretch wrap used for moving, I think you can get it at U-Haul.

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #3  
I just pull the strap through the ratchet until the hook and free ends are even, fold carefully four times and tie them in a loose knot.

I keep them in an old nylon camping bag in the back of my truck, and this prevents them from tangling.

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #4  
I even them out like Curly Dave, but then just wrap all the stap around the ratchet handle then lay them side by side under the back seat of my truck. They ride well there and are easy to get at. If I had a small tray to lay them in would maybe be better, I did get one of the straps hung into the latch mechanism once and the seat latch would work. Finally got it free with the strong arms of my son to put some large amount of force on the strap to pull it free. I am more careful now with the loose straps. Wrapping them with the Saranwrap stuff or even putting large rubber band on them would help, but I can never find a rubber band when I need one.

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #5  
Like everyone else, they get stored neatly in a crate or box, but every once in a while, I get in a hurry, and they don't get put back the way I found them. What is even worse is when someone borrows them and doesn't return them, let along put them back neatly. Never happens right!!!:laughing:

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #6  
I have a diamond plate small pickup box mounted on the tongue of my trailer, and have built partitions out of plywood in layers. The bottom layer holds my 4 ratchet binders. The next layer above has the partitions for each of my 2 16 ft 3/8 chains, and my 2 8 ft 3/8 chains. Above that is another lift out layer that has 4 partitions for my 20 ft nylon tie down ratchet straps. I can lift out the top layer with the straps, to get to the chains, and I know if I need to use the chains, after each change is off that layer, I lift it out to get to the binders.

After all that I still have a lot of room for other stuff. Works great for me and I don't have a tangled mess in the back of the P/U.

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #7  
I have a tongue mounted box on my trailer and I store mine by pulling them even and wrapping them up the securing with a ball/bungee.

Chris

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #8  
Lately I've been too lazy but for ages I had a small pail and I'd roll the straps up and layer them in the pail. Then I'd put the wratchet ends loose beside the pail.

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #9  
Actually i do about the same as you have in your picture on my trailer.
But,what i did was mount some of those surplus ammo cans on the side rails of my trailer right ahead of the fenders with some home made brackets.I only have two mounted now,but i'd like to have two more that way i can have stuff seperated better.
Those ammo cans are neat cause i think most of them are sealed pretty good and so far mine stay dry inside regardless of the weather.I keep chains and bungee straps in the one and my ratchet straps in the other.
I thought about mounting a big one up on the topside of the tongue but it would get in the way of my winch setup that i have there now.
Digger2

/ Storing and toting ratchet straps #10  
I'm curious if anyone has discovered or created a clever way of storing ratchet straps, such that you can easily grab some and easily put them back without having to worry about disturbing the other straps that you didn't use.

The picture attached shows the box that I tote my straps around in. It's less than an ideal solution, but it works. I'm thinking of slapping some wood together to make partitioned areas for each strap, but I figured I'd see if anyone else has any ideas.

View attachment 202855

I installed a narrow profile, 6 foot wide aluminum truckbox from TSC on my utility trailer, at first I used a wider one but the rear bumper of a truck came too close to that one on sharp turns. The interior depth of the box is perfect for those plastic tool totes. I carry tiedowns in one, the hitch bar, lock, quick links, etc, in another, and the jack, dolly wheel, etc, in the third. Everything is weather protected and I can lock the box for security. Just ran out and took these pics. The tool totes have dividers and they are perfect for the use they get, I can reach in and pull out the whole tote of straps should I want. The toolbox was only $106 with tax at TSC, well worth the expense.

Attachments

• BB pics 311 021.jpg
    BB pics 311 021.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 370
  • BB pics 311 022.jpg
    BB pics 311 022.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 453
  • BB pics 311 023.jpg
    BB pics 311 023.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 285
  • BB pics 311 024.jpg
    BB pics 311 024.jpg